Same letter sibsets?

[name_f]My[/name_f] great grandmother’s name was [name_f]Samira[/name_f]. She had three children (2 boys & 1 girl), and named them [name_m]Silvio[/name_m], [name_m]Sergio[/name_m] and [name_f]Silvia[/name_f]. Then my grandmother (Silvia) literally named her only child (my mother) [name_f]Silvania[/name_f] :joy:, and [name_m]Silvio[/name_m] named his only child [name_m]Samuel[/name_m], [name_m]Sergio[/name_m] didn’t have kids.

Thankfully my mom broke the wheel and named me something with a different letter. However, I’m 99% sure I’ll name my girl [name_u]Sol[/name_u] :neutral_face:.

What’s your opinion on sibsets with names that start with the same letter? I personally find it pretty cringe, but I was wondering what was everyone else’s view on it?

4 Likes

I love matching sibsets :joy:
Preferably themed, but personally i do like sibsets starting with the same letter lol

I’d even consider doing it myself with the letter P

1 Like

I don’t mind it! It can be pretty cute, so long as the names themselves aren’t too similar in sound

1 Like

I love them! I have cousins named Cruz (b), Carmen (g), and Cora who are all one sibset, and I think it’s just adorable.

2 Likes

I think if it happens, it happens. A lot of times people happen to like a lot of names with the same beginning sound, but I don’t think it should be forced. Like I would never want to force myself not to use my absolute favorite name ever simply because it doesn’t start with a certain letter. That’s just my opinion though, I know people who do specifically choose a certain letter and that works for them.

1 Like

I love it, personally, especially when it doesn’t feel too matchy (which is super subjective). I’m especially keen on same letter multiples (like, to the point where I have a hard time doing anything else when it comes to multiples lol). I can understand why it isn’t some folks’ cup of tea though.

1 Like

It’s not for me. I’m not super crazy about themed sibsets in general. The names tend to feel mismatched to me since they’re usually picking something specifically because it starts with the same letter, but it frequently ends up being a totally different style because they kinda backed themselves into a corner with the letter thing. I know that’s really not important in the long run, it just bugs my ocd haha. If it’s unintentional, I get that, I’m just not crazy about when it is intentional. I think it can feel quite forced and a little cheesy (totally subjective & not always).

It is what my parents were going to do if they’d had more kids, though. And they were actually going to take it a step further with all their kids names starting with the first 3 letters and our middles were also going to start with the first letter.

1 Like

I think it’s cute and fun for 2 or 3 kids. When you get to 5+, it just starts to feel really forced.

1 Like

I personally love alliteration so I am all for it! I love subtle themes!

[name_f]My[/name_f] husband and his brother have C names ! And we had 2 dogs [name_m]Wilson[/name_m] and [name_u]Winter[/name_u] !

We have contemplated using a D name for our next child and have thought about
[name_f]Demi[/name_f] , [name_f]Daphne[/name_f] , [name_f]Delia[/name_f], Demaris
[name_m]Dashiell[/name_m], [name_m]Dominic[/name_m] , [name_u]Davis[/name_u]

But I am slightly torn to use a B name so we can be the A BCD family! However I like less B names

[name_m]Benedict[/name_m] ( [name_m]Ben[/name_m] or [name_m]Ned[/name_m] or Eddie)
[name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] , [name_f]Bridget[/name_f] and [name_f]Bayla[/name_f]

1 Like

What amazes me with your family is the occurrence of [name_m]Silvio[/name_m], [name_f]Silvia[/name_f], and Silvania!! How many more versions could you even have of essentially the same name? Maybe Silvonna?

Generally, I like matched initial sibsets, as long as the names still sound distinct from each other. I’m not a huge fan of changing the spelling just to get the right initials. (Kaleb, [name_f]Jinger[/name_f], etc.)

[name_m]Favorite[/name_m] matched sibsets I’ve known:
[name_u]Eli[/name_u] & [name_f]Emma[/name_f]
[name_f]Amy[/name_f], [name_f]Abigail[/name_f], & [name_m]Andrew[/name_m]
[name_f]Midori[/name_f] & [name_f]Malia[/name_f]
[name_u]Finley[/name_u] & [name_f]Freya[/name_f]
[name_u]Kimberly[/name_u] & [name_m]Kelvin[/name_m]

One problem with these themes is that it makes any adopted children, step-siblings, or half-siblings really stand out if they don’t have the same initial. The most extreme example is probably the Duggars, who have 19 kids starting with a J and then 5 years ago adopted their great-nephew [name_u]Tyler[/name_u]. I’ve also known a family that had four K initials, including a [name_m]Kaleb[/name_m], who adopted a [name_m]Caleb[/name_m]. Of course you can’t plan for everything in life, but I’d hate to create a naming situation where one of my children might end up being very obviously excluded.

Also, a K initial theme is fine until you only have 3 kids…(like one family I knew)

1 Like

I am part of a sibset starting with the same letter. The letter wasn’t chosen intentionally and the names aren’t very close in sounds or styles; it just happened! While I haven’t always loved it, it really isn’t a big deal (especially for smaller groups of siblings). I don’t mind it, especially if the names themselves are distinct.

1 Like

I’m a fan as long as there’s enough variation in the individual names that it doesn’t sound too similar. I think it’s pretty neat in that case. Silvio and Silvia are way too close for my taste lol That is cute to me when the child’s name has a connection to the parent’s too.

It depends on the names in my opinion. Like no offense or anything but Silvio Sergio and Silvia is a no for me but something like - Sylvie, Sophia and Samuel would be nice!