Rue

I’ve been thinking about this name a lot lately, especially since I saw the Hunger Games. What do you think of it? I love the sound of it, but can’t quite get past the ‘regret’ association. [name]Will[/name] people be able to get past that? Would it be any better spelled differently? I’ve seen [name]Roux[/name] as an alternative.

I think of the French word for street, so [name]Rue[/name] is pretty cool to me. ‘Rueful’ or regret is my next thought. As far as the Hunger Games go, she was one of the few characters I actually liked in the Hunger Games (I liked [name]Rue[/name], Thresh, [name]Cato[/name], Finnick, [name]Joanna[/name] and I kinda liked [name]Gale[/name]. But that was it.)

I have always liked it. I think it is very usable.

I dont think it’s usable in real life because it’s basically just a word. Wouldnt you find it weird to go to France and meet a baby named Street? I wouldnt want to travel somewhere and hear my name used in sentences like “what street do we turn on?” or “dont throw your trash in the street”.

Maybe a name ending in a “roo” sound would work better?

A “roux” is a flour and butter mixture used as a base for cream sauces, so I wouldn’t go with that. Personally, I couldn’t get past the “regret” association of the name [name]Rue[/name], so I wouldn’t give it to my child, but because of The Hunger Games I think it might more widely be accepted as a name, and I don’t think people will immediately think “regret” when they see/hear it. I certainly didn’t, when I read THG.

Is it the sound you like? Because [name]Rue[/name] (or Roo!) could certainly be a nickname for a name with a “roo” sound in it (i.e. [name]Ruby[/name]).

[name]Rue[/name] is definitely usable, and isn’t as tied to its character in the way that [name]Katniss[/name] and Peeta are. It does sound a little incomplete to me so I’d probably prefer it as a nickname for [name]Ruby[/name], but its still really usable and pretty.

My friends name is [name]Rue[/name] [name]Espen[/name] [name]Daniels[/name]. i love the name!

Meanings are important to me, so I would never use [name]Rue[/name] as a name, though I agree it has a pretty sound.

I can’t believe I didn’t think of using it as a NN for [name]Ruby[/name]! And I’ve been really crushing on [name]Ruby[/name] lately…

Thanks for that suggestion :slight_smile:

I really like [name]Rue[/name]! It both looks and sounds so spunky and sweet. A friend of a friend named her daughter [name]Ariana[/name] [name]Rue[/name] a few years ago–I always thought that was so pretty.

I have considered [name]Rue[/name] to honor several Ruths in my family tree, but the meanings (both the “rue the day” thing and the French meaning of the word “rue”–“street”) put me off a little. I think [name]Ruby[/name] nn Roo is just adorable, though. :slight_smile: I loved the idea of using [name]Emmeline[/name] [name]Ruby[/name] nn [name]Emmy[/name] Roo. :slight_smile:

Good luck!

I think of [name]Rue[/name] McClanahan aka [name]Blanche[/name] from [name]Golden[/name] Girls.
I love her real name and her character’s name, sounds so genteel & Southern

I would regret giving my child a name with such a regrettable meaning. (sorry couldn’t help myself ;))

But seriously, even if I like a name, but it has a bad meaning I couldn’t use it. Meanings are too important to me.

I like is as middlename.:slight_smile: Spunky and cool, yet sweet!

[name]One[/name] of my favorites is [name]Rose[/name] with the playful nickname Roo. [name]Just[/name] as a family nickname. But I really like [name]Ruby[/name] with nn [name]Rue[/name] too.

Call me crazy, but I like it.

I totally get the discussion about the negative meaning/the name itself. I don’t know if I would choose it. However, rue has a more poetic feeling to me than regret. I don’t know. It’s kind of like melancholy versus depressed. [name]One[/name] has a different feeling to me. Not that I would name my child Melancholy; it was just an analogy :slight_smile: I don’t know if that makes sense.

I wouldn’t have thought of ‘regret’, the French word for street or a cream sauce. I think it’s a perfectly acceptable name as it is. I quite like, it’s short and to the point- not like all of the four syllable swanky girls’s names that everyone seems so caught up on at the moment!

I think it is cute, but when it is said, I always picture “Roo”. Like from [name]Winnie[/name] the Poo.