Scout as a nn for Sloane?

So, baby girl’s name is Sloane, but it feels a bit grown up for such a little one. Thinking of calling her Scout, since “Lo” or “Lola” doesn’t seem to fit as well.

So if her nn becomes her preferred name (i.e. Meg instead of Margaret), would it be confusing if she was Sloane that went by Scout? I don’t think it’s too far of a stretch, but I’m a creative type.

Whatever I choose is likely to stick because she has two older siblings. Leave your thoughts or suggestions below, but please be kind and don’t hate on her already given name :wink:

Both Sloane and Scout are awesome names! Though Scout as a nickname for Sloane is very strechy, I think it would make a very creative choice. Besides I have known plenty people who nns dont come directly from their real names. Besides the infamous Scout’s real name had nothing to do with her nn.

Best of luck! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Normally I’m all for creative nicknames, and I love Scout, but what strikes me as odd here is that they’re both one-syllable names with almost the same number of letters, and Scout is a separate name in its own right. It feels a bit unnecessary and random rather than simply a stretch. I might suggest Ona or maybe just Sloanie/Sloaney?

1 Like

Scout could be considered a generic nickname for girls -like sonny for boys! I think Scout makes sense.

Another option could be Essie since Sloane starts with s

2 Likes

I love it! Scout is sweet and also pretty unisex, which is always nice. Not too far of a stretch from Sloane- but even if it is, I don’t think it really matters; In fact, it’s nice to have two names to choose from that differ a little bit!

1 Like

I think it’s fine to have an unrelated nickname, but I think you have to be prepared for the fact that it might be a family nickname only as inevitably friends and colleagues will either call her Sloane or a nickname thereof.

1 Like

Hi there.

Sloane is gorgeous. Scout is super cute for a nn, & I think that it totally works. It’s a stretch, sure, but it works.

Hope this helps. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for all of the encouraging comments!

We do call her Sloanie at times, but big sis has taken to calling her Sloane the Sloth or Sloanie-a-bony (bologna).

I like Scout because it very much fits her personality, and I’m certain she will like it better than “sloth” or “bony/bologna” :joy:

Also thank you so much to the person who said the name Sloane is a beautiful name. I had a couple of family members comment on it with some distasteful remarks and it’s been bugging me ever since. It’s one of the reasons I want her to have a cute nn

I think it works! I had to think on it for a bit, but Scout comes across as a bit of a nickname-y name to me anyway! Love both of those names, and even if she does end up going by Scout, I don’t think it would cause problems.

Hope this helps!

1 Like

I think Scout works as a nickname for Sloane! It’s generic enough that it doesn’t have to directly derive from the full name.

1 Like

okay i have officially fallen head over heals for the name scout! especially as a nickname for sloane :revolving_hearts: 100% adding this to my list. you are such a creative mama, sloane is a lucky girl :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like