Rutherford?

Since I’m weeks away from delivering a baby girl, this is all purely hypothetical. But what do you think of [name_m]Rutherford[/name_m]? It is a bit stuffy/stodgy but that kind of appeals to me, plus I think the nn options like [name_u]Red[/name_u], [name_m]Ford[/name_m] & [name_u]Rue[/name_u] really makes this name for me.

Would it be too heavy for a modern day boy?

1 Like

[name_m]Rutherford[/name_m] is not my style but I can imagine it working well in a sibset with other names like [name_m]Albert[/name_m], [name_m]Bernard[/name_m] and [name_m]Chester[/name_m]. I don’t think it’s too heavy for a modern-day boy, although it’ll sound heavy if you place it next to ‘modern’ names like [name_u]Huxley[/name_u] and [name_m]Fletcher[/name_m]. I love the nickname options though.

I am the biggest fan of surnamey names and I love [name_m]Rutherford[/name_m]! I kind can see the nickname [name_f]Ruth[/name_f] , [name_m]Heath[/name_m], [name_m]Ford[/name_m] , Hef , [name_u]Rudy[/name_u] , [name_u]Red[/name_u] , [name_u]Rue[/name_u] , [name_f]Rut[/name_f]

1 Like

I prefer the name [name_m]Beresford[/name_m].

I think it’s way too much and doesn’t sound great. I imagine people would be looking for ways not to say the whole thing. For me it’d be a waste to give someone a name that will hardly get used. [name_u]Red[/name_u], [name_m]Ford[/name_m] and [name_u]Rue[/name_u] :heart_eyes: are lovely though.

I find it a little hard to say but it is really rugged and cool

If I’m being completely honest it does feel a little bit stuffy and heavy to me, but I think that could change if I heard it on a little boy! I love your nn ideas!

[name_m]Rutherford[/name_m] is a very elegant, serious sounding name, perfect for a little gentleman. I think, as @Greyblue mentioned, that it could be a little tricky to say for some people, and maybe little kids in preschool when he’s older might run into trouble saying it, too! But the nicknames you mentioned come in handy then. I would add [name_u]Rudy[/name_u] to the list of potential nicknems. I think it would need a softer-sounding nickname to balance it out:

[name_m]Rutherford[/name_m] [name_u]Indiana[/name_u]
[name_m]Rutherford[/name_m] [name_m]Joshua[/name_m]
[name_m]Rutherford[/name_m] [name_m]Samuel[/name_m]
[name_m]Rutherford[/name_m] [name_u]Asa[/name_u]
[name_m]Rutherford[/name_m] [name_u]Ellis[/name_u]
[name_m]Rutherford[/name_m] [name_u]Indigo[/name_u]
[name_m]Rutherford[/name_m] [name_u]Kieran[/name_u]
[name_m]Rutherford[/name_m] [name_u]Florian[/name_u]
[name_m]Rutherford[/name_m] [name_u]Gabriel[/name_u]
[name_m]Rutherford[/name_m] [name_u]Callum[/name_u]
[name_m]Rutherford[/name_m] [name_u]Quincy[/name_u]
etc.

I know that [name_u]Layne[/name_u] from the band [name_f]Alice[/name_f] in Chains had the middle name [name_m]Rutherford[/name_m] and he hated it with passion to the point of legally changing it to [name_m]Thomas[/name_m] or [name_u]Robert[/name_u] (?). I think it is even written in the nameberry page. Of course, take it for what you will, but I think it’s kinid of important to mention. Nevertheless, I think name diversity now is much bigger than it was in the 90s and it would not be as much of a problem, reason for embarassment or teasing now.

It’s nice as a middle! [name_f]Ruth[/name_f] is great on a girl :slight_smile:

Its nice! although it does remind me of Rutherford b Hayes! :grimacing:

Oh [name_u]Rudy[/name_u] would be an awesome nickname!

1 Like

It’s interesting. I think you’ve got to really like it to use it. I think it could work.
[name_m]Ford[/name_m] is good nickname so is Ruff and Rudder and [name_u]Rudy[/name_u] so you’ve got options for sure in that department.

I love it and think [name_m]Ford[/name_m] is a wonderful nn.

I went to a [name_m]Rutherford[/name_m] [name_u]Hayes[/name_u] high school, so I only think of the president. His election basically ended Reconstruction, so not a namesake I’d be interested in personally.

It reminds me of rutherford scattering.

I like in a town called R*****ford, so to me it’s a place name. And one that doesn’t work like [name_u]Brooklyn[/name_u] or [name_u]Austin[/name_u].

I know it has a long history as a first name and I’m clearly biased. But I would say no.

It reminds me of [name_m]Rutherford[/name_m] [name_u]Hayes[/name_u]

YESSSSSSS! Please! [name_m]Ford[/name_m] as a nn.