Sawyer?

Explain this one to me. I have seen it batted around as a likely candidate for gender crossover. I really don’t understand why [name]Sawyer[/name] is a viable unisex name. It calls to mind [name]Tom[/name] [name]Sawyer[/name], [name]Sawyer[/name] on Lost, and, well, SAWS, I mean, I get [name]Emerson[/name], I get [name]Addison[/name], I get [name]Harper[/name] and [name]Peyton[/name] and even [name]Carson[/name]. But what about [name]Sawyer[/name] makes it more crossover friendly than [name]Tanner[/name] or [name]Tucker[/name]? Please explain this one to me.

I’m not sure what makes it more viable over [name]Tanner[/name] and [name]Tucker[/name]. The y maybe??

Does it matter? I don’t think most people make choices on a deep level like this, and even if we can work backwards to analyze it, who cares?

The only difference I see, on a surface level, is that [name]Sawyer[/name] has a soft melodic sound to it, where [name]Tanner[/name] and [name]Tucker[/name] are much more percussive and tough.

I’ve been thinking the same for a while, ever since a friend named her daughter [name]Sawyer[/name] a few years ago. I’m not a fan of it as a girls’ name at all, but I think I do see the appeal because a) it’s trendy and b) it brings to mind [name]Harper[/name], which is very much associated with girls (thanks to [name]Harper[/name] [name]Lee[/name] most notably). With that said, I’d probably assume that a [name]Sawyer[/name] was male and that he had trendy parents. It’s just a gut reaction, I guess. I don’t really like [name]Sawyer[/name] for a girl, but there’s nothing really wrong with it I guess.

Agree on both counts. Though [name]Sawyer[/name] is still all-boy to me (based on a little boy [name]Sawyer[/name] I know), I can see why this one crossed over more easily than [name]Tanner[/name] or [name]Tucker[/name].

I love the name [name]Sawyer[/name], but I actually prefer it on a girl. For some reason, and it may be my age, I have always associated [name]Sawyer[/name] with girls, though I have never met a [name]Sawyer[/name], male or female.
As for why it made the transition more easily than [name]Tanner[/name] and [name]Tucker[/name]… [name]Sawyer[/name] makes me think of a spunky little girl, one with a girly side but also some kind of almost, toughness to her. [name]Tanner[/name] and [name]Tucker[/name], and maybe it’s the T’s, just give me this image of a hard and stony individual. Not necessarily a boy, but someone who is almost the opposite of my imagined [name]Sawyer[/name].

I totally do not see the appeal-- to me it just has an unattractive sound overall (especially for a girl) and seriously, it means woodcutter. I’m not sure why it’s used for girls while [name]Tanner[/name] and [name]Tucker[/name] aren’t (yet)… maybe it’s that S is a softer sound overall than T. I can just as easily imagine a girl [name]Tucker[/name] than a girl [name]Sawyer[/name], though (which is to say, not easily at all).

Well, no I suppose it doesn’t MATTER, except that this is a forum devoted to talking about which names are popular and WHY. I wasn’t knocking anyone who likes the name, I have just seen people who generally do not suggest boys names on girls throwing [name]Sawyer[/name] out as if it has something feminine about it and I just wondered what I was missing. And it seems that no one can really explain it.

No, I don’t necessarily think there’s anything wrong with it, but I just find it very masculine. Whereas [name]Harper[/name] makes me think “[name]Harp[/name]”-which is more feminine. Maybe it’s my accent that really draws out the ‘Saw’ part? Oh, now I’m thinking of ubiquitous cheesy torture movies. Strike 3.