Ruby is perfect, and I can't use it

I did it to myself - I named my 9 year old dog [name_u]Ruby[/name_u]. And now, thinking about a sister for [name_f]Eliza[/name_f], I realize how much it’s the perfect name. It’s vintage, but spunky. Not too serious sounding, but not a nickname. It works with our last name (no small feat) and is a word / nature name (as is [name_f]Eliza[/name_f]'s middle name).

Any [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] alternative suggestions you can give me??

[name_m]How[/name_m] about…

[name_f]Beatrice[/name_f]
[name_f]Cecily[/name_f]
[name_f]Clara[/name_f]
[name_f]Clementine[/name_f]
[name_f]Georgia[/name_f]
[name_f]Georgina[/name_f]
[name_f]Guinevere[/name_f]
[name_f]Ivy[/name_f]
[name_f]Marguerite[/name_f]
[name_f]Sadie[/name_f]

Short names
[name_f]Ruth[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]
[name_f]Phoebe[/name_f]

[name_m]Long[/name_m] names
[name_f]Mirabelle[/name_f]
[name_f]Arabella[/name_f]

[name_f]Ivy[/name_f] is the first thing that came to mind. Other good choices: [name_f]Lucy[/name_f], [name_u]June[/name_u], [name_f]Ada[/name_f], [name_f]Maggie[/name_f], [name_f]Della[/name_f], [name_f]Georgia[/name_f], [name_u]Josie[/name_u], [name_f]Sadie[/name_f], [name_f]Tessa[/name_f], [name_f]Vera[/name_f], [name_f]Willa[/name_f], [name_f]Zelda[/name_f], [name_f]Nora[/name_f], [name_f]Stella[/name_f], [name_f]Freya[/name_f], [name_f]Margo[/name_f], [name_f]Rita[/name_f], [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f].

My first thought was [name_f]Pearl[/name_f].

[name_f]Phoebe[/name_f]
[name_f]Daphne[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]/[name_f]Lucie[/name_f]
[name_f]Lilian[/name_f]
[name_f]Viola[/name_f]
[name_f]Fiona[/name_f]
[name_f]Maple[/name_f]
[name_u]Seren[/name_u]

My initial thought is [name_f]Lucy[/name_f].

Others:
[name_f]Iris[/name_f]
[name_f]Delia[/name_f]
[name_f]Stella[/name_f]
[name_f]Scarlett[/name_f]
[name_f]Violet[/name_f]
[name_f]Lily[/name_f]

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps!

[name_f]Ivy[/name_f]
[name_f]Gemma[/name_f]
[name_f]Annabel[/name_f]
[name_f]Sylvie[/name_f]
[name_f]Stella[/name_f]
[name_u]Clare[/name_u]
[name_f]Emerald[/name_f]
[name_f]Esme[/name_f]
[name_f]Emmeline[/name_f]
[name_f]Jade[/name_f]
[name_f]Opal[/name_f]
[name_f]Pearl[/name_f]

Thank you for all your responses! Almost all of these fall right in my “style” zone, though I’ve never really fallen in love with any. For some reason, [name_f]Ivy[/name_f] has never really been a name I gravitated towards, even though it checks ALL the boxes for the perfect name. I may let that one sit for awhile. I’m having trouble with the poison ivy and [name_u]Blue[/name_u] [name_f]Ivy[/name_f] © connections.

Others that are all on my list, but I’m not committed to yet:

A [name_f]Cora[/name_f] variation
Something that gets me to [name_f]Evie[/name_f], but nothing has felt like the “right” long name
[name_f]Stella[/name_f] and [name_f]Stella[/name_f]

But just 5 minutes ago I remembered that I was OBSESSED with [name_f]Ingrid[/name_f] when I ttc the first one. Dh totally nixed it, but I still love it. He only see the gym teacher [name_f]Ingrid[/name_f], but I see the quirky art girl [name_f]Ingrid[/name_f]. I love the Scandinavian vibe to it. [name_f]Freya[/name_f] too - though I’m not in love with “F” names for a strange reason.

