Rowan- boy or girl?

I love [name]Rowan[/name]. My concern: is this name going to the girls? [name]Brooke[/name] Shields has a daughter named this.

I think of this as a boys name…I love it!!

I much prefer [name]Rowan[/name] for a boy. I prefer most unisex names on a girl, but this one just sounds so masculine to me.

When I heard [name]Brooke[/name] Shields named her daughter [name]Rowan[/name], I was probably only 8 at the time, I didn’t care for it at all. I actually came up with names I thought the baby looked more like instead!

[name]Rowan[/name] is girl to me. But, it’s a no-go for hubby because it reads boy to him. I think that this one could go either way in the next few years.

Its in boy land for me…and its one of my hubby’s favorite boy names :slight_smile:

I love it for both! Same with [name]Elliott[/name].

i think rowan is a girls name one of my best friends name is [name]Rowan[/name] and i also know a boy [name]Roan[/name] i think that is the boy version.

I think it works very well with both genders. What about [name]Ronan[/name], [name]Rolan[/name] or [name]Rohan[/name]?

I think of it as either a boys’ name or a trendy girls’ name (you know, the whole boys’-names-on-girls trend).

If it doesn’t bother you that it’s used on both boys and girls, you should go for it! If, however, you’re annoyed by it being used on girls, it’s probably not the name for you.

[name]Roan[/name] or [name]Roman[/name] could perhaps be other options…

Good luck! :slight_smile:

Since 2003 the name has ranked for both genders on the SSA list, but the boys have had a slight majority with this name throughout that time. If you like the name [name]Rowan[/name] for a boy I think that it’s a great choice (and it’s one of my favorites)!

I love the name [name]Rowan[/name] for a boy!

Thanks for the input!

I think [name]Rowan[/name] is truly a unisex name. I also love the name, however I am thinking of using it if we have a girl.

I think [name]Rowan[/name] for a boy. It is in the pool for girls names to choose from, but that is for people to choose a boys name for a girl, that’s not like [name]David[/name] or [name]Stuart[/name] or [name]Zachary[/name] - sort of ambiguous. It works for some girls but I think it’s still a good boy name. I hesitate to think it would become a full-blown girls name like [name]Ashley[/name] or [name]Taylor[/name] or [name]Madison[/name]. There’s something about it I don’t think most parents would choose it for a girl than a boy, and many parents aren’t choosing from masculine names at all for girls.