Rough & Tumble Ideas/Thoughts?

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] all! We are most likely expecting our 2nd son (ultrasound will reconfirm in a couple weeks).

Our first is [name_m]Wilder[/name_m]. I find I’m very draw to boy names that [name_m]FEEL[/name_m] like [name_m]Wilder[/name_m]. I want to call them rough and tumble…but then I also think of his name as so literary-inspired since I grew up on [name_f]Laura[/name_f] Ingalls [name_m]Wilder[/name_m]. Either way, I love it and want something that feels like it.

Here are some options we are going over…I would love your opinion or even ideas for new names!

[name_m]Shepherd[/name_m] “[name_m]Shep[/name_m]”
[name_m]Stone[/name_m] “[name_m]Stoney[/name_m]”
[name_m]Hawthorn[/name_m] “[name_m]Hawk[/name_m]”
Flectcher “[name_m]Fletch[/name_m]”
[name_m]Ace[/name_m]
Townes
[name_u]Dash[/name_u]
[name_u]Sullivan[/name_u] “[name_u]Sully[/name_u]”
[name_m]Ransom[/name_m]

Thanks so much!

Ok, I pretty much adore all the names of your list! With [name_m]Wilder[/name_m], I particularly love [name_m]Stone[/name_m] ‘[name_m]Stoney[/name_m]’ [name_m]Hawthorn[/name_m] ‘[name_m]Hawk[/name_m]’ and Townes. My favourite is [name_m]Hawthorn[/name_m] ‘[name_m]Hawk[/name_m]’. I think it matches [name_m]Wilder[/name_m] wonderfully.
My least favourites are [name_m]Ace[/name_m] and [name_u]Dash[/name_u]. [name_u]Dash[/name_u] reminds me of the Kardashians. I think I would prefer [name_m]Dashiell[/name_m] ‘[name_u]Dash[/name_u]’.

With [name_m]Wilder[/name_m], I like:

[name_m]Shepherd[/name_m] “[name_m]Shep[/name_m]”
[name_m]Hawthorn[/name_m] “[name_m]Hawk[/name_m]”
[name_u]Sullivan[/name_u] “[name_u]Sully[/name_u]”

I think these three hit that sweet spot of rough-and-tumble, outdoorsy, but also classy surname names.

I love [name_m]Wilder[/name_m]! I like [name_m]Shepherd[/name_m] and [name_m]Hawthorn[/name_m] best with [name_m]Wilder[/name_m].

More ideas:
[name_m]Griffin[/name_m]
[name_m]Talon[/name_m]
[name_m]Ryker[/name_m]
[name_m]Archer[/name_m]
[name_m]Arrow[/name_m]
[name_m]Axel[/name_m]
[name_m]Maddox[/name_m]
[name_u]Lennox[/name_u]

I really love [name_m]Hawthorn[/name_m] “[name_m]Hawk[/name_m]”, and [name_m]Fletcher[/name_m] “Fletch”… both definitely have the same vibe as [name_m]Wilder[/name_m].

Other ideas:
[name_m]Forrest[/name_m]
[name_m]Clifford[/name_m] (nn [name_m]Cliff[/name_m])
[name_m]Ridge[/name_m]
[name_m]Cove[/name_m]
[name_u]Zephyr[/name_u]
[name_m]Clayton[/name_m] (nn [name_m]Clay[/name_m])
[name_u]Slate[/name_u]

I like [name_m]Fletcher[/name_m] best.

[name_m]Shepherd[/name_m] “[name_m]Shep[/name_m]” - [name_m]Shep[/name_m] is cute, but [name_m]Shepherd[/name_m] has too much of a religious connotation for my taste.
[name_m]Stone[/name_m] “[name_m]Stoney[/name_m]” - this seems “cold” to me and of course, jokes about getting “stoned”
[name_m]Hawthorn[/name_m] “[name_m]Hawk[/name_m]” - it’s a mouthful
[name_m]Ace[/name_m] - uber-pretentious + the jokes…ace in the hole, [name_m]Ace[/name_m] [name_f]Ventura[/name_f], ace of spades, hearts, etc.
Townes - this sounds more like British aristocracy than rough and tumble
[name_u]Sullivan[/name_u] “[name_u]Sully[/name_u]” - this is getting rather popular, but it could work
[name_u]Dash[/name_u] - it’s a puntuation mark + more jokes…slap-dash, dash away, dash away, dash away all.
[name_m]Ransom[/name_m] - the kidnapping association makes it unusable.

I adore [name_m]Shepherd[/name_m] with [name_m]Wilder[/name_m]. [name_m]Fletcher[/name_m] would he my next choice, then [name_m]Hawthorne[/name_m]. Other ideas:
[name_m]Thatcher[/name_m]
[name_m]Booker[/name_m]
[name_m]Orson[/name_m]
[name_m]Forrest[/name_m]
[name_m]Jasper[/name_m]
[name_m]Atlas[/name_m]
[name_m]Heath[/name_m]

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] there.