To get to “[name_f]Evie[/name_f]”:

[name_f]Evette[/name_f]
[name_f]Evanthe[/name_f]
[name_f]Evadne[/name_f]
[name_f]Evaine[/name_f]
[name_u]Everly[/name_u]
[name_f]Evita[/name_f]
[name_f]Evangeline[/name_f]
[name_u]Evelyn[/name_u]

If you really still love the name [name_f]Ingrid[/name_f] (or if you wanted to with [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] either but your looking for alternatives but still) you could see if maybe they might warm up to the idea of having it as the middle name?

Another [name_f]Evie[/name_f] nn idea – [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f]!

I have to agree with everyone else who mentioned [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f]. I think it’s perfect.

Other suggestions:

[name_f]Eliza[/name_f] & [name_f]Poppy[/name_f]

[name_f]Eliza[/name_f] & [name_f]Blythe[/name_f]

[name_f]Eliza[/name_f] & [name_f]Leonie[/name_f]

Sorry for any repeats but here are some that fit at least one of the marks (though I tried to pick ones that had multiple things you like)
[name_f]Adelaide[/name_f]
[name_f]Alexandrine[/name_f]
[name_f]Alice[/name_f]
[name_f]Amber[/name_f]
[name_f]Amethyst[/name_f]
[name_f]Annabelle[/name_f]
Annalia
[name_f]Annika[/name_f]
[name_u]Arden[/name_u]
[name_f]Astrid[/name_f]
[name_u]Auden[/name_u]
[name_f]Aurelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Aurora[/name_f]
Aven
[name_f]Azalea[/name_f]
[name_f]Beatrice[/name_f]
[name_f]Briar[/name_f]
[name_f]Caroline[/name_f] (possible nn [name_f]Cara[/name_f] or stretch [name_f]Cora[/name_f])
[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]
[name_f]Christine[/name_f]
[name_f]Claire[/name_f]
[name_f]Colette[/name_f]
[name_f]Coral[/name_f] (nn [name_f]Cora[/name_f])
[name_f]Coralie[/name_f] (nn [name_f]Cora[/name_f])
[name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] (nn [name_f]Cora[/name_f], fits many things including nature b/c deals w/ water)
[name_f]Crystal[/name_f]
[name_f]Dalia[/name_f]
[name_f]Delia[/name_f]
[name_f]Delta[/name_f]
[name_u]Dove[/name_u]
[name_u]Echo[/name_u]
[name_u]Eden[/name_u]
[name_f]Edith[/name_f] (can have nn [name_f]Evie[/name_f])
[name_u]Ember[/name_u]
[name_u]Emery[/name_u]
[name_m]Even[/name_m] (nn [name_f]Evie[/name_f])
[name_u]Ever[/name_u] (nn [name_f]Evie[/name_f])
[name_f]Evynn[/name_f] (nn [name_f]Evie[/name_f] yes, pronounced like [name_u]Evan[/name_u]. It’s a unisex name. I’ve met an adorable little girl who pulled off the name amazingly)
[name_f]Feather[/name_f]
[name_f]Felicity[/name_f]
[name_f]Fern[/name_f]
[name_f]Flora[/name_f]
[name_f]Florence[/name_f]
[name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] (nn [name_f]Evie[/name_f] I think this is a repeat Sry if it is but it does work)
[name_f]Hazel[/name_f]
[name_f]Heather[/name_f]
[name_f]Iris[/name_f]
[name_u]Ivory[/name_u]
[name_u]Juniper[/name_u]
[name_u]Kay[/name_u]
[name_f]Kristen[/name_f]
[name_f]Lacy[/name_f]/[name_f]Lacey[/name_f]
[name_f]Lark[/name_f]
[name_f]Lavender[/name_f]
[name_f]Lisette[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]
[name_u]Lyric[/name_u]
[name_f]Maren[/name_f]
[name_f]Marilyn[/name_f]
[name_f]Maisie[/name_f]
[name_u]Mason[/name_u] (can have nn [name_f]Maisie[/name_f])
[name_u]Mica[/name_u]
[name_f]Mirabelle[/name_f]/[name_f]Mirabella[/name_f]
[name_f]Primrose[/name_f]
[name_f]Roisin[/name_f] (Irish, pronounced row-sheen)
[name_u]Sage[/name_u]
[name_u]Silver[/name_u]
[name_f]Sonnet[/name_f]
[name_f]Stella[/name_f]
[name_u]Story[/name_u]
[name_f]Vera[/name_f]
[name_f]Violet[/name_f]
[name_f]Willa[/name_f]
[name_f]Willow[/name_f]
[name_u]Wylie[/name_u]

