Rowena vs. Owen

Which does everyone like better for a girl? [name]Rowena[/name] (said Rowin-uh) possibly shortened to “[name]Owen[/name]”, or just plain [name]Owen[/name]? Middle name would be [name]Mercy[/name] either way.

[name]Owen[/name] for a girl?? :?

[name]Rowena[/name], 100%. It’s pretty, sophisticated, and underused.

Oh [name]Rowena[/name] is precious! I adore that name. [name]Owen[/name] doesn’t seem suitable for a girl, but the nn [name]Rowan[/name] or Rowie is cute!

I think [name]Owen[/name] is adorable for a girl-using it for a girl makes it unique. I thought [name]Rowena[/name] sounded too old ladyish and stuffy. Does anyone think that? [name]Rowena[/name] also has very strong personal meaning behind it for me, which is one of the reasons I’m hanging on to it. If I go w/ [name]Rowena[/name], I will probably use n.n [name]Owen[/name], Rowie is cute though.

[name]Rowena[/name] is technically pronounced ro-EE-na, if you care. I think it’s a much smarter choice than [name]Owen[/name]. [name]Owen[/name] on a girl doesn’t make it unique, it just makes things complicated. It’s great as a nickname, but I think it would be horribly confusing for a girl on its own. I’d like to second the suggestion of [name]Rowan[/name]- it’s sort of the best of both worlds: recognizable on girls, but not stuffy sounding.

[name]Rowena[/name] SHOULD be pronounced Row-EN-uh actually. Row-ee-nuh is most common but isn’t true to the Welsh pronunciation.

I love [name]Rowena[/name] and adore [name]Rowen[/name] or Rowie as nn’s but please don’t use [name]Owen[/name] on a girls birth certificate! Maybe as a nn but not as a given name. I live in [name]Wales[/name] and so know lots of male [name]Owen[/name]'s including one of my best friends and it’s such a handsome name for a boy. [name]Rowena[/name]'s so pretty and you can still nn her [name]Rowen[/name] or [name]Owen[/name] so there’s no need to use [name]Owen[/name] as a first name in my opinion.

Another Welsh O name that springs to mind: [name]Olwen[/name]. Only one letter out from [name]Owen[/name] and it was the name of a legendary princess in Welsh mythology. When she walked, a path of white flowers would spring up behind her and that’s basically what the name means [name]Ol[/name] - “behind” and Wen “white”.

There’s also [name]Anwen[/name] which means very beautiful and has a similar style. Or Awen/Awena which both mean muse and are also girls names that are very similar to [name]Owen[/name]. I love that meaning! :slight_smile:

Good luck!

Not feeling [name]Owen[/name] for a girl… but [name]LOVE[/name] PP’s suggestion of [name]Olwen[/name]!

Rowena SHOULD be pronounced Row-EN-uh actually. Row-ee-nuh is most common but isn’t true to the Welsh pronunciation.

http://www.behindthename.com/name/rowena

Thanks Daisy451 but I speak Welsh fluently so I’ll believe myself :slight_smile: hehe. The “wen” sound would never be pronounced “ween” in Welsh! As I said, most people say [name]Ro[/name]-EE-nuh but that’s because most people (including people in [name]Wales[/name]) don’t speak Welsh. It’s the same as [name]Enid[/name] which is most commonly pronounced EE-nid but should actually be pronounced EN-id as it’s a Welsh word meaning soul or spirit and that’s how the word is really said.

But, the original poster can pronounce it whichever way they want at the end of the day! If I ever used [name]Rowena[/name] or [name]Enid[/name] myself, I’d pronounce them the way I know is correct but I would accept that most everyone else would pronounce them the most commonly known ways!

I’m not liking [name]Owen[/name] at all for a girl. I think singer [name]Michelle[/name] [name]Branch[/name] has a little girl named [name]Owen[/name].

