Royal Name Thread

I’m not sure at all they’d do the same kind of naming after grandparents that [name_f]Victoria[/name_f] and [name_m]Daniel[/name_m] did. The king’s own children aren’t named like that, so there is no such “rule”. All women on [name_u]Chris[/name_u]'s mother’s side that I’ve been able to find middle names for, share the MN [name_f]Maria[/name_f], so I think that’s a given. Maybe [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] as a middle name too, as it’s both [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f]'s mn and [name_u]Chris[/name_u]'s grandmother’s name.

Your first names and especially the style of them generally seem plausible, I think, however:

• I think [name_m]Carl[/name_m]-[name_m]Johan[/name_m] might count as taking up two spots of a combo, so he’d only have one or two middles, probably?
  • [name_f]Saga[/name_f] just might be too undignified for the royals - it’s a name that’s walking a thin line between the fact that it’s Old Norse (thus very proper) and the fact that it means fairytale (not that proper).
  • And [name_f]Sofia[/name_f] just isn’t happening - not only is that prince [name_m]Carl[/name_m] [name_m]Philip[/name_m]'s girlfriend, [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] is also rumoured not to be thrilled about said girlfriend …

I’m thinking something like this for first names:
[name_f]Amelie[/name_f], [name_f]Aurora[/name_f], [name_f]Clara[/name_f], [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f], [name_f]Elise[/name_f], [name_f]Elsa[/name_f], [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f], [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f], [name_f]Josephine[/name_f], [name_f]Lilian[/name_f], [name_f]Louise[/name_f], [name_f]Norah[/name_f], [name_f]Pauline[/name_f], [name_f]Penelope[/name_f], [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f]
[name_m]Alexander[/name_m], [name_m]Arthur[/name_m], [name_u]August[/name_u], [name_m]Axel[/name_m], [name_m]Carl[/name_m], [name_m]Edmund[/name_m], [name_m]Edward[/name_m], [name_m]Henry[/name_m], [name_m]Hugo[/name_m], [name_m]Oscar[/name_m], [name_m]Theodor/name_m, [name_m]Walter[/name_m], [name_m]Wilhelm[/name_m]
Some family names, other just seemed the right style.

I always forget about [name_f]Sofia[/name_f] Hellqvist (I believe I also wrote it down on my list of guesses for [name_f]Estelle[/name_f]), must be because I don’t care for her (I’m just gonna sit over here and miss [name_f]Emma[/name_f] Pernald), but I see that it would be a problem calling this bub [name_f]Sofia[/name_f]. As I suggested [name_f]Sofia[/name_f], I thought of [name_f]Sofia[/name_f] of Nassau who would’ve been a great namesake.

I do think that they’re going to honour the grandparents, but I agree that they might use [name_f]Maria[/name_f] instead of [name_f]Eva[/name_f] (which would also prevent the ‘[name_f]Silvia[/name_f] [name_f]Eva[/name_f]’ thing to happen). They could also just use [name_m]Carl[/name_m] instead of [name_m]Gustaf[/name_m] and honour a various range of people. [name_u]Chris[/name_u] was given his father and grandfather’s name as a middle, so I’m quite confident that [name_m]Paul[/name_m] will make a feature in the bub’s name. [name_f]Victoria[/name_f] is named after [name_f]Silvia[/name_f]'s mum, [name_f]Alice[/name_f] Sommerlath (née Soares de Toledo) and [name_m]Carl[/name_m] [name_m]Philip[/name_m] is named after the [name_m]King[/name_m]'s father, [name_m]Prince[/name_m] [name_m]Gustaf[/name_m] [name_m]Adolf[/name_m], who was known as [name_m]Edmund[/name_m].

I stand by [name_f]Saga[/name_f] :smiley: Does [name_f]Saga[/name_f] mean fairytale in Swedish? Because here in Denmark it means “a say”. Anyway, their children (most likely) aren’t going to be royals. While one can’t compare the situation to that of [name_f]Princess[/name_f] [name_f]Christina[/name_f] (since she lost her her style of [name_m]Royal[/name_m] Highness when she married Tord Magnuson and [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] has remained a [name_m]Royal[/name_m] Highness and Duchess of Hälsingland and Gästrikland), it is strongly presumed that her children will be ‘commoners’ so to speak, and only receive their father’s last name. And [name_f]Saga[/name_f] O’[name_m]Neill[/name_m], how adorable is that?

