Sawyer for brother to Finn? Y or N?

This is my 9th, and most likely last, child. [name_u]Finn[/name_u] is my 8th.

1 Like

Finn and this baby are my 8th and 9th. And this is most likely my last. I don’t think the older 7 would feel left out at all. I’m not trying to do a theme with the last 2, just love [name_u]Sawyer[/name_u] and already had a [name_u]Finn[/name_u]. I also love [name_u]River[/name_u] and [name_u]Jasper[/name_u].

2 Likes

Yes, [name_u]River[/name_u] and [name_u]Jasper[/name_u]. [name_f]My[/name_f] hubby likes [name_u]Golden[/name_u] and [name_m]Felix[/name_m], but I’m not sold on those.

1 Like

I would definitely use Sawyer! If they were your only children, some people may think you had a theme. However, in the middle of 9 siblings, I don’t think people will notice that Sawyer and Finn are part of the names of Mark Twain’s characters. And even if they do, those are amazing names and those characters are not bad connections at all! If you love Sawyer, use it!

It’s not like you’re naming your kids:
Juliet and Romeo
Bennett, Austen and Darcy (Actually, a few weeks ago, a member whose oldest son was named Darcy was considering the name Eliza for her baby)
Caspian, Edmund, Peter, Susan and Lucy
Arthur, Guinevere and Lancelot
Edward and Isabella (I believe there are many siblings with these names)
Edward, Jasper, Emmett
Margaret, Josephine, Elizabeth and Amy
Aramis and Athos (or Porthos)
Wesley, Potter & Granger

Just out of curiosity, this week, a couple was strongly considering William and Harry for their sons (no more siblings, I believe).

Jasper, River and Felix are amazing names! I love your naming style. Sawyer Felix would be awesome!

2 Likes

Thank you!

It took me a second to think of the connection with [name_m]William[/name_m] and [name_u]Harry[/name_u]. :grin: I wouldn’t have thought anything of them together.

1 Like

If you don’t mind the literary connection then go for it! It’s not like it’s something they’d get picked on in school, I think you as the parents may get a couple comments from older people but I doubt any of them would be negative. I think the names go together super well

1 Like

I didn’t think about the [name_m]Twain[/name_m] connection until I read some of the replies. I like them as siblings

2 Likes

I have zero problem with it and I’m a fan of the books. But I tell you what I bet 90% of the world haven’t even read them. The fact that you have 7 other children makes it even less of an issue imo! If you love it, embrace it.

River, [name_u]Jasper[/name_u] and [name_m]Felix[/name_m] are also flawless.

2 Likes

I don’t think it will be as noticable if you have 7 other children so I think you’re fine. I also love [name_u]River[/name_u]! I like your taste in names!

1 Like

Hearing that the brothers would be part of a large family actually changes my opinion—I was imaging just two boys. I think the connection would be much more subtle with 6 other siblings mixed in! Personally, [name_u]Jasper[/name_u] is my favorite from your list. Congratulations!

1 Like

With this context, I think it’s totally fine! Both are fairly mainstream choices (not too popular though), so it feels way less obvious than, say, [name_m]Huckleberry[/name_m] and [name_u]Sawyer[/name_u]. And the connection is a positive one.

Very best of luck with your newest addition! I think [name_u]River[/name_u], [name_u]Jasper[/name_u] and [name_m]Felix[/name_m] are all wonderful options too. Have you considered [name_u]August[/name_u] or [name_u]Archer[/name_u]? They just sprang to mind when I read your other names.

I’m seriously impressed that you’re 8 children in and still coming up with such gorgeous choices for #9! :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

I doubt many people in real life will make the literary association - I definitely didn’t. It probably won’t be a connection their friends will make, I say this because I’m 15 and know that none of my friends read classics.

1 Like

That changes things! Go for it!

1 Like

I was firmly no until I read [name_u]Finn[/name_u] isnt your only other child, since you have 7 other older kids i think the connection is much less noticeable and makes [name_u]Sawyer[/name_u] usable with [name_u]Finn[/name_u]

1 Like

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Thank you so much! This is the 7th boy too! It’s been hard to pick/agree on a name this time! There are so many I like, but hubby usu doesn’t like my picks. LOL!

[name_u]August[/name_u] and [name_u]Archer[/name_u] are actually on my boy list, too! [name_u]Love[/name_u] them!

2 Likes

I appreciate your perspective! Thanks!

The names work well enough that I’ve met two pairs of siblings with those names.

1 Like

Really? You have heard of 2 pairs of siblings with those names? Did you think anything of it when you heard them? [name_u]Sawyer[/name_u] is still my #1 (has been on my name list for 14 years), but hubby isn’t crazy about it. His #1 is [name_u]Golden[/name_u].

One pair the kids name was [name_m]Finnegan[/name_m] but called [name_u]Finn[/name_u]. The names work well together. If [name_u]Sawyer[/name_u] has been on your mind that long, you should use it. [name_u]Golden[/name_u] is also not a good name in my opinion. I can only think of the phrase and how hard the expectation to live up to it. What about [name_u]Sawyer[/name_u] [name_u]Golden[/name_u] as a compromise?

2 Likes

I honestly didn’t think of that until you said something. I think [name_u]Sawyer[/name_u] goes well with [name_u]Finn[/name_u]. Most people wouldn’t realize the reference in my opinion.

1 Like