I’m not always opposed to boys-names-on-girls, but in this case I think [name]Owen[/name]'s kind of fugly on a girl. I asked my husband what he thought of it, just to get an opinion from someone who isn’t completely name-obsessed like me, and his exact words were, “I think I just threw up in my mouth a little.” :frowning:

I think [name]Rowan[/name]/[name]Rowen[/name] would be an excellent alternative. [name]Olwen[/name] is also very nice, but some other options you might like:

• [name]Arwen[/name]
  • [name]Anwen[/name]
  • [name]Bronwen[/name]
  • Elowen
  • [name]Nolwenn[/name] (Nameberry lists the pronunciation as Nohl-[name]VEN[/name], but French pop singer [name]Nolwenn[/name] [name]Leroy[/name] pronounces it Nohl-wen.)

I really don’t care for [name]Owen[/name] on a girl! But [name]Rowena[/name] is absolutely beautiful, pronounced properly as Row-eh-nuh! I would love to see it used more often.

I love the meaning behind [name]Olwen[/name], but to me that name looks even more masculine than [name]Owen[/name]. Why does everyone have such a problem with [name]Owen[/name] for a girl when there are tons of boys names that are used for girls these days…the first one that comes to mind is [name]Ryan[/name]…I think [name]Owen[/name] is a great choice for either gender.

Hmm…Well, I suppose that’s because, for those who aren’t a fan of using boys-names-on-girls, [name]Owen[/name] on a girl is just the thin end of the wedge. We know that there are a lot of traditional boys names on girls, but that doesn’t mean that we like it. It’s a bit like dentist appointments - we know they come around all the time - we just wished they didn’t. *
For people like myself who is half-Welsh (and I think ljandrl said she is Welsh) the name is so traditionally male, so seeped in history, that for me my brain reacts the same way to a prospective girl called [name]Owen[/name] as it would to a girl called [name]Albert[/name]. Does that make sense?

*I hope that doesn’t comes across as snarky. It isn’t in anyway meant to be.

[name]Owen[/name] has quite a strong male identity --ranked #51 for boys – whereas it doesn’t rank at all in the top 1000 for girls. [name]Ryan[/name] on the other hand, came into the top 1000 way back in the 70s for girls, so it has has several decades for people to get used to seeing it on a girl.

I actually like [name]Rowena[/name], but I can understand your concern about it seeming stuffy. Personally though it wouldn’t bother me - especially as the moldy-oldy names ([name]Violet[/name], [name]Beatrix[/name], [name]Edith[/name]) are now the height of name-chic!
I do like [name]Rowen[/name]/[name]Rowan[/name] as an alternative. It is a relatively new addition to the name charts and ranks quite low for boys and girls so it hasn’t got a specific gender identity. And has the added bonus of being fairly uncommon :slight_smile:

I do like [name]Rowen[/name]/[name]Rowan[/name], but it is becoming more and more common. [name]Brooke[/name] Shields used it for her daughter a few years back, I’ve babysat for two girl [name]Rowan[/name]/[name]Rowen[/name]'s, and know yet at least two boys with the name (one spelled [name]Rowyn[/name], which in my opinion is a terrible way to spell it on a boy!) All of these kids are five and under. I sometimes fear that it’s becoming the new “[name]Aidan[/name]/[name]Aaden[/name]”. Yikes.

It is always a possibility - although it does only rank down in the 400s for girls at the moment. It will take at least 10 years for it to break the top 50.

Would you consider Elowen? It’s pronounced ‘el-OH-en’ (like el-[name]Owen[/name]’) It’s a Cornish name that means ‘elm tree’. It has the advantages of sounding like just [name]Owen[/name]; being distinctly feminine; and also is very rare and unique (for the US at least).

I like Elowen. Very pretty and I have never heard it before. I’m afraid it seems like a little bit of a mouthful. I love how it looks written out though. I will keep Elowen in mind. Thanks!

I much prefer [name]Rowen[/name], which is a form of [name]Rowena[/name], to [name]Rowena[/name]. My cousin named her second daughter [name]Rowen[/name] and everyone thinks it’s just lovely. I don’t think it’s going to become overused anytime soon. I have to agree with those who say [name]Owen[/name] has a strong male identity.

[name]Rowen[/name] is very pretty. I ended up liking [name]Rowena[/name] because for years I was obsessed with the name “[name]Ravenna[/name]”, but after awhile I realized that I really liked how it looked, but didn’t so much care for how it sounded. So I thought about using “[name]Rowena[/name]” as an alternative.