[name_m]Edmund[/name_m] is a great suggestion (and a nice nod to the [name_m]King[/name_m]'s father who was called [name_m]Edmund[/name_m]), but [name_m]Victor[/name_m] Magnuson has a son named [name_m]Edmund[/name_m], so sadly I don’t know how likely that is. Perhaps as a middle. I also fully stand by your suggestions of [name_m]Theodor[/name_m] and [name_f]Clara[/name_f] :slight_smile:

It’s a little annoying sometimes that [name_f]Sofia[/name_f] has such a good royal name! :wink: But I like that she’s [name_f]Sofia[/name_f] [name_f]Kristina[/name_f] and her father is [name_m]Erik[/name_m] [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] - say what you want about [name_f]Sofia[/name_f], but namewise, she’s perfect for the Swedish royal family.

And of course I think they’ll honour somehow, just not necessarily in the strict “grandparent A’s first name, grandparent B’s first name” way that [name_f]Estelle[/name_f] has.

[name_f]Saga[/name_f] does indeed mean fairytale. :slight_smile: And even if [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f]‘s children will be commoners, I doubt they’ll have just any ‘common’ names … I’m not saying it’s absolutely implausible, and don’t get me wrong now because [name_f]Saga[/name_f] has been one of my very favourite names for 15 years, but it just seems non-royal to me. But I would like a [name_f]Saga[/name_f] O’[name_m]Neill[/name_m]. :slight_smile:

Yes, I know of [name_m]Victor[/name_m]'s [name_m]Edmund[/name_m] … But on the other hand, another of [name_f]Victoria[/name_f]'s cousins, can’t remember which one, has an [name_f]Estelle[/name_f]!

I know! She has such a regal name, perhaps her parents predicted that she would have relations to a [name_m]Prince[/name_m] in the future. Still can’t make me like her though, she’s just way too pleased about herself being in the spotlight for me. But whatever, if only she makes [name_m]Carl[/name_m]-[name_m]Philip[/name_m] happy.

That makes sense :slight_smile:

Oh yeah, that’s right. I believe it’s one of Désirée’s grandchildren. I’m still slightly bummed out that [name_f]Victoria[/name_f] and [name_m]Daniel[/name_m] didn’t use [name_f]Lilian[/name_f] if they had to go out of the ordinary. I just always thought that [name_f]Princess[/name_f] [name_f]Lilian[/name_f] was closer to [name_f]Victoria[/name_f] than [name_f]Estelle[/name_f] Bernadotte. But yeah, if [name_f]Victoria[/name_f] and [name_m]Daniel[/name_m] can get away with calling their firstborn [name_f]Estelle[/name_f], god knows what [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] and [name_u]Chris[/name_u] are gonna call their children.

When [name_f]Estelle[/name_f] was born, my mother predicted that [name_f]Victoria[/name_f] would definitely have two more children before she’s 40 (four years left). A princess [name_f]Lilian[/name_f] and a prince [name_m]Edmund[/name_m], if I were to decide. ^^ Or they could have a whole set of E names. [name_f]Estelle[/name_f], [name_m]Edmund[/name_m], [name_m]Eugen[/name_m], [name_m]Erik[/name_m], [name_f]Eleonora[/name_f] … They won’t have that many children, of course. But they could. :wink:

Yeah, I barely know why were even discussing the matter. XD Or well, because it’s fun of course, but …

♔ The Lady [name_f]Frances[/name_f] von Hofmannsthal (née [name_m]Armstrong[/name_m]-[name_m]Jones[/name_m]; [name_f]Frances[/name_f] is the youngest daughter of [name_m]Antony[/name_m] [name_m]Armstrong[/name_m]-[name_m]Jones[/name_m], the 1st [name_m]Earl[/name_m] of Snowdon, and thereby half-sister to the late [name_f]Princess[/name_f] [name_f]Margaret[/name_f]'s two children, [name_m]David[/name_m] and [name_f]Sarah[/name_f]) and her husband, [name_m]Rodolphe[/name_m] von Hofmannsthal, welcomed their third child and second daughter, [name_f]Sybil[/name_f] [name_f]Sabrina[/name_f] [name_f]Ernestine[/name_f], in late [name_f]September[/name_f] 2013.

