Ruby or Willa?

We’re expecting our second (and I’m pretty sure last) baby, first daughter in June. We’re torn between [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] and Willa. I’ve wanted to name my daughter [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] since I was in high school, but now wonder if it sounds a little too sultry and va-va-voom. It’s adorable on a little girl but I wouldn’t want to typecast her as a woman. I also love [name_f]Willa[/name_f] and like that it’s less popular (in our area, the PNW, at least). Husband prefers [name_f]Willa[/name_f] but is open to both.

Middle name would be [name_u]Everly[/name_u] or [name_f]Willa[/name_f] if we go with [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] or vice versa. Other middle name options could be [name_f]Georgette[/name_f] (honor name), [name_f]Irene[/name_f], [name_u]Noel[/name_u] or Gwen. Our last name rhymes with “Madly”. Big brother is Lincoln.

What do you think?! What do the names “Ruby” and “Willa”’ make you think of? What kind of woman do you picture?

3 Likes

I think both names are absolutely gorgeous. I think I personally prefer [name_f]Willa[/name_f] just a little more, but I think [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] is so gorgeous, and I think it actually ages really well. I can totally imagine a [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] of any age, and I would be thrilled to meet a Ruby!
Both [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] [name_f]Willa[/name_f] and [name_f]Willa[/name_f] [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] are just so sweet and perfect. :orange_heart:

1 Like

I personally like [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] for you! I think it goes well with [name_u]Lincoln[/name_u], and ages nicely. Also [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] [name_f]Willa[/name_f] (or [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] Evelyn/Everett instead of Everly) is adorable :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I personally prefer Willa!! But I think if you love/loved [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] for a long time you should go for it! I don’t think it sounds too sultry

1 Like

i absolutely adore willa! it’s so gorgeous and a little more unexpected than ruby!

i actually think [name_f]Willa[/name_f] [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] sounds lovely as a combo :relaxed:

Personally I’ve never liked [name_u]Ruby[/name_u], but I wonder if that’s because as a child the only association I had was of [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] Wax. So it seemed like a show girl name and is just less my style, it didn’t seem classy or elegant but garish and loud if that makes any sense.

[name_f]Willa[/name_f] is the kind of name that I feel is going to be very time stamped in that it’s suddenly become popular and I think it will rise in popularity and then fall again. [name_f]Willa[/name_f] is ok but I prefer [name_u]Willow[/name_u] and other ‘illa’ names like [name_f]Pernilla[/name_f] and Camilla.

I think if you’ve always loved [name_u]Ruby[/name_u], you should go with that. You’re unlikely to change your mind if it’s a longtime love. [name_f]Willa[/name_f] feels more of a moment thing.

Both are beautiful names but I slightly prefer Ruby! Bubbly, sweet and versatile. It’s my cousin’s name and she weara it well. [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] [name_f]Willa[/name_f] would be lovely

I don’t find [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] sultry at all. [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] [name_f]Willa[/name_f] is an adorable (and classy) combo!

I personally really like [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] and its brightness, not automatically sultry at all! It would be my pick. [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] [name_f]Willa[/name_f] or [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] [name_f]Irene[/name_f] would be gorgeous!

I love both names but I prefer Willa. It feels a little more unexpected and [name_f]Willa[/name_f] [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] makes a gorgeous combination!

I don’t see [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] as sultry at all, by the way. I know a couple of Rubys and to me it’s a name that ages well.

[name_f]Willa[/name_f] is my favourite generally, and I prefer it with your surname too (not a fan of repeating ending sounds). For a middle I like [name_f]Willa[/name_f] [name_f]Georgette[/name_f], [name_f]Willa[/name_f] [name_f]Gwen[/name_f] or [name_f]Willa[/name_f] Ruby.

I don’t have any particular associations with either name. I think they’re both very versatile names.

