Royal Name Thread

Thought that instead of making separate threads for minor royals, I’d make one overall thread (counting out “big” royals like [name]William[/name] and [name]Catherine[/name], of course). [name]Hope[/name] it isn’t an inconvenience :slight_smile:

The [name]Duke[/name] and Duchess of Apulia, [name]Prince[/name] Aimone and [name]Princess[/name] [name]Olga[/name] of Savoy (originally [name]Princess[/name] of Greece) welcomed a daughter on [name]December[/name] 14. Her name is/will be [name]Isabella[/name] [name]Vita[/name] [name]Marina[/name].

She was named after her great-grandmother, [name]Princess[/name] [name]Isabelle[/name] of Orléans, and her maternal grandmother, [name]Marina[/name] Karella.

A sister for [name]Umberto[/name] (2009) and [name]Amedeo[/name] [name]Michele[/name] (2011).

[name]Prince[/name] [name]Daniel[/name] and [name]Princess[/name] [name]Sandra[/name] of [name]Saxony[/name] welcomed a daughter on [name]January[/name] 13. Her name is [name]Anna[/name]-[name]Catharina[/name] [name]Sophie[/name].

[name]Prince[/name] [name]Georg[/name] [name]Friedrich[/name] and [name]Princess[/name] [name]Sophie[/name] of Prussia (originally [name]Princess[/name] of Isenburg) welcomed twin sons on [name]January[/name] 20. Their names will be [name]Carl[/name] [name]Friedrich[/name] and [name]Louis[/name] [name]Ferdinand[/name].

The elder twin, [name]Carl[/name], was possibly named after [name]Karl[/name] [name]Friedrich[/name], [name]Prince[/name] of Hohenzollern (head of the Princely House of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen), and the younger twin, [name]Louis[/name], was named after [name]Prince[/name] [name]Georg[/name]'s father, [name]Prince[/name] [name]Louis[/name] [name]Ferdinand[/name] of Prussia.

Lady [name]Rose[/name] [name]Gilman[/name] (née [name]Windsor[/name]), daughter of the [name]Duke[/name] and Duchess of Gloucester, and Mr. [name]George[/name] [name]Gilman[/name] welcomed a son in [name]October[/name]/[name]November[/name] 2012. His name will be [name]Rufus[/name] and he’ll be christened tomorrow at [name]Kensington[/name] [name]Palace[/name] Chapel.

A brother for [name]Lyla[/name] [name]Beatrix[/name] [name]Christabel[/name] [name]Gilman[/name] (2010).

1 Like

[name]Rufus[/name] and [name]Lyla[/name]. Such a gorgeous sibset, thanks for the update!

♔ Prince Gabriel José and Princess Luciana of Orleans-Braganza welcomed their first child, a son, on 12 April. His name is Gabriel Pedro.

♔ [name]Princess[/name] [name]Felipa[/name] of Bavaria and Mr. [name]Christian[/name] Dienst welcomed their first child, a son, on 15 [name]April[/name]. His name is [name]August[/name].

♔ [name]Princess[/name] [name]Caroline[/name] [name]Napoleon[/name] and Mr. [name]Eric[/name] Querenet-Onfroy de Bréville welcomed their second child, a son, in [name]April[/name] 2013. His name is [name]Augustin[/name].

A brother for [name]Elvire[/name] (2010)

♔ [name]Prince[/name] [name]Alexander[/name] and [name]Princess[/name] [name]Elisabeth[/name] of Auersperg-Breunner (née [name]Flick[/name]) welcomed their third child together, a daughter, in [name]April[/name] 2013. Her name is Séverine [name]Eloise[/name].

A sister for [name]Aloysius[/name] (2006) and [name]Balthasar[/name] (2011).

♔ [name]Prince[/name] [name]Floris[/name] and [name]Princess[/name] Aimée of [name]Orange[/name]-Nassau, van Vollenhoven (née Söhngen) welcomed their third child and first son, on 1 [name]July[/name] 2013. His name is [name]Willem[/name] [name]Jan[/name] [name]Johannes[/name] [name]Pieter[/name] [name]Floris[/name]. He will be known as [name]Willem[/name] [name]Jan[/name].

A brother for [name]Magali[/name] [name]Margriet[/name] Eleonoor (2007) and [name]Eliane[/name] [name]Sophia[/name] [name]Carolina[/name] (2009).

♔ [name]Princess[/name] Mélanie of Ligne and her husband, [name]Paul[/name] Weingarten, welcomed a son, Félix, on 27 [name]May[/name] 2013.

The full names of the twins are [name]Carl[/name] [name]Friedrich[/name] [name]Franz[/name] [name]Alexander[/name] and [name]Louis[/name] [name]Ferdinand[/name] [name]Christian[/name] [name]Albrecht[/name].

♔ [name_m]Lord[/name_m] [name_m]Frederick[/name_m] [name_u]Windsor[/name_u] and [name_f]Sophie[/name_f], Lady [name_m]Frederick[/name_m] [name_u]Windsor[/name_u], welcomed their first child, a daughter, [name_f]Maud[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] [name_f]Daphne[/name_f] [name_f]Marina[/name_f], on 15 [name_u]August[/name_u] 2013.

She was named after [name_f]Princess[/name_f] [name_f]Maud[/name_f] of [name_m]Wales[/name_m], [name_f]Queen[/name_f] of Norway; [name_f]Queen[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] II; and her great-grandmother, [name_f]Princess[/name_f] [name_f]Marina[/name_f], the Duchess of [name_m]Kent[/name_m]. Supposedly, [name_f]Daphne[/name_f] is a name from [name_f]Sophie[/name_f]'s side of the family.