A sister for [name_u]Rex[/name_u] [name_m]Antony[/name_m] [name_m]Octavian[/name_m] and [name_f]Maud[/name_f] [name_f]Dolores[/name_f] [name_f]Diamond[/name_f].

♔ [name_m]Prince[/name_m] [name_m]Carlos[/name_m] and [name_f]Princess[/name_f] [name_f]Annemarie[/name_f] of [name_m]Bourbon[/name_m]-Parma, the [name_m]Duke[/name_m] and Duchess of Parma, welcomed their second daughter, Cécilia [name_f]Maria[/name_f] [name_f]Johanna[/name_f] [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f], on 17 [name_f]October[/name_f] 2013 (unfortunately too early, the little [name_f]Princess[/name_f] was due for the end of [name_u]November[/name_u] and weighed only 1500 grams at birth - but both mum and bub are believed to be alright knock on wood).

A sister for [name_f]Luisa[/name_f] [name_f]Irene[/name_f] [name_f]Constance[/name_f] [name_f]Anna[/name_f] [name_f]Maria[/name_f] (2012).

♔ [name_f]Princess[/name_f] [name_f]Julia[/name_f] Eilika of Anhalt and her partner, [name_m]Fabien[/name_m] [name_m]Harte[/name_m], welcomed their second child and first daughter, [name_f]Julia[/name_f] Philine, on 1 [name_f]September[/name_f] 2013. She is to be called Philine, just like her mum goes by her second name, Eilika.

A sister for [name_m]Leopold[/name_m] (2011)

I know :slight_smile: But [name_f]Victoria[/name_f] notoriously has always been really close to [name_f]Princess[/name_f] [name_f]Lilian[/name_f], so it really came as a surprise to me that she picked [name_f]Estelle[/name_f] over her (though [name_f]Estelle[/name_f] Bernadotte was a quite remarkable woman as well). I had also thought that she would go with a more traditional name such as [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] or Désirée.

♔ Rostislav Romanov and his girlfriend, Foteini Georganta, welcomed their first child, [name_m]Mikhail[/name_m], earlier this year.

♔ [name_f]Princess[/name_f] [name_f]Isabella[/name_f] of Hohenberg and her husband, Franziskus Bagusat, welcomed their first child, [name_m]Antonius[/name_m], earlier this year.

It has just been announced from the Swedish court that [name_f]Princess[/name_f] [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] of [name_u]Sweden[/name_u], the Duchess of Hälsingland and Gästrikland, and Mr. [name_m]Christopher[/name_m] O’[name_m]Neill[/name_m] are expecting a little girl as presumed.

I wish all Royals would keep things under wraps. A little mystery is a good thing when it comes to the monarchy. It’s really none of anyone’s business but the couple themselves.

I would as well, but Svensk Damtidning had tracked down a profile on a baby shower wishlist site (or whatever) made by a certain “[name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] Bernadotte” which contained the due date and gender of the baby, so they had to come out and confirm whether it in fact was [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f]'s profile, which it then turned out to be.

♔ [name_m]Philipp[/name_m], the 5th [name_m]Prince[/name_m] of Stolberg-Wernigerode and his wife, Leonille (née [name_f]Countess[/name_f] [name_u]Douglas[/name_u]), welcomed their third child, a girl named [name_f]Eloise[/name_f], earlier this year.

A sister for [name_f]Elena[/name_f] (2007) and [name_m]Carl[/name_m] (2010)

♔ [name_f]Donna[/name_f] [name_f]Olga[/name_f] dei Principi Corsini and her husband, Côme de Valbray, welcomed their second daughter, [name_f]Giulia[/name_f], in late [name_f]October[/name_f] 2013.