[name_m]Wilder[/name_m] is dashing!

[name_m]How[/name_m] about…

[name_m]Beckett[/name_m]

Catcher

[name_m]Clive[/name_m]

[name_m]Hank[/name_m]

[name_u]Jem[/name_u]

[name_m]Thatcher[/name_m]

[name_m]Tucker[/name_m]

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps. :slight_smile:

I really love this style of name and think [name_m]Hawthorne[/name_m] ([name_m]Hawk[/name_m]) and [name_m]Shepherd[/name_m] would be great stylistic fits. Other ideas:

[name_u]Onyx[/name_u]
[name_m]Fox[/name_m]
[name_u]Denali[/name_u]
[name_u]Everest[/name_u]
[name_m]Wells[/name_m]
[name_m]Hart[/name_m]
[name_m]Rafferty[/name_m]
[name_u]Dash[/name_u]
[name_m]Duke[/name_m]
[name_m]Huck[/name_m]
[name_m]Bridger[/name_m]
[name_m]Bastien[/name_m] (Bash)
[name_m]Hardy[/name_m]
[name_m]Whistler[/name_m]
[name_m]Fisher[/name_m]
[name_u]Hollis[/name_u]
[name_f]Indie[/name_f]
[name_u]Zephyr[/name_u]
[name_u]Memphis[/name_u]
[name_f]Kodiak[/name_f]

I [name_u]LOVE[/name_u] [name_m]Shepherd[/name_m] and [name_u]Sullivan[/name_u] with [name_m]Wilder[/name_m]. They’re both perfect matches! I also agree with PP’s suggestion of Everest. Another perfect match!

I really like these two with Wilder

Hawthorn “Hawk”
Dash- i prefer Dashiell NN:Dash

Other ideas

Everett “Ever” “Rhett”
Barrett “Bear” “Rhett”
Bodhi “Bo”
Orson “Sonny” “Bear”
Tully
Calix
Remington /Remy
Corben
Cato
Kaius “Kai”
Vaughn
Boone
Quaide
Hoyt
Maverick “Mack”
Cassius “Cash” (cash-us)
Crispin “Kip”
Dax
Hollis
Kipling “Kip”
Nash
Memphis
Campbell
Bellamy
Tierney
Deveraux
Everest
Garrick

[name_u]Love[/name_u] [name_m]Shepherd[/name_m], [name_m]Hawthorn[/name_m] and [name_m]Fletcher[/name_m] with [name_m]Wilder[/name_m]. Townes is really cool but maybe a little tough to wear as a first? I don’t know, I really love it and would totally use it as a middle. Have you thought about [name_u]Roscoe[/name_u] or [name_m]Rocco[/name_m] instead of [name_m]Ransom[/name_m]?

[name_m]Briggs[/name_m] or [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] read “rough and tumble” to me.

[name_u]Love[/name_u] [name_m]Hawthorne[/name_m] “[name_m]Hawk[/name_m]”, it goes so well with [name_m]Wilder[/name_m]. Both are rough and tumble, both are literary. They. It’s have that wild and free nature-y feel.

From your list, I like [name_u]Dash[/name_u] and [name_u]Sullivan[/name_u] “[name_u]Sully[/name_u]”. [name_m]Fletcher[/name_m] is okay, but I really don’t like the others. Here are some other ideas: [name_u]Spencer[/name_u], [name_m]Ramsey[/name_m], [name_m]Wiley[/name_m].

We call my son [name_m]Wiley[/name_m] some! So I do like that one. [name_m]Ramsey[/name_m] I have on the list as well but wondered if it might be unisex, which we are not after…

I wish I loved [name_m]Dashiell[/name_m] more or there was a full name option I liked but so far I have yet to find one!!

Also from your list I love [name_m]Bear[/name_m]! [name_m]Don[/name_m]’t think hubby would allow bc i would totally do [name_m]Huckleberry[/name_m], no [name_m]Bear[/name_m] :wink:

[name_m]Maverick[/name_m] was on our list as well but it’s busted top 100 surprisingly and is very popular in our area.

I’ve tried to sell my husband on [name_m]Rafferty[/name_m] for quite some time - but no budging!! It’s super cool. :slight_smile:

Im so glad you commented on the name [name_u]Dash[/name_u] - you’re sooo right and now I’m done with it forever. Off the list it goes!!

[name_u]Roscoe[/name_u] is neat and one to ponder on…

[name_m]Rocco[/name_m] is also got a cool vibe to it, but we already have one on my husband’s side of the family!