Saire (would rhyme with air)

First off, I’m not some crazy wacky chic who would think of myself as someone who makes up names for her kids. But… maybe I am?

We’re struggling so much with names, and we both rather like the idea of Saire for a girl. I’m wondering if any of you have input on using a name that is very very rare. I really want to steer away from the super popular names. We’re also considering [name]Adrienne[/name] and [name]Grace[/name].

Be brutal! Am I dooming my kid to a lifetime of name-angst?

Well I definitely think it’s pretty looking, but I would assume the pronunciation was something like Sigh-eer, which would be really pretty. Saying it to rhyme with air sounds like a stunted version of [name]Sara[/name]. I’d be more concerned with pronunciation issues than people thinking it was a made up name.

Maybe [name]Siri[/name] instead? Kind of the same feel as Saire, but infinitely more user-friendly. (And if you want to avoid overly popular names, steer clear of [name]Grace[/name].) I like the look of Saire, but out loud it sounds like a less-substantial version of [name]Sarah[/name].

I think it sounds beautiful, has a much different feel to it than [name]Sarah[/name] (which i think is matronly and boring). You might want to consider dropping the “e” to make it more reader friendly. Kudos to you for being so creative. What are you thinking for a middle name?

Syaire? Cyaire? Cyeir
It’s pretty I just don’t think the spelling’s right for how you want it pronounced

I have been thinking about this for a few days. Though it is unusual, and you will probably have to tell people how to pronounce it - once you do it is easy to pronounce, so it will probably only take once. I do agree with everybody else about the spelling but am not sure what to recomend except Sair, which isn’t as visually appealing . . . . What kind of middle names are you thinking? You could use Saire [name]Grace[/name] or Saire [name]Adrienne[/name] to give baby a second (more common choice) for when she is older.

You said to be brutal, so here it is: I think you ARE condemning your child to a lifetime of name angst. But the chances are, if you choose Saire (or Sair or Sare or Sayr or even [name]Siri[/name]), you’re also choosing a name your child will almost certainly grow into and learn to love and be very proud of. [name]Linda[/name] and I have been talking to a lot of people with really unusual names and both say while it can be really difficult when they’re little, by the time they’re teenagers they usually love it and feel really special because of their singular names. But easy, it will not be. I do like [name]Siri[/name] – and how about [name]Sayer[/name]?