A sister for [name_f]Livia[/name_f] (2010)

For a royal who is so well-educated, it was a poor decision on her part to use her maiden name on the baby shower wishlist. I mean, how many [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] Bernadottes are there who are expecting? [name_m]Even[/name_m] if she used her married name, the secret probably would have been figured out by avid royal watchers. A lesson for us all: if you don’t want to reveal personal information, don’t post it on the internet. :slight_smile:

Indeed. But I generally think that [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] and [name_u]Chris[/name_u] have made some really bad decisions recently. I mean, [name_m]Christopher[/name_m] refused to receive a dukedom upon marrying [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] to retain his American citizenship (fair enough, I would have done the same thing); [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] and [name_m]Christopher[/name_m] continue to live in [name_u]America[/name_u] (fair enough as well, [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] does a lot of work for the World Childhood Foundation); and they seemingly want to be as anonymous and private as possible (fair to some extent though [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] will never be a private person as long as she is a member of the Swedish [name_m]Royal[/name_m] Family), but somehow the little girl will still made made a Swedish [name_f]Princess[/name_f] (and it sounds like she won’t even be born on Swedish soil) - that just don’t make sense. You can’t want a private life for you and your family and live in a completely different country, while still demanding that your children will be royal. I think something has got lost in translation for [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] there. To be a part of the royal family (which the little [name_f]Princess[/name_f] will be), you must work for your title (especially in a monarchy as unstable as the Swedish one) and you can’t be a private person. Everything would have been much easier had she given up her place in the line of succession to the throne upon marrying [name_u]Chris[/name_u], just like her aunts were forced to do.

Ugh, this became so long (and pardon for that :D), but we were on the subject of [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] and bad decisions, so I couldn’t resist.

Can’t believe that I had forgotten all about the other little Corsini girl:

♔ [name_m]Don[/name_m] [name_m]Cosimo[/name_m] dei Principi Corsini (eldest brother of [name_f]Donna[/name_f] [name_f]Olga[/name_f]), [name_m]Marquess[/name_m] of Tresana, and his wife, [name_f]Chiara[/name_f] (née Laudanna), welcomed their second child and first daughter, [name_f]Violante[/name_f], on 2 [name_f]October[/name_f] 2013.

A sister for [name_m]Giovanni[/name_m] (2012)

♔ Archduchess [name_f]Marie[/name_f] [name_f]Christine[/name_f] of [name_f]Austria[/name_f] and her husband, [name_m]Count[/name_m] [name_m]Rodolphe[/name_m] de Limburg-Stirum, welcomed their second child, a son named [name_m]Constantin[/name_m], on 25 [name_f]October[/name_f] 2013.

A brother for Léopold (2011).

♔ Archduke [name_m]Imre[/name_m] (younger brother of [name_f]Marie[/name_f] [name_f]Christine[/name_f]) and Archduchess [name_f]Kathleen[/name_f] (née [name_u]Walker[/name_u]) of [name_f]Austria[/name_f] welcomed their first child, a daughter named [name_f]Maria[/name_f] [name_f]Stella[/name_f], on 11 [name_u]November[/name_u] 2013.

♔ [name_f]Princess[/name_f] Lioba of Lobkowicz and her husband, [name_m]Christian[/name_m] Schneider, welcomed their fourth child and second daughter, [name_f]Cecilie[/name_f], earlier this year.

A sister for [name_f]Philomena[/name_f]-[name_f]Sophie[/name_f] (2008), Nepomuk (2009) and [name_m]Vincent[/name_m] (2011).

♔ [name_m]Count[/name_m] [name_m]Edward[/name_m] [name_m]Gustaf[/name_m] (grandson of the amazing lady who [name_f]Princess[/name_f] [name_f]Estelle[/name_f] of [name_u]Sweden[/name_u] was named for) and [name_f]Countess[/name_f] [name_f]Nathalie[/name_f] (née Frediani) Bernadotte of Wisborg welcomed their first child, a son named [name_m]Leonardo[/name_m] [name_m]Folke[/name_m], on 15 [name_f]September[/name_f] 2013.