Scandinavian names for fraternal twin girls

[name]Hi[/name]!
What kind of names are you interested in, names of Scandinavian origin or names popular in Scandinavia? I picked some names with the same ‘feel’ to them as [name]Elsa[/name].
[name]Malva[/name]- beautiful flower name (90/ top 100 in [name]Sweden[/name] 2009)
[name]Greta[/name]- sounds very good with [name]Elsa[/name] (94)
[name]Agnes[/name]- classic (14)
[name]Alva[/name]- very popular in [name]Sweden[/name] (6)
[name]Alma[/name]- just so sweet (24)
[name]Stina[/name]-rising (57)
[name]Hedda[/name]- maybe to out there, very cute though (95)
Svea- my nick : P created as a personification of the Swedish country (71)
[name]Alice[/name]- not very Scandinavian, though no 1 on the Swedish charts (1)
[name]Viola[/name]- works very well in Scandinavia, too (not on top 100)
[name]Selma[/name]- very cute (36)

[name]Linnea[/name] is number 8 on the popularity chart.
Good luck! [name]Hope[/name] you have some use of my suggestions : )

[name]Elsa[/name] is a great name! [name]Glad[/name] you chose it!

When thinking of other scandinavian names to go with [name]Elsa[/name] (though not necessarily Swedish) we considered

[name]Linnea[/name]
[name]Kallan[/name]
Tarn
[name]Hanne[/name]

We still have Tarn on our list (or Tarne, or Tarney or [name]Tahni[/name]) if we have another girl.

be ready for a mixed reception with the name [name]Elsa[/name] though - some people have a hard time with the name (and we travelled a LOT through [name]Canada[/name], US and Australia with her). I don’t know why. Its seems a simple name to me.

For those of you who might be curious, my wife and I finally decided on [name]Elsa[/name] and [name]Linnea[/name]. We had always both really like the name [name]Linnea[/name], but my wife’s cousin had already named her daughter (who’s now 17) that and we felt a bit weird about giving our daughter the same name. However, she didn’t have any problem with us using [name]Linnea[/name], too—she actually thought it was really sweet. On a side note, unbeknownst to us, her daughter’s middle name is [name]Annika[/name], which also made it to our short list, but we won’t be using that one! ;-).

Phew, we’re so relieved we have this all settled. On to the next gazillion things we need to take care of before the girls arrive!

Thanks again all your input and feedback!
[name]Ron[/name] (in Seattle, WA)

I feel like cheering I am so happy that you are using [name]Linnea[/name]!

What a wonderful outcome, you not only got to use a name you both love but it is great to feel your family member is delighted and I am sure it will make the two LInneas feel like they have a special bond.

Best wishes and please post on Birth Announcements on Nameberry when the girls arrive.

To [name]Ron[/name] (I can’t find how to respond to an individual post at the moment):

Are you looking for / have any middle names in mind?

@[name]Karlee[/name]: We’re actually using my wife’s Frisian last name (Biljum) as the middle name, so their full names will be:
[name]Elsa[/name] Biljum van de Crommert
[name]Linnea[/name] Biljum van de Crommert

What was that one girl’s name, [name]Tiger[/name] Woods ex-wife? She had a nice scandinavian name :stuck_out_tongue:

[name]Tiger[/name] Woods’ ex-wife was [name]Elin[/name] (pronounced EE-lin).

We have decided on [name]Elsa[/name] and [name]Linnea[/name] for our twin girls’ first names, and we had initially decided on using my wife’s maiden name as their middle name. However, we’re reconsidering that, since we don’t want people to think we gave our girls double last names. I’m from the Netherlands and folks there would most definitely assume that if they see my wife’s maiden name in the girls’ full name. Also, my Dutch last name consists of three separate words (with only one capitalized), which is complicated enough here in the U.S., so we didn’t want to unnecessarily complicate the name situation.

So now we’re going to use some middle names that have been used in my wife’s family for a long time:

[name]Elsa[/name] [name]Astrid[/name] van de Crommert
[name]Linnea[/name] [name]Birgit[/name] van de Crommert

What do you think of these names? Would you switch the middle names, so [name]Elsa[/name] [name]Birgit[/name] and [name]Linnea[/name] [name]Astrid[/name]?

Thanks!

I love [name]Elsa[/name] and [name]Linnea[/name] - they are each such beautiful names and it’s a great combination! For the middles, I can see why using traditional first names may simplify things, and the ones you’ve selected are lovely. I would switch them, however, so that elSA [name]AStrid[/name] doesn’t repeat the sa.

[name]Elsa[/name] [name]Birgit[/name]
[name]Linnea[/name] [name]Astrid[/name]

I would also switch the middles for the same reason. [name]Elsa[/name] and [name]Astrid[/name] are both favorites of mine! I think you guys are good to go.

Great names all around but definitely switch the middle names - it was my very first thought.

[name]Elsa[/name] [name]Astrid[/name] is tricky and a little clunky with the double “A” because they are both 2 syllable names. [name]Linnea[/name] [name]Astrid[/name] works better and [name]Elsa[/name] [name]Birgit[/name] is lovely.