Royal Names

I have been watching a show about [name]Queen[/name] [name]Vic[/name], and became intrigued when they mentioned she had 9 children, I wondered what were they all named? Interesting how many of these names are reappearing!
1.[name]Victoria[/name] [name]Adelaide[/name] [name]Mary[/name] [name]Louise[/name] (nn [name]Vicky[/name])
2.[name]Edward[/name] [name]Albert[/name]
3.[name]Alice[/name] [name]Maud[/name] [name]Mary[/name]
4.[name]Alfred[/name] [name]Ernest[/name] [name]Albert[/name] (nn [name]Affie[/name])
5.[name]Helena[/name] [name]Augusta[/name] [name]Victoria[/name] (nn Lenchen -a short form of [name]German[/name] Helenchen as [name]Albert[/name] was [name]German[/name])
6.[name]Louise[/name] [name]Caroline[/name] [name]Alberta[/name]
7.[name]Arthur[/name] [name]William[/name] [name]Patrick[/name] [name]Albert[/name]
8.[name]Leopold[/name] [name]George[/name] [name]Duncan[/name] [name]Albert[/name]
9.[name]Beatrice[/name] [name]Mary[/name] [name]Victoria[/name] [name]Feodore[/name]

Interesting to note:
ALL of the 4 boys had [name]Albert[/name] in their name. The same name appears on multiple children!
[name]One[/name] of the 5 girls also had [name]Albert[/name] in the feminine form [name]Alberta[/name]!
The other girls all had [name]Victoria[/name] in their name.
Except [name]Alice[/name]… I wonder if she felt left out not to be named after one of her parents like the others?

Oh and interestingly:
[name]Queen[/name] [name]Victoria[/name]'s full name is [name]Alexandrina[/name] [name]Victoria[/name].
I note [name]Alexandrina[/name] (or variants) weren’t used for any of the children.
[name]Prince[/name] [name]Albert[/name]'s full name is [name]Francis[/name] [name]Albert[/name] [name]Augustus[/name] [name]Charles[/name] [name]Emmanuel[/name].

Grandparent names used: [name]Louise[/name], [name]Edward[/name], [name]Feodora[/name] (used as [name]Feodore[/name])

Anyway- thought I would share as I found it interesting.

[name]Royal[/name] names are always such mouthfuls! I get a bit bored of them to be honest, just because they’re so repetitive… [name]Alexandrina[/name] [name]Victoria[/name] is cool - I didn’t know that was her full name. I hope [name]Wills[/name] and [name]Kate[/name] give their kids slightly different names! Especially after he went and married a [name]Catherine[/name] to add to the trillions of royal Catherines/Katherines before her haha.
My favourite royal name is [name]Zara[/name] :slight_smile:

Who knows, maybe they will call a daughter [name]Victoria[/name]! LOL

I hope they use [name]Alexandrina[/name] or [name]Maud[/name].

I really love [name]Alexandrina[/name]. I would probably only use [name]Maud[/name] as a middle or if I were as rich as [name]Wills[/name] and [name]Catherine[/name] though.

I dislike [name]Victoria[/name] compared to [name]Alexandrina[/name].

I liked off the list of children: [name]Mary[/name], [name]Alice[/name], [name]Maud[/name], [name]Augusta[/name], [name]Caroline[/name], [name]Arthur[/name], [name]William[/name], [name]Patrick[/name], and [name]Beatrice[/name].

I wouldn’t use [name]Mary[/name] or [name]Maud[/name] in real life though. Okay maybe [name]Maud[/name] if I were feeling brave. I would use the others.

[name]Emmanuel[/name] is a favourite but I don’t know if I could use it.

I could never give multiple children the same name but I’m from such a different cultural background to [name]Victoria[/name] it wouldn’t make any sense and also would horrify people. It’s considered very bad luck in my culture to name after people who are still alive.

I love the names of [name]Queen[/name] [name]Victoria[/name]'s children! Whenever I’m writing about a character living in the Victorian era, I look to her children’s names for insperiation.

I never knew her full name was [name]Alexandria[/name] Vicotira. [name]One[/name] of her grandughters was [name]Alix[/name] [name]Viktoria[/name] [name]Helena[/name] [name]Luise[/name] [name]Beatrice[/name], who later became Tstarista [name]Alexandra[/name] Feodorovna. Maybe her earlier, [name]German[/name] name was for her grandmother.

I do hope that when the [name]Duke[/name] and Duchess of Cambridge have a baby, they’ll use one of [name]Victoria[/name]'s names. They’re so pretty and interesting!
(I was just reading of latter French royalty, and they had some royal family member named Clémentine! For some reason, I found it very interesting.)

• [name]Athena[/name]

Apparently nearly all her children married and become royals in other countries and [name]Victoria[/name] has a nickname of “the grandmother of Europe”.

I really liked [name]Alexandrina[/name] too. Interesting about [name]Alix[/name] [name]Viktoria[/name] [name]Helena[/name] [name]Luise[/name] [name]Beatrice[/name]- nearly every sister got a look in with that one!