Sable

Thoughts?

For girls or boys? Truthfully neither. It sounds like stable or some kind of sap to me. Where did you find it?

Like a mink!

There are certain names that evoke luxury, which somehow turn out to sound cheap. It makes it sound like you are trying to establish an external expression of “fine things” which aren’t generally received in kind - like [name]Tiffany[/name]. People with an overt expression of luxury in their name rarely get as much respect in the real world as they might expect. It’s a sociological reality for the most part.

Names that are words or brands of the excessively wealthy just sound like the opposite. [name]Sable[/name] is a kind of weasel most primarily associated with fur coats rather than as a live animal in our global ecosystem. Most people will think of the fur, or perhaps its dark color. People with real status rarely choose these names (save for [name]Paris[/name] [name]Hilton[/name] or [name]Tiffany[/name] or [name]Barron[/name] Trump), while people who aspire for their children to have more than they do often choose them. Names that say or imply “wealth” is a signal to people that’s what matters to you, and not a decent life and loving what you do.

Spot on, [name]Karen[/name] – a luxurious sable coat status symbol immediately comes to mind.

Perhaps Mnemosyne found this name in a recent Nameberry Blog on soap opera names?

https://nameberry.com/blog/2009/10/19/dynasty-dallas

It can only be due to the soap opera Dynasty that the name [name]Sable[/name] ever made it at all to the Social Security Administration’s annual Top 1,000 list of popular baby names – and that was only in the year 1986. [name]Even[/name] then, [name]Sable[/name] placed low on the list.

I like [name]Sable[/name] as an adult’s alias (professional or otherwise), but I can see it having undesirable connotations for use as a baby’s name. One person who made the name popular for adult use is professional female wrestler and Playboy model, [name]Rena[/name] Mero Lesnar, who took [name]Sable[/name] as her stage name.

– [name]Nephele[/name]

I just, after I responded, realized I missed yesterday’s and today’s blogs, so maybe that is where it came from. Some of those names did not strike a chord with the public at large because they are the sort of recognizably cheesy names to avoid. When naming a baby, you have to be careful about naming off of established characters. They are how the writer says they should be, and not necessarily close to reality, or how a baby [name]Sable[/name] of humble background (which may be a wrong assumption of the OP) would be able to “transcend” the name and be fabulous, or even sufficient.

I never watched those shows, so I don’t know what the character is like. I can guess she is really rich and maybe man-hungry and ruthless (just a wild guess), and a bit more dramatic than we ordinary folks tolerate from fellow citizens of earth. That can be said of other characters on those shows as well as more down-to-earth shows. The characters are who the writer designs them to be and not a realistic portrayal of what one can achieve by having a name. Some names cause more trouble than they appear, and the writer just washes that part away, showing us a self-assured confident person who was never teased for having a name a little too appropriate for sleazier professions.

Everyone just calls her [name]Sable[/name] like her name is [name]Linda[/name] or [name]Jane[/name] or [name]Samantha[/name], and really this is one reason old, supposedly ugly, weirdo names one would never consider become so approachable and normal. You also have to figure objectively if this is a name fit for a real person, which is how the example [name]Alexis[/name] works and [name]Sable[/name] doesn’t, according to statistics of the popularity of both names. Most people, despite [name]Joan[/name] [name]Collins[/name]’ portrayal, accept [name]Alexis[/name] has potential in this world, while [name]Sable[/name] sounds like a caricature of some rich b* on a primetime soap.

I, too, immediately thought of a sable mink coat, and I second [name]Karen[/name]'s post. :slight_smile:

Take care!

It might make a cool mn.