Russia

My husband really wants to name our daughtor ‘[name]Russia[/name]’. I think it is pretty, but I have concerns with it… We are not Russian, we’ve never been there either…

I’ve been trying to find a name that I like that he can still call her ‘[name]Russia[/name]’ as a [name]Nick[/name] Name… but I can’t find any.

The closest thing I can find is Ruchelle & [name]Rochelle[/name]… but I don’t like either of those.

I don’t like names that include “rose” either. Anyone have an idea of what I could do?

On Nameberry’s search, you can search for several letters that begin or end a word – rus, for instance. Here’s what I came up with. Certainly [name]Russ[/name], [name]Rusk[/name], or [name]Rustin[/name] could work for a girl.

[name]Rush[/name] (M)
[name]Rushford[/name] (M)
[name]Rushi[/name] (M)
[name]Rusk[/name] (M)
[name]Ruskin[/name] (M)
[name]Russ[/name] (M)
[name]Russel[/name] (M)
[name]Russell[/name] (M)
[name]Russelle[/name] (M)
[name]Russet[/name] (F)
[name]Russia[/name] (F)
[name]Ruste[/name] (M)
[name]Rusten[/name] (M)
[name]Rustie[/name] (M)
[name]Rustin[/name] (M)
[name]Ruston[/name] (M)
[name]Rusty[/name] (M)
[name]Rustyn[/name] (M)

I think [name]Roisin[/name] has some similarity to [name]Russia[/name], but that’s as far as my knowledge goes ^^
[name]Russet[/name] isn’t bad either, it’s the other girls’ name on [name]Pam[/name]'s list that starts with Rus (apart from [name]Russia[/name])

I can’t think of any more names that are as similar to [name]Russia[/name] that hasn’t already been suggested.
Here are some names that have the same ending sound that you may or may not like.

[name]Cassia[/name]
[name]Anastasia[/name] nn [name]Stasia[/name]
[name]Natasha[/name]/[name]Natasia[/name]
[name]Asia[/name] - has been used more often as a first name than [name]Russia[/name] has but it’s still pretty uncommon.
[name]Leticia[/name]
[name]Saoirse[/name] -sare-sha

I made a guess for a first name that starts with Maru to get to [name]Maruska[/name]. [name]Maruska[/name] is an entry that has no meaning or origin. It sounds Russian, and contains the string “rus”.

I’m sure there are other names like it that may appeal to you for the nickname [name]Russia[/name], but I don’t know how to access them other than continue to guess, as we’re currently not able to search for strings of letters or sounds within a name, or for example, begins with R and contains ‘us’. There are several names that start with R and end with ‘us’ but they are boy’s names and probably not the fanciest way to get “[name]Russia[/name]” for a nickname. I looked also for names ending with ‘rusa’ but there aren’t any in the database.

Why does your DH want to use the name [name]Russia[/name], is it the look, sound or something else that appeals to him? If we could pinpoint the reason maybe we could suggest something else.

I love [name]Russia[/name] and the people there and I will be returning there in 2010. I think the Russians would find it peculiar to find a person named [name]Russia[/name], and indeed most other people too.

I can understand [name]Ireland[/name], [name]London[/name], [name]Milan[/name], [name]Paris[/name], [name]Sydney[/name], [name]India[/name], [name]Brittany[/name] but I can’t get behind calling someone [name]America[/name] or [name]Russia[/name].

One of the most favoured names in [name]Russia[/name] is [name]Alexandra[/name] followed by [name]Anastasia[/name] each of these would be beautiful choices.

[name]Rush[/name] would make a cute nn or Sia (SEE-ah) and I see no real reason for you not to name your child after the country. I have friends called [name]India[/name], their parents have never been there either and I have an older cousin called [name]Chynna[/name], pronounced as [name]China[/name] though. And there are some Americas and Chads and other countries I’m sure, so why not [name]Russia[/name]? I say if you both like it, go for it!

Good [name]Luck[/name]:slight_smile:

[name]Just[/name] curious, why? [name]How[/name] is [name]Ireland[/name] or [name]India[/name] different to [name]America[/name] or [name]Russia[/name]? [name]America[/name] started off as someone’s name actually, before it was a continent and country.

[name]How[/name] about [name]Rochelle[/name] or Ruchira (rush-sheer-a).
[name]Kassia[/name] is cute too very similar sounding:)

Here are a few ideas to get nn [name]Russia[/name] or [name]Rush[/name]

[name]Rochelle[/name], [name]Rochella[/name], [name]Rachelle[/name]
[name]Rashida[/name]
Rusilla (from [name]Drusilla[/name])
[name]Jerusha[/name]***

But, I’m also curious, why [name]Russia[/name]?

[name]EDIT[/name]: ONe more suggestion … [name]How[/name] about Prussia as a name? Seems a little less political than [name]Russia[/name] to me.

For [name]Russia[/name], I think [name]Jerusha[/name] might be your best bet. There are other spellings, too, if that’s not your favorite one. I don’t see why you couldn’t spell it Jerussia, if you really wanted to.

I dont think you have to have been to a place to have a child named that. Certainly that is not the case with names [name]Georgia[/name], [name]Carolina[/name], [name]Virginia[/name], ect so i dont think that would really matter to be honest. I think [name]Russia[/name] is very cute. nn [name]Russ[/name] is really cute and if you wanted somethign more feminine then Sia would be adorable too:) I think [name]Russia[/name] is very adorable and not heard of but it is not totally crazy out there so i think its a nice balance. [name]Do[/name] you have a mn?