Round Two - Preliminary Girls List

See the results of this poll: Please Choose Your Favorite

Respondents: 29 (This poll is closed)

• Ellery Louise Johnson: 11 (38%)
  • Isla Louise Johnson: 18 (62%)

This was such a tough choice! I like them about equally. To force a preference, I tried imagining I was choosing one for my own daughter - and still couldn’t decide. I had to resort to imagining which one I would want to be called. I chose [name]Isla[/name], but they are both very nice!

To be honest with you, I don’t think either name is ideal, and I prefer [name]Clara[/name] to both. Let me tell you why…

[name]Both[/name] [name]Ellery[/name] and [name]Isla[/name] are very L-heavy names (as is [name]Clara[/name], to an extent), and thus they really don’t flow well with [name]Louise[/name] at all. Especially in the case of [name]Isla[/name], [name]Isla[/name] [name]Louise[/name] is quite difficult to say - try it aloud! So, if I am forced to pick one, I will choose [name]Ellery[/name] [name]Louise[/name], because the Y ending of [name]Ellery[/name] helps to balance a bit of the L-heaviness. However, [name]Ellery[/name] reminds me of celery, so I believe the clear winner is [name]Clara[/name]. Furthermore, [name]Ellery[/name] is listed on Nameberry as a male name…

Since you like [name]Ellery[/name], you may like other surname names, such as:

[name]Ainsley[/name] - Though you run into the same problem with [name]Louise[/name]…
[name]Arden[/name]
[name]Blair[/name]
[name]Cassidy[/name]
[name]Darby[/name]
[name]Kirby[/name]
[name]Lacey[/name]
[name]Quinn[/name]
[name]Shelby[/name]
[name]Spenser[/name]
[name]Tatum[/name]
[name]Tawny[/name]
[name]Tierney[/name]

However, some of these names are bordering on trendy - [name]Ainsley[/name], [name]Cassidy[/name], [name]Kirby[/name] - while others are a bit dated - [name]Lacey[/name], [name]Shelby[/name].

If you like [name]Isla[/name], you may like other Scottish names, such as [name]Paisley[/name] and [name]Rowan[/name]. You may like more feminine Scottish names such as [name]Fiona[/name] or [name]Caitriona[/name] ([name]Katrina[/name])…

I second lemon’s post (though I do consider [name]Ellery[/name] more feminine than masculine). But to me it’s no contest”[name]Clara[/name] [name]Louise[/name] is absolutely gorgeous :slight_smile:

Ahhh, but we are attracted to the bi-gender names (if that’s the right term). My wife has one and she loves it! Thus we were drawn to [name]Charlie[/name], [name]Auden[/name], now [name]Ellery[/name]. I’m not too worried about the L-heaviness because the middle name won’t often be spoken and I like the sound of [name]Ellery[/name] [name]Johnson[/name]. She’d probably be known as [name]Elle[/name].

When I put on my final two Super Bowl, I’ll explain in more detail why I like each name.

Ahhh, but we are attracted to the bi-gender names (if that’s the right term). My wife has one and she loves it! Thus we were drawn to [name]Charlie[/name], [name]Auden[/name], now [name]Ellery[/name]. I’m not too worried about the L-heaviness because the middle name won’t often be spoken and I like the sound of [name]Ellery[/name] [name]Johnson[/name]. She’d probably be known as [name]Elle[/name].

When I put on my final two Super Bowl, I’ll explain in more detail why I like each name.[/quote]

Like I said - if I had to pick one to move on, it would be [name]Ellery[/name], as [name]Ellery[/name] [name]Louise[/name] is light-years ahead of [name]Isla[/name] [name]Louise[/name]. [name]Isla[/name] [name]Louise[/name] is a serious tongue-twister, and even if you will rarely use the middle name, I think it is important to notice and try to work around. You want the perfect name, and I wouldn’t want it tainted by something so, well, superficial.

Might you be attracted to any of the other names on the list I provided of unisex (or bi-gender, if you prefer) names?

My picks for you are [name]Tierney[/name], [name]Tawny[/name], [name]Tatum[/name], and [name]Quinn[/name]…

When I put on my final two Super Bowl, I’ll explain in more detail why I like each name.[/quote][/quote]

Thanks for the ideas [name]Lemon[/name]. Not loving on any of them however. Hoping for an original name with no associations for me - it’s a difficult task:

[name]Ainsley[/name] - Though you run into the same problem with [name]Louise[/name]…[name]True[/name]
[name]Arden[/name] - [name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Arden[/name]
[name]Blair[/name] - From Facts of Life
[name]Cassidy[/name] - Saun [name]Cassidy[/name]
[name]Darby[/name] - [name]Darby[/name]'s Rangers (good movie)
[name]Kirby[/name] - [name]Kirby[/name] Puckett
[name]Lacey[/name] - wife’s cousin’s name, don’t like her that much.
[name]Quinn[/name] - [name]Robert[/name] [name]Shaw[/name]'s character in Jaws
[name]Shelby[/name] - not a big fan of the [name]Ford[/name] Mustang
[name]Spenser[/name] - [name]Spenser[/name] For Hire
[name]Tatum[/name] - [name]Tatum[/name] O’neil
[name]Tawny[/name] - [name]Love[/name] drinking [name]Tawny[/name] [name]Port[/name] but wouldn’t name my daughter after it.
[name]Tierney[/name] - [name]Gene[/name] [name]Tierney[/name]

I guess using this logic I should eliminate [name]Ellery[/name] because of [name]Ellery[/name] [name]Queen[/name] AND cellery problem. :frowning:

Wow! Okay, definitely don’t want any of those, then…

[name]How[/name] about any of these? I’ve included possible associations and problems. If you don’t care for these, you’ve still got a winner in [name]Clara[/name]!

