Sage's Top 20 (boys edition)

Over the past (nearly exactly!) year I’ve been on nameberry, I’ve been slowly accumulating a list of top names for my future kids. Well, that task ends today at a total of 20 unique combos (and Hebrew translations! Does that make this a top 40 :thinking:). Explanations of meaning in the summary, pronunciations at the bottom. There is no particular order after the first 3 names!

[name_u]Elliott[/name_u] [name_m]Stan[/name_m] “[name_u]Elie[/name_u]” - [name_m]Eliyahu[/name_m] [name_u]Shai[/name_u]

Summary

[name_u]Elliott[/name_u] and [name_m]Stan[/name_m] are both honor names, for both of my grandmothers and my grandpa. [name_u]Elliott[/name_u] is also from E.T, which was one of my grandma’s favorite movies that we watched together. [name_m]Eliyahu[/name_m] [name_u]Shai[/name_u] means “[name_f]My[/name_f] God is a gift”. Though I’m not religious, the rest of my family is and this is a nod to my heritage and the faith that gave the rest of my family the strength to keep fighting through oppression and loss.

[name_m]Nathaniel[/name_m] [name_u]Asher[/name_u] “[name_m]Nate[/name_m]” - Netanel [name_u]Asher[/name_u]

Summary

Meaning “[name_f]Happy[/name_f] gift from God”. Any children that I have would be a gift for me and the rest of my family, and my greatest wish for my future son is that he is happy in life.

[name_m]Samuel[/name_m] [name_m]Ronan[/name_m] “[name_u]Sam[/name_u]” - [name_m]Shmuel[/name_m] [name_m]Ronen[/name_m]

Summary

Meaning “God has heard my song”. For me, Jewish prayers are supposed to sound like music. [name_f]My[/name_f] kids would be the fulfillment of my ancestors prayers for a continued Jewish people and my hopes to be a parent.

[name_m]Raphael[/name_m] [name_m]David[/name_m] “[name_m]Rafi[/name_m]” - [name_m]Rafael[/name_m] [name_m]David[/name_m]

Summary

Meaning “[name_f]Beloved[/name_f] healer”. [name_f]My[/name_f] family has had some pretty severe medical emergencies over the years, notably my dad getting and beating cancer. This name is a reference to the doctors that have allowed me to keep making memories with him and other relatives. His name also starts with an R, which is how I found the name [name_m]Raphael[/name_m] in the first place.

[name_u]Jonah[/name_u] [name_m]Felix[/name_m] - [name_m]Yonah[/name_m] Ofek

Summary

Literally meaning “[name_u]Dove[/name_u] is on the horizon”. [name_u]Dove[/name_u]’s are a symbol of peace, so this name really means “[name_u]Peace[/name_u] is on the horizon”. I hope that my kids will get to grow up in a country without violence, inequality, and political unrest. Whether that is in the US or somewhere else is still up for debate.

[name_u]Levi[/name_u] [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u] - [name_u]Levi[/name_u] [name_m]Binyamin[/name_m]

Summary

[name_u]Levi[/name_u] is for a book character, [name_m]Lev[/name_m] [name_u]Calder[/name_u] from Unwind. He is a young boy questioning his faith and everything he’s been told his entire life. Though he makes poor choices, in the end he turns his life around and becomes a force for good. I want my future children to learn from his story and know that they can always change their future for the good. [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u] is a family name that I think sounds really nice with [name_u]Levi[/name_u]. Together meaning “Joined to the son of the right-hand man”.

[name_m]Silas[/name_m] [name_m]Eliezer[/name_m] - [name_m]Saul[/name_m] [name_m]Eliezer[/name_m]

Summary

Meaning “prayed for my God’s help”. This is another reference to my family’s faith and their journey. [name_m]Eliezer[/name_m] is also the full name of [name_u]Elie[/name_u] Weisel, who’s story of survival has inspired me.

[name_m]Damian[/name_m] [name_m]Saul[/name_m] - [name_m]Dov[/name_m] [name_m]Shlomo[/name_m]

Summary

Meaning “[name_m]Bear[/name_m] of peace”. I’m going to be honest, [name_m]Damian[/name_m] is for [name_m]Damian[/name_m] [name_m]Wayne[/name_m] ala Batman and [name_u]Robin[/name_u]. What, he’s my favorite! I struggled to come up with a combo that I love for this one, but [name_m]Saul[/name_m] is sweet and balances out the edgy strength of [name_m]Damian[/name_m]. [name_m]Dov[/name_m] [name_m]Shlomo[/name_m] refers to the strength of peace. I want my sons to be strong enough to protect themselves but first try to be peaceful advocates for themselves and others.

[name_m]Jack[/name_m] [name_m]Matan[/name_m] - [name_m]Yaakov[/name_m] [name_m]Matan[/name_m].

Summary

Meaning “Supplanter’s gift”. [name_m]Jack[/name_m] is a name that can work for any boy, while [name_m]Matan[/name_m] is a more direct nod to his Jewish heritage. The meaning refers to how my generation will eventually supplant my parents - my kid is my gift to my parent’s generation even as I go off and start to do my own things.

[name_u]Callum[/name_u] [name_m]Xavier[/name_m] “[name_u]Cal[/name_u]” - [name_m]Yonah[/name_m] [name_m]Chaim[/name_m]

Summary

Meaning “[name_u]Dove[/name_u] in life”. [name_u]Callum[/name_u] is for [name_u]Callum[/name_u] [name_m]Hunt[/name_m], another character that I love and identify with, and [name_m]Xavier[/name_m] is for Professor X. The meaning, similar to [name_m]Dov[/name_m] [name_m]Shlomo[/name_m], refers to how I want my sons to be pacifists and advocate peacefully for themselves and others.

[name_u]Oliver[/name_u] [name_u]Reid[/name_u] - [name_m]Ilan[/name_m] [name_m]Adam[/name_m]

Summary

Meaning “[name_u]Red[/name_u] tree”. I like maple trees :joy: [name_u]Oliver[/name_u] also comes from another symbol of peace, the olive tree/branch.

[name_m]Magnus[/name_m] [name_u]Jude[/name_u] - Amichai [name_m]Yehuda[/name_m]

Summary

[name_m]Ah[/name_m], Amichai. Originally paired with [name_m]Nicholas[/name_m], switched around due to a terrible association me and my family share. Meaning “[name_f]Praise[/name_f], my people are alive”, this name is another reference to the hardships my family has overcome and how my children represent a continued Jewish people and a new hope for the future. [name_m]Yehuda[/name_m] Amichai is also an Israeli Jewish poet who I love.

[name_m]Daniel[/name_m] [name_m]Phineas[/name_m] - Daniyyel [name_m]Pinchas[/name_m]

Summary

Meaning “God is my judge from the serpent’s mouth”. Serpents represent ego and evilness in Jewish tradition. [name_f]My[/name_f] hope is that before my kids mess up and choose to hurt another person, they think of what their family would think and decide against it. [name_m]Daniel[/name_m] is also super similar to my sister’s name, and while I don’t want to ever have to honor her through a name (Ashkenazic Jews name after dead relatives, so God forbid) I can acknowledge that my parent’s did a great job with it.

[name_m]William[/name_m] [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] “[name_m]Will[/name_m]” - [name_m]Sender[/name_m] [name_m]Ehud[/name_m]

Summary

Meaning “One defender”. I hope that my sons are brave enough to stand up for what is right even if they are standing alone.

[name_m]Jacob[/name_m] [name_m]Irving[/name_m] - [name_m]Yaakov[/name_m] [name_m]Idan[/name_m]

Summary

Meaning “Supplanter of an era”. I hope that my children and their generation will lead us into a better world of their creation. [name_m]Irving[/name_m] also references a Holocaust survivor I had the pleasure of listening to and telling his story to the “next generation” (aka the 5th graders at my synagogue school). If every child has an ounce of his bravery, kindness, and humor, the world will be a better place. I’ll settle for passing on those qualities to my own kids.

[name_m]Simon[/name_m] [name_u]Everett[/name_u] - [name_m]Shimon[/name_m] [name_m]Yisroel[/name_m]

Summary

Meaning “He has heard and he will contend”. No matter how old you are when you first learn of your family history, especially if it is marked by violence and oppression, you will have to deal with grief and anger at the world. I hope that my children will listen to their family’s stories and come out the other side stronger, more thoughtful people because of it.

[name_u]Wyatt[/name_u] [name_m]Solomon[/name_m] - [name_m]Naftali[/name_m] [name_m]Shlomo[/name_m]

Summary

Meaning “[name_f]My[/name_f] struggle for peace”. I hope that my children will take on the mantle and become activists of their own right for equality, continuing the struggle my family has fought for for generations.

[name_m]Henry[/name_m] [name_m]Ezekiel[/name_m] - Hebel Yechezkel

Summary

Meaning “Breathe, God will strengthen”. Anxiety runs in my family, and although any children I have likely won’t be blood related I hope they remember to take a breath and relax. Their family will support and strengthen them no matter how tough it gets.

[name_m]Oscar[/name_m] [name_m]Abraham[/name_m] - [name_m]Amit[/name_m] [name_m]Alter[/name_m]

Summary

Meaning “Old friend”. [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] was one of my first name loves, and I love the imagery and strength in an old friend. Hopefully my son can embody and live up to that feeling of love that his name provides for me.

[name_m]Leo[/name_m] [name_u]Sullivan[/name_u] - [name_m]Arieh[/name_m] [name_m]Deror[/name_m]

Summary

Meaning “[name_u]Free[/name_u] as a lion”. I hope that my children grow up to feel free to be themselves. [name_u]Sullivan[/name_u] is a reference to the street Greenwich Village is connected to, the site of the [name_m]Stonewall[/name_m] riots. As a young member of the LGBT+ community, I owe a lot to the original pride movement and I hope that my future children can be inspired by their perseverance and, well, pride, as they go through life.

[name_m]Eliezer[/name_m] = eh-LEE-eh-zer, [name_m]Chaim[/name_m] = high-um, [name_m]Ilan[/name_m] = ee-lahn, Amichai = ah-mee-high, Daniyyel = dan-ee-el, Yechezkel = yekh-ez-kull

Girls edition: Sage's Top 20 (girl's edition)

4 Likes

Wow, these are wonderful!

2 Likes

Gorgeous list!!
[name_m]Raphael[/name_m] [name_m]David[/name_m], [name_m]Leo[/name_m] [name_u]Sullivan[/name_u], [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] [name_m]Abraham[/name_m] and [name_m]Magnus[/name_m] [name_u]Jude[/name_u] are especially lovely

1 Like

Sage, I absolutely adore how much thought and time you have put into these beautiful combos. I can tell they mean a lot to you! Wow, how incredible :blush:

1 Like

I love [name_m]Daniel[/name_m] [name_m]Phineas[/name_m], [name_u]Callum[/name_u] [name_m]Xavier[/name_m], [name_m]Raphael[/name_m] [name_m]David[/name_m], and [name_m]Samuel[/name_m] [name_m]Ronan[/name_m], but the top prize absolutely has to go to the stunning pairing of the solid, warm [name_u]Elliott[/name_u] [name_m]Stan[/name_m] and the poetic, lyrical [name_m]Eliyahu[/name_m] [name_u]Shai[/name_u]. Wow! Also, I would not have thought of [name_m]Magnus[/name_m] as the everyday alternate name for your beloved Amichai but I do think it totally works!

Simon [name_u]Everett[/name_u] is absolutely stunning. They all are, but that one is amazing. And the meaning gave me chills. Wonderful list.