Same middle name?

Hey !! Not pregnant but husband and I have been planning out the next pregnancy. I had said to my husband before that I’d love to honor my brother with his name in the middle spot for our daughter. Her name would be [name_f]Clover[/name_f] [name_u]James[/name_u] if we have another girl. But here’s the issue. [name_f]My[/name_f] husbands brother and his wife had a son this year and named him with [name_u]James[/name_u] in the middle spot. Would it be strange for cousins to have the same middle name? If yes, any suggestions for a different middle name. I think I like [name_f]Clover[/name_f] [name_u]Rhys[/name_u]. [name_f]Sister[/name_f] for [name_f]Myla[/name_f] [name_u]Grey[/name_u]

I definitely don’t think it would be weird for cousins to share a middle name, especially since the middle name is meaningful for you. Actually, two of my first cousins have the same middle name, and it’s never been an issue or felt weird!

4 Likes

Cousins having the same middle name isn’t weird at all. [name_m]Plenty[/name_m] of my cousins have the same middle name. It’s quite common since people often will use family names or religious names for the middle and those tend to be recycled

6 Likes

Sounds totally fine to me. They won’t be called by their middle names anyway.

I have the same middle name as my cousin and it’s never been weird! Especially with a common name like [name_u]James[/name_u] I think you’re totally good to go :relaxed:

1 Like

Not at all! I have the same middle name as one of my cousins and no one batted an eyelid. Especially since it’s a common name with personal significance, I think it will be fine.

Since it’s an honour name, I don’t think it matters - especially since [name_u]James[/name_u] is such a popular and familiar name -doesn’t feel strange at all!

I guess you could use a variation of [name_u]James[/name_u] if it bothers you -Clover [name_u]Jay[/name_u] or [name_f]Clover[/name_f] [name_u]Jem[/name_u] maybe?

[name_f]Clover[/name_f] [name_u]James[/name_u] is lovely though!

1 Like

Not at all. Several of my cousins share middle names.

[name_f]Clover[/name_f] [name_u]Jay[/name_u] is perfection !!! Much more gender neutral and that’s always been what I call my sweet brother. Thank you so much for that suggestion ! I love it

2 Likes

I don’t think it would be weird at all!

I have a first cousin and several extended cousins, plus two aunts, who all share my middle name, and it has never been an issue. In fact, my first cousin, who is seven years younger than I am, has always thought it was cool that we have the same middle name! So I wouldn’t worry about it. :slight_smile:

Besides, [name_u]James[/name_u] is such a common name. It’s not like something so unique that it might seem like you copied them.

I think it’s totally fine and very sweet.

I don’t think it would be weird at all for cousins to share a middle name, but I would strongly suggest you have a conversation with them about it before you officially select the name. If you didn’t address it beforehand, it could create familial conflict/drama, even if you aren’t close with them.

[name_f]Clover[/name_f] [name_u]James[/name_u] is a lovely combo!

1 Like

I don’t even know most of my cousins middle names lol

Not weird at all. I know four sisters who all have the same middle name as their mom. You’re good :wink:

I do not think it would be crazy at all I think it actually quite lovely!