1 Like

[name_f]Maud[/name_f] was born on [name_f]Princess[/name_f] [name_f]Anne[/name_f]'s birthday [name_u]August[/name_u] 15th. At least they chose one of her mn’s [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]. :slight_smile: I like the combo!

I had really high hopes for [name_f]Anne[/name_f] to slip into the name somehow sigh but I guess [name_f]Anne[/name_f] wouldn’t approve of that (she doesn’t seem like the kind of person who would particularly enjoy such emotional boohockey :D). I’m glad (and slightly surprised) that they included [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]. I am also glad (and not the least surprised) that they included [name_f]Marina[/name_f].

I think it would have been sweet if [name_f]Anne[/name_f] had been included, but, like you said, [name_f]Anne[/name_f]'s not the type for emotional gestures! I love how all the names have significance to them, and overall it is a lovely combination. I especially love how [name_f]Daphne[/name_f] breaks up all the “royal” names.

Loving all these names! I wish I could choose such elaborate names for my children!

♔ [name_f]Princess[/name_f] [name_f]Vanessa[/name_f]-[name_f]Irina[/name_f] of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg and her husband, [name_m]Pieter[/name_m] Haitsma Mulier, welcomed their third child and first son, [name_m]Louis[/name_m]-[name_m]Gaspard[/name_m] [name_m]Otto[/name_m] [name_m]George[/name_m], on 14 [name_u]August[/name_u] 2013.

A brother for [name_f]Selina[/name_f] [name_f]Isabella[/name_f] [name_f]Annette[/name_f] [name_f]Marie[/name_f] (2007) and [name_f]Felicia[/name_f] [name_f]Catharina[/name_f] [name_f]Anna[/name_f] [name_f]Antonia[/name_f] (2010).

♔ [name_u]Andrea[/name_u] Casiraghi and [name_f]Tatiana[/name_f] [name_m]Santo[/name_m]-[name_m]Domingo[/name_m] welcomed their first child, a son, [name_u]Sasha[/name_u], on 21 [name_u]March[/name_u] 2013.

Late update because I was waiting for a confirmation of the name

[name_m]Lord[/name_m] [name_m]Frederick[/name_m] has said that [name_f]Maud[/name_f] is for the [name_f]Princess[/name_f] [name_f]Maud[/name_f] of [name_m]Wales[/name_m], [name_f]Queen[/name_f] of Norway, and [name_f]Princess[/name_f] [name_f]Maud[/name_f], [name_f]Countess[/name_f] of Southesk; [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] is a tribute to the [name_f]Queen[/name_f]; [name_f]Daphne[/name_f] is for [name_f]Sophie[/name_f]'s grandmother; and [name_f]Marina[/name_f] is for [name_m]Frederick[/name_m]'s grandmother, the Duchess of [name_m]Kent[/name_m].

[name_f]Princess[/name_f] [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] of [name_u]Sweden[/name_u] expecting her first child with husband [name_m]Christopher[/name_m] O’[name_m]Neill[/name_m] in [name_u]March[/name_u]! I wonder what they’ll choose? Something that works well in both Swedish and English I guess. But considering [name_f]Victoria[/name_f] chose [name_f]Estelle[/name_f] for the heir, [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] really could name her kid anything … (Well maybe not [name_f]Nevaeh[/name_f] [name_f]Tindra[/name_f]-[name_u]Lee[/name_u], but you get what I mean.) And how “royal” will the combo be - three or four names? :slight_smile:

Since they aren’t going to be titled, I think they’ll have popular Swedish names that works in English backed up with 2/3 middle names (I could perfectly see them only giving two middles).

I was thinking something like:
[name_m]Carl[/name_m]-[name_m]Johan[/name_m] [name_m]Gustaf[/name_m] [name_m]Paul[/name_m] ([name_m]Bertil[/name_m])
[name_m]Hugo[/name_m] ([name_m]Bertil[/name_m]) [name_m]Gustaf[/name_m] [name_m]Paul[/name_m]
[name_m]Oscar[/name_m] [name_m]Paul[/name_m] [name_m]Gustaf[/name_m] ([name_m]Johan[/name_m])
[name_u]Theo[/name_u] [name_m]Gustaf[/name_m] ([name_m]Oscar[/name_m]) [name_m]Paul[/name_m]

[name_f]Alice[/name_f] [name_f]Eva[/name_f] [name_f]Silvia[/name_f] (Desirée)
[name_f]Alma[/name_f] [name_f]Silvia[/name_f] ([name_f]Lilian[/name_f]) [name_f]Eva[/name_f]
[name_f]Saga[/name_f] [name_f]Silvia[/name_f] [name_f]Eva[/name_f] ([name_f]Josephine[/name_f])
[name_f]Sofia[/name_f] [name_f]Eva[/name_f] [name_f]Silvia[/name_f] ([name_f]Alice[/name_f])

I think they might be saving [name_m]Bertil[/name_m] and [name_f]Lilian[/name_f] (as first names) for [name_f]Victoria[/name_f] and [name_m]Daniel[/name_m]. I was on the edge about [name_m]Carl[/name_m]-[name_m]Johan[/name_m] as well, because I know that [name_m]Carl[/name_m]-[name_m]Johan[/name_m] Bernadotte also meant a lot to [name_f]Victoria[/name_f], but I think it’s more likely that they will go with [name_m]Bertil[/name_m] for a boy because of [name_m]Prince[/name_m] [name_m]Bertil[/name_m]'s great work for the Swedish [name_m]Royal[/name_m] Family.

[name_f]Silvia[/name_f]/[name_f]Eva[/name_f]: Maternal/paternal grandmothers
[name_m]Gustaf[/name_m]/[name_m]Paul[/name_m]: Maternal/paternal grandfathers