Save Gary!

[name_m]How[/name_m] can we save the name [name_u]Gary[/name_u]?

Hello,

I just wanted to remind all Garys that the name [name_u]Gary[/name_u] is dying out.

Not only are barely anyone calling their babies [name_u]Gary[/name_u], there’s a real shortage of cool Garys in TV, film and pop culture in general.

Where are the Superhero Garys?
Why are there so few songs about [name_u]Gary[/name_u]?
Why are we usually portrayed as blue collar schlubs, losers or bullies?

In these troubled times, I think it would be really great for all real life Garys to step up and be the best we possibly can be.

Hopefully, when all this is over, there’ll be a whole load of cool characters and maybe some self-isolation babies named after us!

Any other guys, especially Garys, have any thoughts or ideas on how we can save [name_u]Gary[/name_u]?

Go on Garys

You can do it.
Thegaryforce.com

3 Likes

I love [name_u]Gary[/name_u]!!! I think how to save it is give children a longer name, such as [name_m]Garrett[/name_m], [name_m]Garth[/name_m], [name_u]Gardner[/name_u], [name_u]Garnet[/name_u], or [name_u]Garland[/name_u], and use [name_u]Gary[/name_u] as a nn

@Garyjive, I admire your vision for a glorious, glittering, [name_u]Gary[/name_u]-filled future! :clap:

I do think you’ll get there. It’s just bad timing to be a [name_u]Gary[/name_u] right now.

In the UK (where I’m assuming you’re from, due to your excellent – and very [name_u]Gary[/name_u] – use of the phrase “top bloke”), the name [name_u]Gary[/name_u] peaked in the mid-60s. That means that most Garys are now in their 40s, 50s and 60s.

The name is not yet old-fashioned enough to come back around and feel adorably “vintage” to new parents. That’s the preserve of the Stanleys, [name_m]Alberts[/name_m] and Wilfreds, a couple of generations behind. A general rule of thumb is that a name needs around 100 years to cycle back into fashion.

But [name_u]Gary[/name_u], your time will come! I do think [name_u]Gary[/name_u] will come back eventually. [name_m]Harry[/name_m] is still hugely popular, and it has a very similar sound. And there are some great Garys, like [name_u]Gary[/name_u] Oldman and [name_u]Gary[/name_u] Lineker, to recommend it to future generations.

It could be worse, [name_u]Gary[/name_u]. You could have been born a [name_m]Keith[/name_m] or a [name_m]Clive[/name_m]. Or an X Æ A-12 :grimacing:

4 Likes

As far as cool pop culture Garys, I mean, [name_u]Gary[/name_u] from [name_u]Corrie[/name_u] is pretty cool, and I’m partial to [name_u]Gary[/name_u] [name_m]Barlow[/name_m]! Plus, [name_u]Taron[/name_u] Egerton’s character in the Kingsman series goes by the nickname of Eggsy but his actual name is [name_u]Gary[/name_u]!

Personally, I’ve toyed with it as a nn for [name_m]Garrett[/name_m] because [name_u]Gary[/name_u] is a family name and it might become a bit confusing otherwise! :stuck_out_tongue: [name_u]Gary[/name_u] is a pretty cool name though!

ETA: I realize that outside of the UK and the few fellow [name_u]North[/name_u] Americans I know who are like me and watch it - Coronation [name_f]Street[/name_f]/[name_u]Corrie[/name_u] is a British soap opera, my family watches it every night like clockwork :joy:

1 Like

I just want to say this made my day :joy: Save [name_u]Gary[/name_u]!:clap:

2 Likes

LOL! In Minnesota, a local talk radio station had a segment for years about saving the [name_u]Gary[/name_u]’s because it’s a dying name

Save [name_u]Gary[/name_u]!! :blush:

feel free! Please suggest this to any lucky pregnant pals. Garys are cool, aren’t we?

1 Like

[name_m]Ah[/name_m], but rather than waiting, do you suppose we can 'jump start’the cause and get some Garys in early?
Like, if there was a sudden burst of Garys all being amazing, don’t you think we could remind people of our awesomeness and inspire some baby names?
Like, maybe a Die Hard hero situation where a [name_u]Gary[/name_u] is front lage news for being ridiculously heroic?

1 Like

[name_u]Love[/name_u] this :joy:

I dunno… It’s quite hard to break the cycle of fashion. Pop culture heroes do boost the popularity of names, it’s true, but they kind of have to be up-and-coming cool already.

[name_m]Liam[/name_m] Neeson’s character in the Taken films didn’t inspire many baby Bryans, nor did Mad Men’s enigmatic [name_m]Don[/name_m] [name_m]Draper[/name_m] inspire many namesakes.

It’s an admirable cause, though. By all means, go out there and be the best [name_u]Gary[/name_u] you can be. Go [name_u]Gary[/name_u]! :fist: :wink:

2 Likes

you know, you could be the [name_u]Gary[/name_u] in the front page of the news; you could be awesome (not that you aren’t already :wink: ).

Shine on and dream big, [name_u]Gary[/name_u]!!!

I in no way like the name [name_u]Gary[/name_u], but I love this post and it’s positive vibes so much! Amazing! :joy::tada::grin:

I bet if there was a [name_u]Gary[/name_u] in Game of Thrones, you’d have seen a resurgence!
Maybe we can get one in Peaky Blinders, [name_f]Line[/name_f] of Duty or something like that…
I have already written to the writers of both shows but heard nothing back.
I assume it’s to do with this virus? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you, thank you…
Any suggestions on how I could grab some headlines?
I want to inspire LOADS of Garys to step up and put us back on the map!
I got a website and everything…

1 Like

Cheers.
Help a [name_u]Gary[/name_u] out.
You don’t need to call your kid [name_u]Gary[/name_u] or anything.
But, tell all the Garys you know to be extra nice this year. Good karma for all!
Maybe they’ll be so cool that people will want to name a baby in their honour!
That’s the goal.

1 Like

I like [name_u]Gary[/name_u]! It’s a bit of a middle-aged bloke name here in the UK but it’s perfectly nice as a name. I rather like the name [name_m]Gareth[/name_m] which isn’t so rare; I know one my age (22) and it’s still being quietly used for new babies. It’s a good thing that there are lots of potential long forms for it which might just be [name_u]Gary[/name_u]’s saving grace! I give it 20 years or so and it’ll be back :smiley:

1 Like

That’s almost certainly it :grin:

There actually is a [name_u]Gary[/name_u] in [name_f]Line[/name_f] of Duty. You’re not going to like it though. He’s one of the abusers on this👇 guy’s hitlist.

Sorry :neutral_face:

I particularly like [name_m]Garold[/name_m] :grin:

1 Like

Cheers,
Any pointers on how we could jump start this and get [name_u]Gary[/name_u] back in the game sooner?
I’m hoping that if I can encourage enough actual Garys to be better dudes, we can inspire more people to name their tykes after us!
It’s hard to find the right forum to get a message to ALL the Garys, though! :wink:

Sadly, I was aware of this…
But doesn’t mean there can’t be another one!
A D.I. [name_u]Gary[/name_u] McStrong, a grizzled, badass maverick who plays by his own rules and punches crime in the face!
They should give me a job.