Sadie the cleaning lady

In Australasia there is a popular song by the singer [name]John[/name] Farnham called “[name]Sadie[/name] the cleaning lady”. It means the name is unpopular here. [name]Do[/name] you know it in the States?

Never heard of it. I think [name]Sadie[/name] is adorable!

I do no it!

when i was younger, i loved sadie. I loved it more when ‘living dead dolls’ had a ‘[name]Sadie[/name]’ doll! But, later, i met 2 flesh-and-blood Sadies and they were HORRIBLE! okay, a bit over the top- i didnt get on with them.

So those girls and this song have taken about 78% of my love and respect for this name :frowning:

My niece is named [name]Sadie[/name]!! So I have a bias to the name, I love it!!!

Cute name, never heard of the song. [name]Sadie[/name] is my Aunt [name]Sarah[/name]'s nickname and I also knew one other [name]Sadie[/name] who was a sweetheart.

I have not heard of “[name]Sadie[/name] the cleaning lady”. I have heard of “[name]Sadie[/name], [name]Sadie[/name] married lady” from the musical Funny Girl, [name]Barbra[/name] Streisand sings that song, I love her!

[name]Isabel[/name]:wink:

Here are the lyrics

“[name]Ah[/name] [name]Sadie[/name] , the cleaning lady
Her aching knees not getting any younger
Well her red detergent hands
Had for years not held a man’s
And time would find her heart expired of hunger
Scrub your floors , do your chores , dear old [name]Sadie[/name]
Looks as though you’ll always be a cleaning lady
Can’t afford to get bored , dear old [name]Sadie[/name]
Looks as though you’ll always be a cleaning lady”

I just thought that American’s/British might want to know the connotations of the name over here.

I know the song well and it launched the career of the then [name]Johnny[/name] Farnham, now [name]John[/name] Farnham who is one of the megastars of Australian music. [name]Love[/name] [name]John[/name], love the song but can’t see it on a baby yet - give me time as poor old [name]Sadie[/name] the Cleaning Lady soaks up the name in my consciousness.