"Saving" Names

We’re trying to decide between 2 boys names. In another post, someone recommended using one as a first name and one as a middle name. I said I wanted to “save” at least one of the names in case we have another boy in the future. A poster told me this was a bad idea since I may not have another boy and the chance to use that name would be forever lost.

What are your opinions on “saving” names? Good idea? Bad idea? Did you do it and regret it? Did you NOT save it, and regret it? I would love to hear your thoughts!

I think that if it works to use both names, then use both. If they blend well together as a first and middle name, I wouldn’t save one. Because, people are right, you might not have another boy. Also, even if you do, that name could get popular or you could start liking another name better by then. You might here another boy’s name that you love in 3 years, get pregnant and then feel like you still have to use the name that you saved.

I think [name]Jemma[/name] makes a good point. If the two names go together as a first and middle, it might be better to use them both on the chance you may not have another boy.

If they don’t go together, or if you’re planning on a larger family and chances are good you could have another boy, then I think it would be alright to save one of the names.

I love a lot of names, and I may never use any. I don’t really feel bad that none were used, and I know if I have maybe 2 kids now at most, they might both be boys or they might both be girls, a lot of names will go unused. It’s not like they are not still your names that you like here. I don’t know if saving names or using names is the way to go, I really can’t say.

On the one hand you may pretend in the future that you had no boys at all only daughters, then you never got to use either name anyway. [name]Imagine[/name] you used all your good names on the first son and then don’t have any strong choices left for another son - this to me is impossible! [name]How[/name] could someone only really like 2 names? I can see for others, it is a confusing process to narrow it down and really commit to a favorite ONE. And for some it is kind of like, no names really jump out to them, and they pick something more or less because it’s ok. I personally cannot comprehend having no idea, but then again, it is complicated by having a spouse who likes some but nothing you can agree on.

I mostly think there are so many great names, use them, don’t save them. Or save them. I don’t know. [name]Imagine[/name] your whole life you wanted two sons to be brothers with name A and name B. You can’t really predict what will happen or how many babies you’ll get or what sex they will be. [name]Imagine[/name] having to run out of names for daughters so the last one gets a boy’s name or a feminization, because you still love that boy name and accept you won’t be able to use it properly on a son. It happens. My aunt and cousin have 4 and 5 sons respectively and no daughters at all. Can’t say any of them have girls names, but one (the youngest) has a y in his name where he doesn’t need it.

You know yourself and whether you can imagine a life of what if and regret, so then use it or figure out that you wouldn’t change a thing and everything turns out fine even when you don’t get to use a name you love.

I don’t really believe in saving names. I think, if you like it, go for it! You don’t know when you’ll get another chance. None of us know if our next is going to be a boy or a girl, or what the next one will be, or the next.

I also don’t believe in using or not using family names out of obligation. Someone in my family told me to use my father’s name for our little boy. But I thought, hey, he had three sons of his own, if he wanted it used so badly, he the chance. Plus his name is not my style.

Also, I mentioned to my mother-in-law I wanted to use [name]Elijah[/name]. She quickly guarded it as her daughter’s name for her next baby, as it is a family name. Well, her daughter isn’t pregnant and she has two boys already, neither of which are named [name]Elijah[/name], so why should I hold off just because she wants to reserve the name for a son she is not yet pregnant with?

The point is, don’t let others pressure you into using or not using names, and don’t pressure yourself to hold off on a name that you love.

That’s really funny -mamapajama. I would have flipped out (in private, of course) if my sister named her newborn [name]Daniel[/name]. She can have any other name on my list. I might not even use it if I do have a son. If I met a guy named [name]Daniel[/name] tomorrow and we got married, then I’d have my [name]Daniel[/name] and name our son something else. If I never use it ever, I still feel like it’s mine forever! lol

Hello there!

If you and your hubby have a hard time agreeing on boy’s names, or if you know for sure you want to use the other name if you have another son, then definitely save it!

Yes, it’s possible you won’t ever get to use it, but really, it’s not the end of the world if you don’t.

I definitely have names “saved.” DH and I have a really hard time agreeing on boy’s names so I have to hold a few in reserve for the sake of having anything at all left to name them! :slight_smile:

When it comes down to it, we name nerds are just bound to “miss out” on a few of our favorites!
Who knows, if you can’t use your second boy name, maybe someday one of your children will use it for your grandson!

[name]Remember[/name] too that middle names are rarely used and so you won’t be hearing it often! My opinion: if you love the name and want to use it later, save it. If nothing else, you can always use it on a pet! :slight_smile:

P.S. If you WANT to use your other favorite name as a middle name, by all means do so! I’m definitely not trying to dissuade you from doing so!

Ha Ha, that’s so funny! Well, my little brother loves the names [name]Allison[/name] and [name]Neal[/name]. I won’t pirate them because I know they mean a lot to him but if after 7 children, as in both my parents and sister-in-law’s case, they don’t use the name, I think it’s up for grabs! Or it shouldn’t be forced on the next generation like my father’s name.

While pregnant for our second, we loved [name]Wilhelmina[/name] for a girl, [name]Liam[/name] for a boy. We had a boy and named him [name]William[/name], nn [name]Liam[/name]. Five years later, we had a little girl and named her [name]Wilhelmina[/name] anyway. If you really love a name, what can you do? Now if only I would have known that the rest of the world had discovered [name]Liam[/name] in the time since I fell for it in middle school… grr!

dove14 I think I agree with you. My husband & I do have trouble agreeing on names. Plus I want to save middle names for family names.

I agree there are always pets!!