Thanks for the feedback! I’m glad most of you don’t think of [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] as sultry and can see both those names aging well. It’s also my husband’s grandma’s name, so that’s in its favor (but she hated her name, so that’s a strike) :slight_smile:

1 Like

[name_u]Ruby[/name_u]
100000%

I love [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] and don’t find it too sultry at all, but I think [name_f]Willa[/name_f] sounds better with what I imagine your surname to be. [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] “Madly” sounds kind of sing-songy to me. I’d really like [name_f]Willa[/name_f] [name_f]Gwen[/name_f] “Madly” or [name_f]Willa[/name_f] [name_f]Irene[/name_f] or [name_f]Willa[/name_f] Georgette!

1 Like

I love both names honestly! As a Ruby myself, I don’t think it’s too sultry. In fact, I think it’s sweet, spunky, sparkly, & very versatile. It’s more popular now than when I was growing up, but I have still yet to meet any other Rubys.

My choice may be a bit biased, but I don’t think you can go wrong here! You have many pros with either name you decide on. :slight_smile:

My favorites:
Ruby Willa
Willa Ruby
Willa Everly
Ruby Irene

1 Like

Yay! I think we are leaning towards [name_f]Willa[/name_f] Everly. [name_u]Everly[/name_u] is my husband’s choice since [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] and [name_f]Willa[/name_f] were both my picks and I picked our son’s middle name, but I like it fine. It’s funny, I HAVE always wanted a [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] but for some reason, this baby seems like [name_f]Willa[/name_f] to me. Maybe it’s all the beautiful willow trees I’ve been seeing with their new spring green leaves…

2 Likes

I think [name_f]Willa[/name_f] [name_u]Everly[/name_u] is beautiful! Plus [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] Madly is a little bit harder to say than [name_f]Willa[/name_f] Madly. I don’t want to discourage you though if you really love [name_u]Ruby[/name_u], and being from the pnw as well I have known several little Ruby’s and they have had no problems with their names however my impression of the name is a little more like what you described, it just seems to work better on a grown woman for me, I would put it in the same category as [name_f]Roxanne[/name_f]

[name_u]Ruby[/name_u] for sure. [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] is such an elegant, put together name and I love it with my whole heart. [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] fits all ages and I would’ve loved to have a friend named Ruby! An adorable name for a little girl and strong name for a young adult. Plus there’s the pet names [name_m]Rube[/name_m], Rubes, and my personal favorite, Red. [name_f]Willa[/name_f] doesn’t sound as posh and darling as [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] and [name_f]Willa[/name_f] isn’t really a name that you think “wow!” In my opinion, female names that are just male names with an a at the end aren’t very appealing (ex: alberta, carla, roberta, etc.) Also there aren’t as many good pet names for Willa. [name_m]Wills[/name_m], [name_m]Willy[/name_m], and [name_m]Will[/name_m] just aren’t as cute at Ruby. I think [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] [name_u]June[/name_u] is so cute not only does it sound nice but looks nice as well. It wasn’t one of your choices so let me tell you about [name_u]Everly[/name_u] and Willa. [name_u]Everly[/name_u] is becoming such a basic name and while I do love it, it’s popularity sadly makes me despise it. However! If your last name starts with D, then [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] [name_u]Everly[/name_u] D is great because then the pet name [name_u]Red[/name_u] will be her initials as well! For [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] [name_f]Willa[/name_f], I’ve already expressed my feeling on [name_f]Willa[/name_f], but I do like [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] [name_u]Willow[/name_u] if that’s a possibility? Let me know what you think!

Sadly, my husband vetoed [name_u]June[/name_u] and [name_u]Willow[/name_u], which are both names I love. I do agree that [name_u]Everly[/name_u] is becoming too popular with all the silly variations like [name_f]Everlee[/name_f], [name_f]Everleigh[/name_f] etc but I don’t mind so much about the middle name being popular; also husband and I really love the [name_u]Everly[/name_u] brothers music and MIL is [name_u]Beverly[/name_u], so it’s sort of an honor name.

2 Likes

Ruby. If it was against [name_u]Willow[/name_u], it’s be a harder decisions for me personally.