Same name as best friend's cat?

This might sound bad, but I really need help.

I’ve been planning a legal name change for a while and have always loved the name [name_f]Mila[/name_f]. I’ve tried other names, but none of them work and [name_f]Mila[/name_f] is the only one I feel comfortable with and that I feel suits me. [name_f]My[/name_f] partner and close friend agree.

The problem is that I have a childhood best friend who named their cat [name_f]Mila[/name_f]. I didn’t even realise as said friend lives far away and it never comes up in conversation. I will likely always be friends with this person, so I just don’t know what to do.

Furthermore, I have already been using the name [name_f]Mila[/name_f] in professional settings for a few months, and I really don’t feel comfortable with any other names at this point. Names are personal and it’s not easy to find one you feel at home with and that suits you.

The friend knows I’m changing my name, but now I just can’t tell her what to without the worry thag she’ll get angry at me.

This is so awkward. What would you recommend?

I think your overthinking it (which is normal when it comes to big changes). I’m assuming Shes a good friend, as the friendship has stuck for so long. It would be rather silly for a good friend to get angry at something so personal. If it really bothers you, when you tell her your new name mention how you had thought up the name prior to knowing her cat’s name. (Communication is key) I have a dog with a person name and if one of my friends told me they were changing their name to [name_u]Charlie[/name_u] I wouldn’t even think twice about it. :slight_smile:

Thank you so much I’m honestly just thinking about it so much because I’m embarrassed I ended myself up in this situation. :slight_smile:

I’d say it’s alright. After all it’s bound to come up if any of you’re friends pets have human names. I myself have a [name_m]Buddy[/name_m] & know a [name_m]Buddy[/name_m] from school but I don’t connect the two.

1 Like

i think it’s fine, especially since your friend lives far away and the cat doesn’t come up in conversation much. plus, Mila is currently #20 in the US, so it’s a very popular name right now. your friend is bound to meet people named Mila!

you’ve already been using Mila for a bit, and you’re comfortable with it, so i don’t think there’s any reason to change it.

A little quite for you: “I doubt that a sincere friend would be deterred!”

I highly doubt that a friend you’ve had for so long would be angry if you shared your name with their cat! I totally understand the anxiety. But [name_f]Mila[/name_f] is your name too, as you’ve been using it and feel so comfortable with it. Your friend lives far away and it sounds like it won’t be consuming or odd for you and her cat to share a name. I’m sure the cat’s got plenty of nicknames anywho. :wink: You got this! I do think it’ll be quite all right!!

The fact she never brings the cat up in conversation, means it could simply be a coincidence. I don’t think you should be put off the name that feels right because of a cat you don’t see

[name_f]Mila[/name_f] is a super popular name, and she had to have realized it was a “human name” when she chose it for her cat, so I’m sure she won’t find it strange to have a human friend who shares the name. Also as sad as it is, cats only last so long, and your name is a huge thing, so I don’t think you should compromise your name because of a cat. Think in 15 years, the cat probably won’t be around anymore, and you would regret using a name that doesn’t feel completely “you.”

This is not to say you can’t use [name_f]Mila[/name_f], because you can. But what about [name_f]Camila[/name_f]? That could be her legal name, and then she could go by [name_f]Mila[/name_f]?

I have a [name_f]Mila[/name_f] <3 [name_u]Love[/name_u] that name so much. [name_f]My[/name_f] pets have “human names” and I would never find it odd if a friend of mine wanted to go by the same name. I would actually, if anything, take it as a compliment, just like my [name_f]Mila[/name_f] is not the only [name_f]Mila[/name_f] in the family, and I hope my relatives who used the same name just feel the way I feel: that we have great taste in naming our children! If you love the name and it feels right to you, if it feels like You to you, that’s hard to come by and I wouldn’t give that up. I really think it’s fine and that your friend will understand. As others have said too, [name_f]Mila[/name_f] is quite popular right now, so it’s more likely you fell in love via [name_f]Mila[/name_f] Kunis for instance than [name_f]Mila[/name_f] the [name_f]Cat[/name_f]!

Goodness! [name_f]Mila[/name_f] is a fine name for a person and a cat. This is not a problem.

I think you’re fine! [name_m]Just[/name_m] laugh it out with your friend if you can. It’s a funny coincidence and that’s all. [name_f]Mila[/name_f] is very pretty!

I think its an honor to be named after a cat. They’re noble creatures, give no flips like a cat. [name_u]Honor[/name_u] your namesake!

I think it’s totally fine and actually very sweet :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::cat2::black_cat::cat: