Scared of being too popular - girls name

We really like the name [name]Lola[/name] for our baby girl but are worried that it is becoming too popular this year - i hear that lots of babies are being called [name]Lola[/name]. I really don’t want a name that becomes the next big thing and there are five in a class. [name]Do[/name] you think that it isn’t too silly - ie could you see a lawyer or doctor having that name? (just in case:)!)

Other alternatives - [name]Satine[/name] - french for [name]Satin[/name], is this too weird or does it sound stylish?
Is [name]Cora[/name] too old fashioned or could it work?
[name]Imogen[/name]?
[name]Livinia[/name] or [name]Livia[/name]? Pretty or too much of a mouthful?

Brother’s name is [name]Evan[/name].

Thanks guys!

I really like [name]Lola[/name] but I don’t see it as a doctor’s or lawyer’s name actually. Have you thought of the French name [name]Sabine[/name]? There is a baby in my neighborhood with that name and I love it. Also have friends who love the book “[name]Griffin[/name] and [name]Sabine[/name]” and chose it for their daughter. I love [name]Cora[/name] and [name]Corinne[/name].

Forgot to say that I grew up with a [name]Lavinia[/name] and always thought it was such a cool name. It sounds like a good alternative to [name]Olivia[/name] which is so popular.

[name]Lola[/name]: I’m personally not a [name]Lola[/name] fan, and I do have a hard time seeing it on a doctor. :frowning: [name]Lola[/name] is indeed increasing in popularity, but if you love it, go for it! :slight_smile:

[name]Satine[/name]: [name]Satine[/name] is too close to Satan for me. :frowning:

Is [name]Cora[/name] too old fashioned or could it work?: I abolutely love [name]Cora[/name] ([name]Cordelia[/name], too)! I don’t think [name]Cora[/name] is too old-fashioned to pair with the modern [name]Evan[/name].

[name]Imogen[/name]: I do like [name]Imogen[/name], but not as [name]Evan[/name]'s sister.

[name]Livinia[/name] or [name]Livia[/name]? I like these names, but don’t think that [name]Evan[/name] and [name]Livinia[/name] work as a sibling set. I think [name]Livia[/name] is a better fit with the popular [name]Evan[/name], perhaps because of its closer similarity to the popular [name]Olivia[/name].

From your choices, I definitely vote for [name]Cora[/name].

Good luck! :slight_smile:

I do think [name]Lola[/name] is getting very popular, along with many similar names – [name]Lila[/name], [name]Leila[/name], [name]Lily[/name] etc etc I love [name]Cora[/name] and [name]Imogen[/name] and think both work with [name]Evan[/name], but think [name]Livia[/name] is too close to [name]Olivia[/name]. I like [name]Lavinia[/name] but would spell it that way. If you really don’t want to choose a name that’s too popular, or will be in the future, you do need to be willing to take more of a risk in terms of a name being unusual or old-fashioned or odd. A name that’s stylish and in tune with most people’s tastes is almost by definition going to be a name you hear a lot.

You have come up with some fabulous alternatives – let us know what you choose!

Or you could find a name where [name]Lola[/name] is the nickname. Then she has the option for a more grown up version later in life. Anyhting with “LO” will do…[name]Penelope[/name], [name]Chloe[/name], [name]Eloise[/name], [name]Gloria[/name], [name]Violet[/name], [name]Viola[/name], [name]Elodie[/name] (my fave), [name]Charlotte[/name]…so many options.

Or you could find a name where [name]Lola[/name] is the nickname. Then she has the option for a more grown up version later in life. Anything with “LO” will do…[name]Penelope[/name], [name]Chloe[/name], [name]Eloise[/name], [name]Gloria[/name], [name]Violet[/name], [name]Viola[/name], [name]Elodie[/name] (my fave), [name]Charlotte[/name]…so many options.

Great idea, also [name]Paloma[/name].

I’m sorry. All I think of when I hear [name]Lola[/name] is [name]Lola[/name] bunny from Spacejam or that bird from catdog (anyone else remember that?)

