Rylan

Lately I’ve been crushing on the name [name_u]Rylan[/name_u]. I’m not a fan of [name_u]Ryan[/name_u] and although I like the style of [name_m]Ryland[/name_m], I think [name_u]Rylan[/name_u] is a bit easier to say. To me, it sounds like a southern surname. I like the slight twang you can add to it.

[name_f]My[/name_f] fear is that [name_u]Rylan[/name_u] sounds trendy and made up, even though it’s an [name_f]English[/name_f]/Irish name meaning “island meadow.” I don’t generally like those types of names, but maybe this name is an exception to my usual distaste.

Here’s my question: [name_m]Can[/name_m] sibling names change the vibe of a name? For example, brothers named [name_u]Jayden[/name_u] and [name_u]Rylan[/name_u] vs. [name_m]Shepherd[/name_m] and [name_u]Rylan[/name_u]. In my head, paired with [name_u]Jayden[/name_u], [name_u]Rylan[/name_u] sounds trendy. Paired with [name_m]Shepherd[/name_m], it seems like more of a surname name. Or [name_m]Davis[/name_m] and [name_u]Rylan[/name_u]? Although I love both names, together it seems slightly odd, as both names could be seen as variations or updates to the more common [name_m]David[/name_m] and [name_u]Ryan[/name_u]. Thoughts on this? Is it a real phenomenon? [name_m]Can[/name_m] y’all think of other examples of a name changing based on a sibling?

I think [name_u]Rylan[/name_u] is a great name! I don’t think it sounds made up at all, and even if some do, the fact is that it’s not. It’s one of those few boys names that is both soft and strong! I think it sounds lovely no matter what you pair it with! (Though [name_u]Rylan[/name_u] and [name_m]Shepherd[/name_m] would make an awesome sibset!)

2 Likes

I am also not a fan of [name_u]Ryan[/name_u] or [name_u]Riley[/name_u], but [name_u]Rylan[/name_u] works for me. Like MG1257 said, it sounds both soft and strong. I think it’s a great unisex name.

2 Likes

Yes, most definitely! I agree that with a trendy, “made up” name, [name_u]Rylan[/name_u] would sound similar (even though it’s not), but paired with something like a surname name, [name_u]Rylan[/name_u] sounds more stately and timeless. It’s a handsome name!

It’s funny, I was thinking about this exact thing recently. I think it especially works for names that ride the line between two styles—say, vintage and bohemian—or that are trendy (or sound similar to trendy names, as in [name_u]Rylan[/name_u]'s case). Trendy names often sound fine with other trendy names, but they might sound totally different with names that actually match them in style, origin, or tone. Some examples I can think of:

[name_f]Iris[/name_f] and [name_f]Edith[/name_f]
vs.
[name_f]Iris[/name_f] and [name_f]Juno[/name_f]

[name_u]Aidan[/name_u] and [name_m]Ethan[/name_m]
vs.
[name_u]Aidan[/name_u] and [name_m]Ciaran[/name_m]

[name_m]Sebastian[/name_m] and [name_m]Oliver[/name_m]
vs.
[name_m]Sebastian[/name_m] and [name_m]Raphael[/name_m]

1 Like

I think depending on the middle it can sound more or less trendy. I actually prefer it for a girl though. I think sibling names can be as different themed as you want! While I love themed siblings, like all vintage names, all family names, all word name etc, it’s more important that you love each individual name. I plan to name my first girl [name_f]Esther[/name_f] and my first boy [name_m]Ben[/name_m]-[name_u]Ami[/name_u]. [name_f]Esther[/name_f] is ranked 142 while I’m not even sure if there’s a [name_m]Ben[/name_m]-[name_u]Ami[/name_u] in the US. Still both names share Jewish importance.

Go with the names you love :grinning:

1 Like

I think [name_u]Rylan[/name_u] and [name_m]Davis[/name_m] best gives that surnamey feel

1 Like

I don’t think it sounds made-up, but it does sound really trendy, no matter what it’s paired with, if that’s something that bothers you. [name_m]Ryland[/name_m] actually sounds more traditional to me, not sure why?
I don’t think [name_m]Davis[/name_m] and [name_m]Shepherd[/name_m] being surnames too makes it a weird sibset. I think [name_u]Rylan[/name_u] works well with both of them!

1 Like

@may.rose [name_m]Ah[/name_m] you’ve made me feel so much better about it!

@ceryle Yes! I get different vibes for those names depending on the sibset.

1 Like