Rory?

[name]Hi[/name] everyone, I posted a while back asking for name suggestions and got some really good advice, I came up with a couple of names and then went for my ultrasound and its a BOY!! yay. Well the name I liked was [name]Mason[/name] [name]Grant[/name], I still really like it, But I really want this boy to have a part of my grandfather’s name who passed away this [name]June[/name]. His name was [name]Roy[/name] [name]Joseph[/name].
My little brothers name is [name]Joseph[/name] so I wont be using that, I want to use something very similar to [name]Roy[/name] or something with the same meaning.

When speaking to my Mom last night she suggested [name]Rory[/name]. I really like it, but I was hoping to get some other opinions from you guys and then also My daughters name is [name]Riley[/name] and I have another son named [name]Dylan[/name]. I’m afraid that [name]Rory[/name] is a little too close to [name]Riley[/name] and then also its not nearly as popular as the other too so would that make it too different but still too close? I’m also open to any other suggestions you guys may have on names that have the same meaning as [name]Roy[/name]( it means red haired man or [name]King[/name].) I like [name]Rowan[/name] and it has the same meaning but my husband doesnt… Help please!

I think [name]Rory[/name] is too close to [name]Riley[/name]. Why not use [name]Roy[/name] as a middle name? I think [name]Mason[/name] [name]Roy[/name] would be pretty cool. [name]Ray[/name] is close to [name]Roy[/name] as well.

[name]Rory[/name] and [name]Riley[/name]… don’t do it!!! I would suggest [name]Leroy[/name]/[name]Elroy[/name] … but that is just one letter away from being a jumbled version of [name]Riley[/name].

Names with similar meanings… [name]Roy[/name] means red - Irish Gaelic, and king - Old French.

Other names with “red” meaning:
[name]Ormond[/name] - Irish/Gaelic - red
Harkin - Irish/Gaelic - dark red
[name]Read[/name]/[name]Reed[/name]/[name]Reid[/name] (any spelling you like really…) - Old English - red
[name]Roth[/name] - Old [name]German[/name] - red
[name]Russell[/name] - Old French - little red
Edom (variant of [name]Adam[/name]) - Hebrew - red (as in earth - red earth/[name]Clay[/name])
[name]Clay[/name] - Old English - clay… earth/red earth =)

Names with “king” meaning:
[name]Basil[/name] - Greek - royal/kingly
[name]Delroy[/name] - French - king
[name]Fitzroy[/name] - Old French - son of the king
Kingman - Old English - Kings man
[name]Kingsley[/name] - Old English -Kings meadow
[name]Kingston[/name] - Old English -Kings settlement
Kingswell - Old English -Kings well
[name]Kenley[/name] - Old English - Kings meadow
Kerrick - English - Kings rule
[name]Rex[/name] - Latin - king
[name]Rey[/name] - Spanish - king
Rexton - Old English - Kings town
[name]Rexford[/name] - Old english - Kings ford
[name]Ryan[/name] - Gaelic - king
[name]Royce[/name] - Old English/French - son of the king

[name]Kingston[/name] and [name]Kenley[/name] are both trendy names that might fit your style. [name]Reid[/name], [name]Ryan[/name] and [name]Russell[/name] are two classic names that I think would work well. I also like [name]Rex[/name] a lot but that is a guilty pleasure of mine. =)

If you want a name with a SOUND like [name]Roy[/name], then I would suggest [name]Royce[/name].

[name]Riley[/name], [name]Dylan[/name] and [name]Kingston[/name] - very trendy names - a solid and easy choice!
[name]Riley[/name], [name]Dylan[/name] and [name]Kenley[/name] - People might think [name]Kenley[/name] is a girl… hmm… probably not the best choice.
[name]Riley[/name], [name]Dylan[/name] and [name]Reid[/name] - [name]Love[/name] it!!
[name]Riley[/name], [name]Dylan[/name] and [name]Ryan[/name] - Too similar sounding…
[name]Riley[/name], [name]Dylan[/name] and [name]Russell[/name] - [name]LOVE[/name] IT!
[name]Riley[/name], [name]Dylan[/name] and [name]Royce[/name] - Also love it!!!
[name]Riley[/name], [name]Dylan[/name] and [name]Rex[/name] - I like this combo personally. =)
[name]Riley[/name], [name]Dylan[/name] and [name]Clay[/name] - I like this too.

Good luck to you, I hope this was helpful in your quest for the perfect name!

Oh gosh, I think [name]Royce[/name] is a great suggestion! [name]Riley[/name] and [name]Royce[/name] are adorable together, plus you get the obvious connection to your grandfather. I feel [name]Rory[/name] and [name]Riley[/name] are a little too close, not to mention if I met the sibset and heard the names, I honestly wouldn’t know which was the boy and which was the girl.

Thanks for your suggestions, DH and I think [name]Rory[/name] and [name]Riley[/name] are too close as well.
Leysin thanks for all the time you put into your list! :smiley:
My grandfather was french so I feel like a french name meaning would be better or a name that sounds very similar.
I’m on the fence about [name]Royce[/name], DH doesnt like it at all.
[name]Leroy[/name] is my older brothers name, so we cant use that, and I’m not really sold on [name]Elroy[/name] either. I agree with you on all your suggestions and advice 100 percent.

So here are some names that might work.

[name]Reid[/name]- I love this one but I’m not sure if its close enough to [name]Roy[/name] and then again far enough from [name]Riley[/name]… I thought of using this as a middle name, [name]Mason[/name] [name]Reid[/name] as an example, [name]Mason[/name] being the only name the hubby likes so far besides [name]Rory[/name](and I think my jaw hit the floor when I asked him what he thought and he responded, thats a cool name, we could name him that.) thats never happened before.
[name]Kingston[/name]- I like this one, I’m going to run it by the hubs.
I liked several of your other names including [name]Rex[/name] :slight_smile: but I have to edit by all the things I KNOW DH wont like.
Hes more of the trendier one then I am lol I have to do a lot of editing on my own lists so that I don’t hear a lot of grief or get any odd looks, he acts like I’m a hippy and might name him tree or something :slight_smile: .

LOL [name]Gigi[/name] I understand what you mean, [name]Rory[/name] and [name]Riley[/name] together looks like they are twins and I didnt have a lot of creativity, they might be boys or girls, you wouldnt be able to tell.

I also agree with Triceratops that as a fall back we could always use [name]Roy[/name] as a middle name, but it just feels like we put no thought into it and I really have a problem with three letter middle names! I know this sounds ridiculous but my son middle name is [name]Lee[/name] after my father who passed away and the short middle name drives me crazy lol. Thats probably just me though.

If anyone has any more suggestions I’m open for them! And Thanks I was still on the fence but now I’m sure that [name]Rory[/name] would be a bad choice.