Samson?

[name]Hi[/name]. I am 35 weeks… and I broke down and went to the 3d sonogram place and found out the gender of the baby,
I was going to keep it a surprise but I just couldn’t wait! :slight_smile: I thought I was having a girl, now I find out I’m having a boy… no boy name picked out!

Dad’s Persian/Muslim.

We want a name that shortens to [name]Sam[/name]. At first I was thinking [name]Samuel[/name]

Now I’m thinking [name]Samson[/name] instead of [name]Samuel[/name], because it’s a little more different and edgy.
Is it a bad idea to name a Persian kid samson?
It feels kind of controversial to me…

I like the name [name]Samson[/name] a lot…

Is there a Persian connection I’m not aware of? It’s not like [name]Vashti[/name] or [name]Esther[/name].
I don’t think there’s any connection to the Qur’an but unless that’s an issue?

[name]Sampson[/name]
[name]Samir[/name]
Samad

Although i prefer just [name]Samuel[/name]

[name]Samir[/name] is Arabic meaning a friend to walk with in the evening. That’s so coooool.

I seriously considered [name]Samson[/name] for our son but it didn’t sound good with our last name (too many “S” sounds and too rhymey). We ended up with [name]Samuel[/name], which is perfect for him and I can’t picture him as anything else. I do love the unusual nature of [name]Samson[/name], though – it’s such a great name. As to the Persian question, I can’t think of anything, but I’m not a biblical scholar. All I know is he was strong and had his hair cut off and then wasn’t strong (I guess I know a little more than that, but that’s the gist of it). That’s the Bible, though – I have no knowledge whatsoever of the Qu’ran. However, if your son has Arabic roots, my vote is absolutely for [name]Samir[/name]. That is the best of both worlds and is an absolutely gorgeous name. If that’s not up your alley, I’d like to throw Samad out for consideration. Still gets you [name]Sam[/name] and has a different feel. Also a great name.

The Hebrew is Shimshon, so the English version is just not close to the real name. I can’t imagine that a Muslim father would allow his child a non-Islamic name…so that’s pretty cool in itself. [name]Samir[/name] and Samad are terrific names. I have two students named [name]Samir[/name] and they both go by [name]Sami[/name].

What is the Arabic version of [name]Shmuel[/name]? Why not go with that?

I love [name]Samuel[/name] [name]Vincent[/name] as a combo! <3 Samson is a good choice as well :slight_smile: I don’t understand why it would be controversial, but if it’s a huge deal, don’t do Samson, juts go with Samuel!

I love [name]Samson[/name]! [name]Samuel[/name] is handsome (it’s why he’s so classic!) but [name]Samson[/name] is so stunning and underused. Use what you love :slight_smile:

I don’t like [name]Samuel[/name] much but I adore [name]Samson[/name].

I also like [name]Cyrus[/name], which is sort of Biblical/Persian?