Same middle name

The middle name I want to use has already been used by my sister in-law for her daughter…is it a no go zone for a baby to have the same middle name as a cousin? :woman_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

I think it’s fine. It really won’t come up enough for it to be a problem.

1 Like

I think it’s fine. It might even be a fun connection!

1 Like

I think it’s fine but I’d advise talking it through with your SIL

1 Like

I would talk to her first. And consider alternatives unless it is a name you’ve loved forever!

The problem is we’re not telling anyone our chosen name ahead of her arrival…

It’s ok in my opinion. You can just tell her you loved the name too!

1 Like

Because it is a middle and not a first, I think it’s fine! You can just tell your SIL that it was a name you loved very much. Your children might even enjoy sharing a middle someday!

(Also, another thing to factor in, is is it a common middle? If so, then it’s even less of a big deal. Either way though, I think it’s perfectly acceptable to use it!)

Good luck! :blush:

1 Like

My brothers have the same mn, so I think it is fine for cousins.

It’s a very common middle name - [name_f]Grace[/name_f]. I’m so torn as I love it but obviously it’s already been used and it’s very common. Desperately trying to find an alternative but we’re using [name_f]Clementine[/name_f] for our first name and I’m finding it hard to pair up with a middle name. Any suggestions??

Grace is absolutely fine as a middle name that will be shared with her cousin :slight_smile:

I can see why you want to use it- lovely meaning and literally sounds great with almost any first name!

I wouldn’t think it’d be a problem, especially since [name_f]Grace[/name_f] is a common (and absolutely lovely) name and not a ‘unique’ name that nobody else would have. And [name_f]Clementine[/name_f] [name_f]Grace[/name_f] is beautiful, [name_f]Grace[/name_f] balances out [name_f]Clementine[/name_f] beautifully. If it really bothers you I’d suggest as a middle for [name_f]Clementine[/name_f]…

[name_u]Louise[/name_u]
[name_f]Jane[/name_f]
[name_f]Beth[/name_f]
Joy
June

Grace is perfectly fine as a middle name as cousins. If it was something more unusual I’d be slightly more hesitant, unless it was a family name, but with [name_f]Grace[/name_f] I’d have no issues using it. It’s not like the girls will use it much on daily basis and they might find it a fun connection when they’re a bit older

How common is the name? I agree with @SoJoCo, if it’s a somewhat common name, it’s fine. If it’s a more nuanced name, like [name_f]Seraphina[/name_f], it might be worth discussing with the cousins first.

If it’s a family name (on your side), definitely ok

If it’s one of those simple, generic middle names ([name_u]Marie[/name_u], [name_f]Ann[/name_f], [name_f]Grace[/name_f], etc), also definitely ok

But if it’s a family name, from her side, I’d say probably not

If it’s any other type of name, even tho you’re not telling anyone the name ahead of time, you’ll likely still have conversations about names! You can float the idea across her (along with others) and see what her reaction is

There are 3 girl cousins with the same honor middle and 3 boys with the same (different than the girls) honor middle in my extended family. It’s totally fine, something fun they share even.

Absolutely not. You and your partner get to name the baby anything you like.

Now if the middle name to be shared were [name_f]Boudicca[/name_f] or [name_f]Esclarmonde[/name_f], that might feel awkward, but not if you both came to it on your own.

No I think it’s completely fine!

There are multiple people on both sides of my family with the middle name [name_f]Grace[/name_f]. I don’t think it will be a problem. Maybe ask your sister-in-law if it will bother her just to be courteous, but it’s such a common middle name that, hopefully, she won’t mind.