That’s tough! I have a rule that I don’t name pets/characters anything I’d actually use…loosely. :wink:

[name_f]Eliza[/name_f] and:

[name_f]Ivy[/name_f]
[name_u]June[/name_u]
[name_f]Holly[/name_f]
[name_f]Jasmine[/name_f]
[name_f]Jade[/name_f]
[name_f]Amber[/name_f]
[name_u]Juniper[/name_u]
[name_f]Marigold[/name_f]
[name_f]Violet[/name_f]
[name_f]Rose[/name_f]
[name_f]Daisy[/name_f]
[name_f]Coralie[/name_f]
[name_f]Opal[/name_f]
[name_f]Primrose[/name_f]
[name_f]Iris[/name_f]
[name_f]Cricket[/name_f]
[name_f]Maple[/name_f]
[name_u]Ivory[/name_u]
[name_f]Rosemary[/name_f]
[name_f]Olive[/name_f]
[name_f]Laurel[/name_f]
[name_f]Willow[/name_f]
[name_f]Hazel[/name_f]
[name_f]Amaryllis[/name_f]

Sorry for any repeats. Most, if not all, are word/nature names. [name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps!

[name_f]Maud[/name_f] or [name_f]Maudie[/name_f] was what first sprung to mind, followed shortly by [name_f]Ruth[/name_f] or [name_f]Ruthie[/name_f]. If you were aiming for something more substantial I’d go for something like [name_f]Geneva[/name_f], [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f] or [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] to get to [name_f]Evie[/name_f] which I also really love! Also on the more substantial side is dainty choices like [name_f]Aurelia[/name_f] or [name_f]Violetta[/name_f], which is in my opinion way undersold by nameberry as a [name_f]Violet[/name_f] variation when it shoulders much more history or character than the aforementioned. Another huge plus is the irresistible nickname [name_f]Letty[/name_f]. If you were to think in a slightly more quirky style, there’s always magnificent choices like [name_u]Penrose[/name_u] or [name_f]Leatrice[/name_f]. Seen as you like [name_f]Ingrid[/name_f], another beautiful European spiced gem is [name_f]Ilse[/name_f] or Ilsay pronounced as “ill-sae” it could raise a few eyebrows but is undoubtedly charming. As [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] is a gem name, there’s always the slightly more offbeat vintage choice of [name_f]Beryl[/name_f], which is a fantastic choice from my viewpoint yet may not be to everyone’s taste. Then there is the more accessible vintage choices which just aren’t at the forefront of everyone’s minds such as [name_f]Polly[/name_f], [name_f]Sally[/name_f] or [name_f]Matilda[/name_f]. More simple choices are also worth looking at but may not pack the spunk which [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] has in abundance, you could consider [name_f]Jane[/name_f], [name_f]Eve[/name_f], [name_f]Kate[/name_f], [name_f]Sophie[/name_f], [name_f]Anna[/name_f], [name_f]Nova[/name_f], [name_f]Luna[/name_f], [name_f]Layla[/name_f] or thousands of others. Of course though not all names have to scream vintage, have you considered broadening your taste to still match [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] yet maybe head in a slightly different direction than [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] and the like? You could surprise yourself. Have you considered [name_f]Annabel[/name_f], [name_f]Penelope[/name_f], [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f], [name_f]Abigail[/name_f], [name_f]Katie[/name_f], [name_f]Willa[/name_f], [name_f]Maura[/name_f], [name_f]Maria[/name_f], [name_f]Lara[/name_f], [name_f]Kate[/name_f], [name_f]Orli[/name_f], [name_f]Tessa[/name_f], [name_f]Teresa[/name_f], [name_f]Miranda[/name_f], [name_f]Alice[/name_f]? One last one that I have to mention is [name_f]Marigold[/name_f], purely because it’s nicely vintage, has the lovely nickname of [name_f]Goldie[/name_f] and sounds delicious with [name_f]Eliza[/name_f]!

Good luck!

[name_u]June[/name_u] is the first name that comes to mind.

[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f], [name_f]Sophie[/name_f], and [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] seem spunky to me.

Other names you might like: [name_f]Leah[/name_f], [name_f]Daisy[/name_f], [name_f]Annie[/name_f], [name_f]Violet[/name_f], [name_f]Eva[/name_f], [name_f]Lucille[/name_f], [name_f]Amber[/name_f], [name_f]Faye[/name_f], [name_f]Emerald[/name_f], [name_f]Scarlett[/name_f], [name_f]May[/name_f]/[name_f]Mae[/name_f], [name_f]Louise[/name_f]/[name_f]Louisa[/name_f], [name_f]Hazel[/name_f], [name_f]Sienna[/name_f], [name_u]Sierra[/name_u], [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f], [name_f]Maya[/name_f], [name_f]Fleur[/name_f]

[name_f]Sabine[/name_f]
[name_f]Isabelle[/name_f]

There have been a lot of good names suggested! I thought of [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] as well to get to the nn [name_f]Evie[/name_f]. [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] and [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] would be so cute!

What about…

[name_f]Sybil[/name_f]
[name_f]Daphne[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]
[name_f]Marie[/name_f]
[name_f]Coralie[/name_f]
[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]
[name_f]Rose[/name_f]
[name_u]June[/name_u]
[name_f]Grace[/name_f]
[name_u]Vivian[/name_u]/[name_f]Vivienne[/name_f]

[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]
[name_f]Jade[/name_f] {I think this is beautiful with [name_f]Eliza[/name_f], plus it’s a gem like [name_u]Ruby[/name_u]!!}
[name_u]Sage[/name_u]
[name_f]Delilah[/name_f]
[name_f]Louise[/name_f]
[name_f]Diana[/name_f]
[name_f]Pearl[/name_f]
[name_f]Alice[/name_f]
[name_f]Anna[/name_f]
[name_f]Kate[/name_f]

Oh my! So many good names to think about -

I guess I should have said that E’s middle name is [name_u]June[/name_u], which I adore… maybe more than her first name, but it just didn’t work with our last name.

[name_f]Marigold[/name_f] - this one is growing on me! I love the quirkiness of the nature name. [name_f]Mari[/name_f] is a cute nn too!
[name_f]Sally[/name_f] - I wish had a longer version besides [name_f]Sarah[/name_f]
[name_f]Freya[/name_f] - I go back and forth.
[name_f]Rosemary[/name_f] - This is a huge contender because it has family connections, but doesn’t have that fresh feel to me

[name_f]Inga[/name_f] maybe? I’m stuck on [name_f]Ingrid[/name_f]. I like the Scandinavian feel - without being too unfamiliar - and the vowel beginning. [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] was almost [name_f]Isla[/name_f], except my husband couldn’t pronounce it correctly with that spelling (I know, sigh). [name_f]Nora[/name_f] was a contender until 3 of my friends/family had baby Noras in the same year.

I have this other side of me that really likes more modern names too - I do like [name_u]Everly[/name_u], [name_f]Reverie[/name_f], [name_u]Rory[/name_u]… but I don’t know if that’s the way to go for (theoretical) #2