[name]Arley[/name] [name]Louise[/name] - [name]Harley[/name]? No, [name]Arley[/name]. [name]Early[/name]? No, [name]Arley[/name]…
[name]Cady[/name] [name]Louise[/name] - [name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Cady[/name] [name]Stanton[/name]…
[name]Ginny[/name] [name]Louise[/name] - [name]Ginny[/name] Weasley, gin, [name]Virginia[/name]…
[name]Halsey[/name] [name]Louise[/name] - [name]Admiral[/name] [name]William[/name] [name]Frederick[/name] [name]Halsey[/name] of WWII…
[name]Kitty[/name] [name]Louise[/name] - [name]Katherine[/name] diminutive, [name]Kitty[/name] [name]Hawk[/name], cats…
[name]Mercy[/name] [name]Louise[/name] - [name]Madonna[/name]'s daughter…
[name]Pacey[/name] [name]Louise[/name] - [name]Dawson[/name]'s Creek male character…
[name]Perry[/name] [name]Louise[/name] - [name]Matthew[/name] [name]Perry[/name], [name]Katy[/name] [name]Perry[/name], Perrier, and Sperry…
[name]Posy[/name] [name]Louise[/name] - “[name]Ring[/name] around a rosie, a pocket full of posies…”
[name]Tory[/name] [name]Louise[/name] - The Tories, [name]Torrey[/name] Pines, and [name]Victoria[/name]…

Or, swing to the male side and pick up [name]Bellamy[/name], with the cute, feminine nicknames of [name]Bella[/name] and [name]Belle[/name]! I think your best bets are [name]Cady[/name] - because who wouldn’t want to be named for a pioneer of women’s rights? - and [name]Halsey[/name] - because [name]Admiral[/name] [name]Halsey[/name] was a hero of World War II. I knew a [name]Halsey[/name], and she was a pretty, athletic, intelligent blond - I always admired her name. I’ll throw [name]Bellamy[/name] in there, too, because it is pretty cute…

Good luck, norsedad!

I think “[name]Clara[/name] [name]Louise[/name]” is beautiful and classic (a winner in my opinion). Personally I have always liked the sound of “[name]Isla[/name]” but not the look of it. I really like dearest’s suggestion of “[name]Eira[/name]” (pronounced eye-ra) as it is a longstanding favorite of mine. It means “snow” in welsh and “mercy” in scandinavian. It has a similar feel and sound to it as “[name]Isla[/name]” but a completely different look and it’s not all that popular here in the US. So my second choice would be “[name]Eira[/name] [name]Louise[/name]”, bu I still think “[name]Clara[/name] [name]Louise[/name]” is your best option.

• Good [name]Luck[/name]!

I definitely prefer [name]Clara[/name] too! If I am correct, this poll is a way for you to check out opinions of these two names before comparing the “better” one to [name]Clara[/name]. So voting on this thread has nothing to do with eliminating (or competing with) [name]Clara[/name]. [name]Per[/name] your initial post, it is just to see which of these names will compete against [name]Clara[/name] later in “Round Three.” With all the feedback comparing these names to [name]Clara[/name], maybe another poll won’t be necessary. I just want to clarify that my vote here has nothing to do with preferring either name over [name]Clara[/name]. [name]Clara[/name] is my favorite!

[name]Hi[/name]! I love [name]Isla[/name] so much, but it’s hard for me to say with [name]Louise[/name]. I love the sound of [name]Ellery[/name] [name]Louise[/name] (it’s fun to say, and I don’t get tripped up on the L sounds at all).

If I’m voting for which name I like better, I’ll go with [name]Isla[/name], but I can also see the appeal of [name]Ellery[/name], and think it’s a great unisex name. (It’s also listed as a girls’ name on Nameberry: https://nameberry.com/babyname/girl/[name]Ellery[/name])

I still love [name]Clara[/name] [name]Louise[/name] the most, but if you’re looking for a unisex name, I think that [name]Ellery[/name] is great! (Did I mention [name]Emery[/name] before? You may like that, too…)

Good luck! :slight_smile:

Correct. The winner of this pole goes up against [name]Clara[/name] (and maybe a wild card) in the Super Bowl.

[name]Love[/name] [name]Clara[/name] [name]Louise[/name]! My daughter was with me when I was looking at the above poll. I asked her which name she liked the best, and she picked [name]Isla[/name].

I think that [name]Clara[/name] is clunky and plain but I think that [name]Isla[/name] is so pretty and feminine, [name]Ellery[/name] I would be able to say yes to simply because I love the names [name]Elle[/name] and [name]Ella[/name].

I voted for [name]Isla[/name] [name]Louise[/name] I think it is lovely!

I voted for [name]Isla[/name] [name]Louise[/name]…very pretty. also love [name]Clara[/name]…