[name]Leona[/name] or [name]Lorna[/name] are lovely alternatives. Also not nearly as popular.

I like [name]Cora[/name], [name]Imogen[/name], and [name]Leonora[/name] nn [name]Nora[/name] the best. [name]Lenore[/name] is a favorite of mine. Not in style, but could be on the edge. [name]Don[/name]'t like [name]Satine[/name] at all. [name]Lola[/name] seems like a PG 13 rated name. I really like it, but not on a little girl or infant. I’m thinking you could give her a name that has the nn [name]Lola[/name], but not call her that until she’s older - maybe when she’s 15 or 16. [name]Lourdes[/name] is a beautiful name with the nn [name]Lola[/name].

I like [name]Lola[/name], but it’s one of those names that is hard to picture on a lawyer or something like that. I like [name]Penelope[/name] or [name]Paloma[/name] nn [name]Lola[/name] and the other suggestions, too. [name]Lourdes[/name] is beautiful, as well. [name]Cora[/name] is lovely and sounds great with [name]Evan[/name]. [name]Satine[/name] is way too Moulin Rouge! for me, though it is pretty. [name]Livia[/name] is nice, [name]Lavinia[/name]/[name]Livinia[/name] doesn’t go with [name]Evan[/name] as well.
I vote for [name]Cora[/name] or [name]Paloma[/name], [name]Viola[/name], etc. with [name]Lola[/name] as the nn.
Sorry, that post barely made any sense at all!

Thanks everyone! Food for thought, am now just as confused as ever of what i will end up with but have ruled out some names now for sure and have a clearer perspective. Wow this is so much harder than i thought, esp with hubby ruling out names as fast as i can come up with them! Thanks for your input, makes alot of sense:)

And we both love [name]Cora[/name] but had a thought - her cousin is [name]Keira[/name] and that is too close sounding methinks - drats there’s always something in the way! Another one I loved my hubby wouldn’t go for as it was his neighbour’s dog’s name… who was stolen (like that makes all the difference!)

You’ll find the perfect name, so don’t worry. :slight_smile: Here are some more names along the lines of [name]Cora[/name] and [name]Livinia[/name]:

[name]Amelia[/name]
[name]Alice[/name]
[name]Beatrix[/name]
[name]Bryony[/name]
[name]Celia[/name]
[name]Cordelia[/name] (nn [name]Cora[/name]…distances it from [name]Keira[/name])
[name]Corinne[/name]/[name]Corinna[/name] (another source of the [name]Cora[/name] nickname)
[name]Clementine[/name]
[name]Clover[/name]
[name]Cassandra[/name]
[name]Calla[/name]
[name]Dahlia[/name]
[name]Daphne[/name]
[name]Eleanora[/name]
[name]Frances[/name]
[name]Felicity[/name]
[name]Flora[/name]
[name]Genevieve[/name] (the Ev part may be too close to [name]Evan[/name], though)
[name]Georgiana[/name]
[name]Helena[/name]
[name]Hazel[/name]
[name]Iris[/name]
[name]Juliet[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name]
[name]June[/name]
[name]Jane[/name]
[name]Lila[/name]
[name]Lucy[/name]
[name]Leora[/name]
[name]Mabel[/name]
[name]Mirabel[/name]
[name]Miranda[/name]
[name]Maude[/name]
[name]Nora[/name]
[name]Olive[/name] (gives you the [name]Liv[/name] nickame in [name]Livia[/name])
[name]Phoebe[/name]
[name]Pearl[/name]
[name]Rose[/name]
[name]Ruby[/name]
[name]Simone[/name] (instead of [name]Satine[/name])
[name]Scarlett[/name]
[name]Sandrine[/name] (instead of [name]Satine[/name])
[name]Tamsin[/name]
[name]Tess[/name]
[name]Viola[/name]
[name]Violet[/name]
[name]Winifred[/name]

Good luck! :slight_smile: