Scottish boys' names?

I have some Scottish, as well as Irish, blood, and so we’re interested in using a Scottish name for one of the twins’ middles. We have a good few girls’ names which we like, but boys’ names have us stumped …

Complicated, traditional spellings are just fine with us (actually, they are preferred)!

I don’t know if I can give you complicated spellings, Twinkle, but I think all of these are Scottish:

[name]Alistair[/name] - “defender of the people”
[name]Coilin[/name] - “young child, peaceful dove”
[name]Fergus[/name] - “man strength”
[name]Hamish[/name] - “supplanter”
Macbeth - “son of life”
[name]Macrae[/name] - “son of grace”
Malise - “servant of [name]Jesus[/name]”
[name]Taggart[/name] - “son of the priest”

I tried to stick to reasonably nice meanings. Good luck!

[name]Lemon[/name]

Scottish:
[name]Alick[/name]
[name]Caelan[/name]
[name]Euan[/name]
[name]Graeme[/name]
[name]Rusk[/name]
[name]Seamus[/name]

Irish:
[name]Branigan[/name]
[name]Cailean[/name]
[name]Calhoun[/name]
[name]Callaghan[/name]
[name]Cully[/name]
[name]Kavanaugh[/name]
[name]Keir[/name]
[name]Madigan[/name]
[name]Mccanna[/name]
[name]Rafferty[/name]

You just have to have a [name]Lachlan[/name]!

My favs are [name]Lachlan[/name], [name]Keir[/name] and [name]Declan[/name]. And I love [name]Fergus[/name], [name]Dougal[/name], [name]Gregor[/name] and [name]Angus[/name] for their musty charm.

Others:

[name]Alasdair[/name] / [name]Alastair[/name]
[name]Alan[/name]
[name]Angus[/name]
[name]Archie[/name] / [name]Archibald[/name] – not strictly Scottish, but hugely popular there for centuries.
[name]Artair[/name] (AR-ter)
[name]Blair[/name]
[name]Boyd[/name]
Brannen
[name]Calum[/name]
[name]Cameron[/name]
[name]Campbell[/name]
Cinead
[name]Conall[/name]
[name]Dermot[/name] / [name]Diarmad[/name]
[name]Donald[/name]
[name]Duncan[/name]
[name]Dougal[/name]
[name]Donnan[/name]
[name]Douglas[/name]
[name]Euan[/name]
[name]Fergus[/name]
[name]Findlay[/name]
[name]Fingal[/name]
[name]Fraser[/name]
[name]Glenn[/name]
[name]Gordon[/name]
[name]Graeme[/name]
[name]Gregor[/name]
Greig
[name]Hamish[/name]
[name]Iain[/name]
[name]Keir[/name]
[name]Lachlan[/name]
[name]Lennox[/name]
[name]Malcolm[/name]
[name]Murray[/name]
[name]Niall[/name]
[name]Ramsay[/name]
Ranulf
[name]Ronald[/name]
[name]Ruaridh[/name] / [name]Rory[/name]
[name]Tavish[/name]
[name]Tomas[/name]

I love some of these suggestions! [name]Lachlan[/name], [name]Conall[/name] and [name]Alisdair[/name] are heading up the list at the moment. For boy/boy twins (we will be finding out the genders at my ultrasound tomorrow!) we are thinking :

[name]Benjamin[/name] [name]Cecil[/name] [name]Alisdair[/name]
[name]Frederick[/name] [name]Adam[/name] [name]Claudius[/name]

or

[name]Benjamin[/name] [name]Cecil[/name] [name]Claudius[/name]
[name]Frederick[/name] [name]Adam[/name] [name]Lachlan[/name]/[name]Conall[/name].

[name]Cecil[/name] is for DH’s grandfather, [name]Claudius[/name] is my grandfather, and [name]Adam[/name] is to honour my sister, [name]Adamina[/name].

What do you all think? Nicknames will definitely be [name]Benji[/name] and [name]Fritz[/name].

Is [name]Alisdair[/name] the “correct” spelling?

I think I actually would do [name]Benjamin[/name] [name]Alisdair[/name] ([name]Alastair[/name]) [name]Cecil[/name] and [name]Frederick[/name] [name]Claudius[/name] [name]Adam[/name]!

Suggest you check out [name]Fritz[/name] on wikipedia re derogatory term for [name]German[/name]

Living in [name]Scotland[/name] I’ve seen it spelled an number of different ways, but I prefer [name]Alistair[/name] which I think is most common.

I also love the traditional spelling of [name]Fergus[/name] - [name]Fearghas[/name] - I have a good friend who’s name is spelled this way.

[quote=“rollo”]

Suggest you check out [name]Fritz[/name] on wikipedia re derogatory term for [name]German[/name][/quote]

[name]Rollo[/name], I appreciate your concern, but as I have explained, I am not concerned about [name]Fritz[/name] being a “derogatory” term. The wars were a long time ago, I am British but have lived in Germany, and I am quite positive that there is no residual hostility. [name]Fritz[/name] is still a popular name in Germany, so clearly they are not concerned. I’m sorry to be snappish; I’m not in the best of moods with a scan and an adoption hearing next week.

[name]Lemon[/name] - [name]Alisdair[/name] was the spelling used a couple of generations back in my family … not someone I’m concerned about honouring (my grandfather’s cousin), but that is just the spelling I am used to! I actually think [name]Alasdair[/name] is the correct version … hmm, I think I prefer the look of [name]Alasdair[/name], actually. We would probably use that spelling, then.

There is a young man named [name]Fritz[/name] at the school where I work (Southern US). I think it’s very cute and never would have thought of any negative meaning with it. Also loved the suggestion of [name]Rafferty[/name] that appeared on someone’s list. I’m curious to hear what other people think of this name because I’d consider using it…

[name]Alastair[/name]
[name]Arthur[/name] - Celtic
[name]Callum[/name]
[name]Cedric[/name] - Celtic
[name]Colin[/name] - love
[name]Corin[/name] - Latin, but it’s a name from the [name]Narnia[/name] books, so I think of the British Isles when I hear this name.
[name]Dashiell[/name]
[name]Gavin[/name] - Scottish-Welsh according to Nameberry
[name]Graham[/name]
[name]Griffith[/name], [name]Griffin[/name]
[name]Lachlan[/name]
[name]Laird[/name]
[name]Logan[/name]
[name]Malcolm[/name]
[name]Maxwell[/name]
[name]Niall[/name], [name]Neil[/name] - Irish names
[name]Trevor[/name] - Welsh

Thank you for the reassurance, Rocetpop :slight_smile:

I love [name]Rafferty[/name], and would would definitely consider it as a middle if one of my sons were not already named [name]Raphael[/name]. I think it has a laidback feel to it, and is very handsome.

I love nn [name]Benji[/name]!

Also a big fan of [name]Calum[/name] :slight_smile:

I went for my scan earlier today, and the doctor is 99% sure it is twin girls, so these names won’t be needed, but I very much appreciated the suggestions all the same - thank you!

I’m still very fond of [name]Conall[/name] and [name]Lachlan[/name] … perhaps one day!

Twin girls! [name]How[/name] wonderful! Congrats Twinkle!! :slight_smile: