Saint's Names

I’m Catholic and coming up on my confirmation, a sacrament where I get to choose a saint’s name to take as my own. So I kind of get to choose a second middle name, which I am super excited about. I need help deciding which sounds best with my name. Sometimes, as in the case with [name_f]Marguerite[/name_f], I can choose a name that’s derivative of it, like [name_f]Margot[/name_f]. But it can’t be a big stretch. Here is my current list, with info.

My name right now is [name_f]Emma[/name_f] [name_f]Claire[/name_f] Wrights (well the last name sounds like Wrights). And the name will go between [name_f]Claire[/name_f] and Wrights.

If anyone wants to help or give opinions or ideas I would so appreciate it!

I really like [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f], from your options! And I think [name_f]Emma[/name_f] [name_f]Claire[/name_f] [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] sounds pretty amazing.

I am not Catholic, but the naming tradition always sounded lots of fun, and I think if I were to have gone through it, I would have used either [name_f]Odilia[/name_f] (St. [name_f]Odilia[/name_f] of Alsace) or [name_f]Lucia[/name_f] (St. [name_f]Lucy[/name_f]/[name_f]Lucia[/name_f] of Syracuse). I love their stories, and think the names are beautiful! [name_f]Odilia[/name_f] is on my own list as a middle, and I’d love to get [name_f]Lucia[/name_f] on there somewhere, too. :slight_smile: I think [name_f]Emma[/name_f] [name_f]Claire[/name_f] [name_f]Lucia[/name_f] or [name_f]Emma[/name_f] [name_f]Claire[/name_f] [name_f]Odilia[/name_f] would be gorgeous, too!

Good luck!

Ooh there are some lovely options you’ve listed, I particularly like these ones…

[name_f]Emma[/name_f] [name_f]Claire[/name_f] [name_f]Josephine[/name_f]
[name_f]Emma[/name_f] [name_f]Claire[/name_f] [name_f]Matilda[/name_f]
[name_f]Emma[/name_f] [name_f]Claire[/name_f] [name_f]Margaret[/name_f]
[name_f]Emma[/name_f] [name_f]Claire[/name_f] [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f]

I found it hard to choose my confirmation name, because I wanted a saint’s name that had a really inspiring story behind it, and there are so many. I did a lot of research, as you clearly have done, and I actually wanted to adopt Wulfhilda as mine, but our priest rejected it and accused me of not taking it seriously enough. I wasn’t looking to be out there, I genuinely wanted it. Anyway eventually I went for [name_f]Charity[/name_f].

I have no cause to use mine now, because I no longer align myself with the Catholic Church, and I do miss [name_f]Charity[/name_f]!

Congratulations! As a name nerd I LOVED choosing my confirmation name as well and took a lot of pride in it. Mine is [name_f]Anastasia[/name_f], which I see is one of your options. Saints are such inspiring, faithful women that it so easy to fall in love with their stories. I would say try to find one of them that speaks to you personally. I love seeing that you have done your research, which is important because ultimately the name should reflect your faith, not which name sounds the best. Though it doesn’t hurt that so many saints have such beautiful, strong, awesome names!

Of your options I love [name_f]Margaret[/name_f], [name_f]Theodora[/name_f] and [name_f]Matilda[/name_f]. I’ll also throw out [name_f]Aurelia[/name_f], [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f], [name_f]Angela[/name_f], [name_f]Serafina[/name_f], [name_f]Faustina[/name_f], [name_f]Ursula[/name_f] and [name_f]Therese[/name_f] (the little flower is one of my favorites!). They are all wonderful namesakes!

I really like

[name_f]Emma[/name_f] [name_f]Claire[/name_f] [name_f]Cleopatra[/name_f] (this sounds very romantic and dramatic to me)
[name_f]Emma[/name_f] [name_f]Claire[/name_f] Anatasia
[name_f]Emma[/name_f] [name_f]Claire[/name_f] [name_f]Marguerite[/name_f]
[name_f]Emma[/name_f] [name_f]Claire[/name_f] [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] (this also sounds very romantic to me)
[name_f]Emma[/name_f] [name_f]Claire[/name_f] [name_f]Theodora[/name_f]
[name_f]Emma[/name_f] [name_f]Claire[/name_f] [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f]

I made my confirmation when I was 10, and I was already a big name nerd! But I wish I’d been older because I would have chosen differently - not because of the name, but the saint. ([name_f]Agnes[/name_f], FWIW. My middle is [name_f]Theresa[/name_f] though, and [name_f]Therese[/name_f] and [name_f]Teresa[/name_f] always felt like those were “my” saints, anyway)

I like [name_f]Josephine[/name_f], [name_f]Marguerite[/name_f] and [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] best. Please let us know what you pick!

My son just made his Confirmation last year, and really wanted to choose a saint with a history in learning and the sciences. He chose St. [name_m]Albert[/name_m] the Great, one of the church’s greatest intellects, especially in science and math.

Anyhow, I think it is wonderful you are choosing to study each saint and their history. I really love [name_f]Emma[/name_f] [name_f]Claire[/name_f] [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] for you, as well as [name_f]Emma[/name_f] [name_f]Claire[/name_f] [name_f]Anastasia[/name_f].

Thank you all for your responses! I’m glad you all appreciated my research! They all do have such beautiful stories. I think [name_f]Marguerite[/name_f]/[name_f]Margot[/name_f], [name_f]Anastasia[/name_f] and [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] are my favorites currently. I’ve been in love with [name_f]Cleopatra[/name_f] for a long time now, and always assumed I would take her as my name, but it just seems like her story doesn’t have enough substance. Any more opinions on the list as a total? Or whether anyone prefers [name_f]Margot[/name_f] vs. [name_f]Marguerite[/name_f]? :slight_smile:

[name_f]Hermione[/name_f] is really lovely. I also like [name_f]Marguerite[/name_f], [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f], [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] and [name_f]Theodora[/name_f].

I don’t like [name_f]Collette[/name_f], [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] or [name_f]Priscilla[/name_f]. [name_f]Cleopatra[/name_f] is kind of cool, but I think it’s a bit -too- dramatic. I don’t like [name_f]Anastasia[/name_f], and from a cultural perspective I find it pretty common and boring - I know lots and lots of Anastasias. I might be biased there. And [name_f]Matilda[/name_f], and [name_f]Edith[/name_f], are fine - I just feel they’re a bit less interesting than my top picks.

[name_f]Margaret[/name_f] is a fine name, but I’ve always found it pretty safe and boring. One of these ‘classic’, ‘timeless’ names which is just a bit dull. Not a bad name, just not interesting. I think, compared to your other options, [name_f]Emma[/name_f] [name_f]Claire[/name_f] [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] is really uninteresting. [name_f]Emma[/name_f] [name_f]Claire[/name_f] [name_f]Marguerite[/name_f], though, is pretty - it’s a spin on [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] but more interesting and unusual from an English-speaking standpoint. I don’t care for [name_f]Margot[/name_f], though. Too close to ‘maggot’ for me.

My least favourite has to be Ia. It’s too short, especially with [name_f]Emma[/name_f] and [name_f]Claire[/name_f], and, as it’s pretty much identical to Iä, has this weird Lovecraftian overtone. Which is kind of cool but probably not what you’d want. If you want an Irish saint name, there are plenty of, in my opinion, prettier ones out there.

I chose [name_f]Rose[/name_f] as mine, it is a family name and I thought it flowed well and was very classic, modest and simple

I’m still happy with my choice, although it is very “safe”

I like [name_f]Marguerite[/name_f] best out of your options, I think it is gorgeous

Also, have you considered [name_f]Magdalene[/name_f]? I think it’s very pretty

Is there a saint whose life speaks to you particularly? Have you done some reading about saints or gone through a book detailing their lives?
That could be a great way to start. If you come from a particular ethnic background, say Irish for example, you could find an Irish saints name if you wanted to celebrate this.
If you want a Catholic perspective, this lady takes requests and makes suggestions for baby names. I’m sure she’d be up for a confirmation name. https://sanctanomina.wordpress.com/

I certainly do love all of the names on your list, so I don’t think you could go wrong with any of them. However on the [name_f]Marguerite[/name_f] vs. [name_f]Margot[/name_f] stand-point, I feel that [name_f]Marguerite[/name_f] sounds better with your name than does [name_f]Margot[/name_f]. I do love the name [name_f]Margot[/name_f], I just feel that [name_f]Marguerite[/name_f] adds a touch of substantial elegance to your name while [name_f]Margot[/name_f] is just too short.

I think you should go with [name_f]Marguerite[/name_f] rather than [name_f]Margot[/name_f]. It goes better with your name, and St. [name_f]Marguerite[/name_f] [name_f]Marie[/name_f] Alacoque is an absolutely wonderful Confirmation saint. I love the suggestions of [name_f]Hermione[/name_f] and [name_f]Magdalene[/name_f] too. [name_m]Bear[/name_m] in mind you can pick a male saint name! I will throw out:

Jéhanne
Geneviève
[name_f]Leocadia[/name_f]
[name_f]Perpetua[/name_f]
[name_f]Felicitas[/name_f]/[name_f]Felicity[/name_f]
[name_f]Hildegarde[/name_f]
Scholastica
Emerentiana
Arthelais
[name_f]Francesca[/name_f]
[name_u]Valentine[/name_u]
[name_f]Solange[/name_f]
[name_f]Eulalia[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucia[/name_f]

Wowie the favorite is definitely [name_f]Marguerite[/name_f]! I really like it and I’m kind of excited to see that people prefer it over [name_f]Margot[/name_f]. My friends and family prefer [name_f]Margot[/name_f] but I feel it would be more meaningful for me to choose [name_f]Marguerite[/name_f] because it’s a direct connection to the saint. My late grandmother’s name was also [name_f]Margaret[/name_f], so it has even more meaning. @chrisco I am a big fan of [name_f]Francesca[/name_f] and [name_f]Solange[/name_f], I’ll go do some research on them! Thanks everyone for all the suggestions and comments! If anyone has any other thoughts or ideas let me know, it’s so appreciated! :slight_smile: