Salem?

I’ve adored [name_u]Salem[/name_u] for a long time, but I’m not sure how usable it is. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you think it’s usable and what do you think of i?

[name_f]TIA[/name_f]

Edit: The Salem witch trials don’t bother me

1 Like

Witch trials. Sorry.

[name_u]Love[/name_u] the sound and the meaning, but can’t get past the association, unfortunately. Prefer [name_u]Shiloh[/name_u] (meaning) or [name_m]Sayer[/name_m] (sound).

I like it!
The witch thing just isn’t a big deal for me.

1 Like

It’s a bold choice, but I like it!

I like the sound of [name_u]Salem[/name_u]… slightly prefer it on a girl though. I do think of the witch trials and I think almost everyone else will say that too when asked, regardless of if that bothers you or not, so you might not be able to get an unbiased opinion.

It’s bold, but I really like it! The witch associations doesn’t bother me, and I’m a fan of [name_u]Salem[/name_u] for a girl - I never really considered it for a boy.

Thank you guys for your responses. I’m definitely leaning towards [name_u]Salem[/name_u] as a middle name.

I love it! Go on and use!

I actually like [name_u]Salem[/name_u]. I prefer it on a girl as it’s the only place I’ve ever seen it. My friends daughter is [name_u]Salem[/name_u] “[name_f]Sally[/name_f]”

But I could see [name_u]Salem[/name_u] on a boy too. Could use [name_m]Saul[/name_m] or [name_m]Lemmy[/name_m] as nicknames.

It doesn’t bother me because [name_u]Salem[/name_u] is just the towns name, it still exists today. They have re-enactments which have been described as “goofy”, they have walking tours through the house of the judge who sentenced the nineteen, they have witch themed stores and restaurants, a statue of a witch, tours of a replica dungeon, the dungeon museum also has wax figures of the accused. This seems to show a far greater disregard for the people falsely accused than a name that has existed since biblical times. There’s also [name_u]Salem[/name_u], Oregon and there were MANY other witch hunts.

And then there’s [name_u]Salem[/name_u]'s Lot by [name_m]Stephen[/name_m] [name_m]King[/name_m]. I hope she’s a Goth girl so she can enjoy the name.

I actually associate [name_u]Salem[/name_u] with the king from the alchemist, who was very wise and generous. I think it’s a beautiful and unique name

[name_u]Salem[/name_u] was on my guilty pleasures list for boys for awhile. I like it for the peaceful meaning and as a unique way to get to “[name_u]Sam[/name_u].” [name_m]Don[/name_m]'t think it’s actually usable as a first name, but would be a lovely middle.

I can look beyond the witch trials and as such, that association doesn’t bother me either. If you have a particularly special reason for choosing it, eg: it’s a familial namesake, then you can tell would-be critics that you think of that reason well before its history. It’s less daring than naming a child [name_m]Lucifer[/name_m] certainly!

my name is salem and i love the name. it does have the witch trials associated with it, but i think it’s a cool name and i never got comments/bullied for it (also yes i know this is suuuuper late haha)

1 Like

I understand that the [name_u]Salem[/name_u] Witch Trials don’t bother you, but I find it impossible to separate the name from them. Particularly as a male name as it was males sentencing women to death.

Also, I’m old enough to remember the [name_u]Salem[/name_u] cigarette ads on TV.

None of these are reasons not to use it. I’m a big believer in taking back the names (at least many of them). I just wouldn’t do it on this name myself.

Though [name_u]Sal[/name_u] and [name_m]Lem[/name_m] are cool nns.

Salem is super cool and Edgy! It makes me think of the cat from [name_f]Sabrina[/name_f] :woman_shrugging:t3: Could be good for a boy or a girl! I love [name_u]Salem[/name_u]. It has a lot of personality to it without being incredibly long. I don’t associate it with the witch trials. It’s pretty unique and intriguing. Honestly such a good name!