Saddest Book

What’s the saddest book you’ve ever read? I’m looking to add to my tbr.

For me, I cried the most during A [name_m]Little[/name_m] Life by [name_f]Hanya[/name_f] Yanagihara. Weirdly enough, I wouldn’t recommend this book. It was so emotionally draining and turns out relatively problematic if you look into it.

Anyways, hit me with them!!

I’ve read so many sad books!

[name_m]Khaled[/name_m] Hosseini novels they are all so sad especially The Kite Runner

Goodnight [name_f]Beautiful[/name_f] [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f] Koomson

Noughts & Crosses [name_f]Malorie[/name_f] Blackman

tattooist of auschwitz [name_f]Heather[/name_f] [name_m]Morris[/name_m]

How to kill a mockingbird [name_u]Harper[/name_u] [name_u]Lee[/name_u]

[name_u]An[/name_u] American Marriage Tayari [name_m]Jones[/name_m]

There are probably hundreds more (I’m a big reader especially of sad books) but these are definitely novels that jump into my head

3 Likes

Thanks so much [name_f]Tori[/name_f]!

I read the Kite Runner also. Great choice.

Noughts & Crosses is on my list, but I can never find it in the store?

TKAM is where my cat Scout’s name comes from.

The others I will definitely add!

These aren’t the saddest books out there, but I cried reading The Book Thief and [name_f]Girl[/name_f] in the [name_u]Blue[/name_u] Coat. Both are set in Nazi-occupied Europe during WWII.

I’ve cried reading lots of books, but those are the only names coming to mind right now.

5 Likes

When I research this topic, The Book Thief always comes up, so I think you’re spot on there!

And yeah WWII novels always get to me.

1 Like

definitely the book thief. i read it this summer for my summer reading and it was a heartbreaker. so much so that i just couldn’t enjoy it. :confused:

1 Like

I don’t know if I can pick a #1 saddest, but here are 5 that come to mind as some pretty sad ones I’ve read (and also happened to quite enjoy):

All The [name_u]Bright[/name_u] Places by [name_f]Jennifer[/name_f] [name_m]Niven[/name_m]
[name_m]Five[/name_m] Feet Apart by [name_f]Rachel[/name_f] Lippencott
Of Mice and Men by [name_u]John[/name_u] Steinbeck
Dear [name_u]Edward[/name_u] by [name_f]Ann[/name_f] Napolitano
[name_f]My[/name_f] Sister’s Keeper by [name_u]Jodi[/name_u] Picoult

I also second the previous suggestions of The Book Thief and The Kite Runner.

2 Likes

I’m the same way, I can’t pick a #1 saddest book!

1 Like

It wasn’t all sad, but the memoir Educated by [name_f]Tara[/name_f] Westover was a very good read, with a lot of shocking and upsetting things that happened to her

1 Like

I love her books!

I can’t really think of sad books but it was interesting to read everyone’s replies and either agree or disagree with them

2 Likes

The last song :musical_note: by [name_m]Nicholas[/name_m] Sparks

1 Like

A song for [name_m]Achilles[/name_m] by [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] [name_u]Miller[/name_u] (I’m re-reading it now)
Norwegian [name_m]Wood[/name_m] by [name_m]Haruki[/name_m] Murakami
Giovanni’s room by [name_u]James[/name_u] [name_u]Baldwin[/name_u]
[name_f]Anna[/name_f] Karenina by [name_m]Lev[/name_m] Tolstoy
The Cider house rules by [name_u]John[/name_u] [name_m]Irving[/name_m]
[name_u]Maurice[/name_u] by E.M. [name_m]Forster[/name_m]

1 Like

Some that come to mind:

The Assistant-Bernard Malamud (seriously felt like not one happy thing happened in this book)
The Kite Runner-Khaled Hosseini
The Hundred Years of [name_m]Lenni[/name_m] and [name_f]Margot[/name_f] ( so so so sad)

1 Like