Sadie has different association outside the States

In Australasia and [name]England[/name] [name]Sadie[/name] is associated with the song “[name]Sadie[/name] the cleaning lady” and sounds like the name of a janitor.

I live in [name]England[/name], and have never heard that song. I don’t think [name]Sadie[/name] is “low class” at all - I think it is sweet and spunky, and heard it on three children at the fee-paying school I used to teach at. I think of [name]Sadie[/name] [name]Frost[/name].

I live in New Zealand and my friends in [name]England[/name] know the 70’s song well. Perhaps are not a child of the 70’s? There are too many [name]Sadie[/name]'s in the States now anyway.

[name]Born[/name] 1980 :slight_smile:

But I’m a great fan of music from all eras, and it clearly isn’t bothering English parents now, many of whom were probably children of the 70s, as it is definitely on the rise (#184 in 2008).

I really like the name, I think it is so pretty, and I love the song from ‘Funny Girl’, but I couldnt use it because of the cleaning lady song. I was born in 1980 and I have heard children singing this song as they are doing chores, so I think in Australia its a no no, which is a huge pity.

In [name]Canada[/name] it is in the top 50 so they obviously haven’t heard of [name]John[/name] Farnham either! [name]Trust[/name] me - it was big.

Jakki is right [name]Johnny[/name] Farnham’s ‘[name]Sadie[/name] the Cleaning Lady’ was huge here, It launched his career and he is one of our iconic performers.

Apart from the song it is the ‘sad’ part that turns me away from it.

Sad and die put together.

I’ve never heard of the song [name]Sadie[/name] the cleaning lady - i’m late 20s and in the UK.

I assoc. [name]Sadie[/name] with [name]Jude[/name] [name]Law[/name]'s ex-wife. Not a particularly positive nor negative connotation. I like the name [name]Sadie[/name] and if it had a cute nn or longer name it’d be on my list xx

[name]Ah[/name] [name]Sadie[/name] , the cleaning lady
Her aching knees not getting any younger
Well her red detergent hands
Had for years not held a man’s
And time would find her heart expired of hunger
Scrub your floors , do your chores , dear old [name]Sadie[/name]
Looks as though you’ll always be a cleaning lady
Can’t afford to get bored , dear old [name]Sadie[/name]
Looks as though you’ll always be a cleaning lady

There are cultural associations with lots of names that don’t necessarily translate in different countries. I don’t think that means that [name]Sadie[/name] (or others) are off-limits. We’ve had comments on Nameberry before about how [name]Jemima[/name] has an entirely different connotation in the US than the UK - I don’t think that means British people should avoid naming their kids [name]Jemima[/name]. The fact that there is a 30 year old Australian song about a cleaning lady named [name]Sadie[/name] probably shouldn’t weigh too much on the minds of Canadian mothers who are considering it for their baby girls, although it is nice to know the connotations of the name in other cultures as well.

I disagree - I think the world is becoming a smaller and smaller place.