Seamus? Or... ?

So tomorrow will be a week until we find out gender! We have a girls name picked out- [name_f]Cora[/name_f]! We are both sort of hoping for a girl, especially my husband. We of course won’t be disappointed if its a boy. But we are struggling with names. The name [name_m]Seamus[/name_m] has been off and on our list for a while now. I’ve always had a love for the name, since I was a little girl. My husband just gave it the ok to put it back on the list, and its on the top. But both of our mothers say they like it but that they hear a lot of dogs with the name (they are both dog owners/lovers). I love the name and have been saying he will be ‘my little [name_m]Seamus[/name_m] monkey!’ If its a boy. But does this strike you as a dog name? I’m also worried about people mispronouncing it. It seems obvious and straightforward to me. And I don’t care if I have to correct a few people, but do you think most will know how to say it? My last concern- out last name sounds like Sisloh. I know [name_m]Seamus[/name_m] Sisloh doesn’t exactly mesh well… But I just love the name!!! [name_f]Do[/name_f] you think it is usable???

Other names on our list are [name_m]Oliver[/name_m], [name_m]Liam[/name_m], [name_m]Declan[/name_m], [name_u]Noah[/name_u] and [name_m]Callen[/name_m]. [name_m]Liam[/name_m] is sort of falling off the list. I [name_f]LOVE[/name_f] [name_u]Noah[/name_u] but would take a lot of convincing my husband. I’m not crazy about [name_m]Callen[/name_m]. And we both love [name_m]Declan[/name_m], but Im concerned that everyone seems to know a friend who has a son named declan.

What do you all think?

You’re pronouncing it “[name_u]Shay[/name_u]-miss,” correct? Idk why but [name_m]Seamus[/name_m] always sounded like a whale to me. :wink: not in a bad way, just like those cute little cartoon-y whales on baby clothes.

But I like the name in general. I just think it is really S heavy with your last name. I’m already saying “[name_m]Seamus[/name_m] Shislow” saying it out loud, so I can imagine his teachers and such might have a hard time! Haha but that doesn’t mean it isn’t usable. Now for your other choices…

[name_m]Callen[/name_m] is my absolute favorite. My pick if my little squidge is a boy.
[name_m]Oliver[/name_m] is almost tied with [name_m]Callen[/name_m].
[name_m]Liam[/name_m] and [name_u]Noah[/name_u] I love, but they’re just too common. [name_f]Lovely[/name_f] middle names, though!
[name_m]Declan[/name_m] is divine. According to the internet it is climbing the popularity charts, but I’ve never met anyone by that name.

I really like all of your choices and I think no matter what your little boy will have a fabulous name!

I think [name_m]Seamus[/name_m] Sislow sounds fine, I do know a [name_m]Seamus[/name_m] and I do like it, I’m just not Irish but Scottish. I like [name_u]Noah[/name_u] and [name_m]Liam[/name_m] from your list if you don’t use [name_m]Seamus[/name_m].

I have to say it’s a tongue twister with your last name :frowning: I like the name so it’s sad to say this but I just don’t think it works to be honest. I prefer [name_m]Callen[/name_m], [name_m]Declan[/name_m], [name_u]Noah[/name_u], and [name_m]Liam[/name_m] for you guys! :slight_smile:

I always thought of pronouncing it as “SEE-mus.” If you live in the US you will probably have some pronunciation problems. I always say if you have always loved a name, go for it. [name_m]Don[/name_m]'t let it collect dust in the back of your mind. If it is special to you then the rest doesn’t seem to matter so much. You can make it work by adding a middle name with no S to help the flow of the name like
[name_m]Seamus[/name_m] [name_m]Timothy[/name_m] Sisloh or [name_m]Seamus[/name_m] [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] Sisloh

I think that in the US the name is fairly well-known due to the [name_m]Harry[/name_m] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] character…it is a bit of a tongue-twister with your last name though. I like [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] and [name_m]Liam[/name_m] off of your list. [name_m]Callen[/name_m] sounds good with your last name, though it’s not my favorite. I also am more familiar with the [name_m]Callan[/name_m] spelling.

Thanks for all the feedback girls! :slight_smile: I’m still totally in love with [name_m]Seamus[/name_m]! I think [name_m]Declan[/name_m] is a close second. I just would hate to have it get shortened to Deck or Decky. I was thinking Ducky would be a cute nickname for a little boy.

I love [name_m]Seamus[/name_m]. I think it’s more common in [name_f]Canada[/name_f] than the US so that helps with pronunciation here. I love all your backups except [name_m]Callen[/name_m] which feels like currently popular syllables tossed together --just my opinion.

A name that often reminds me of [name_m]Seamus[/name_m], [name_m]Hamish[/name_m], [name_m]Angus[/name_m] etc is [name_m]Cormac[/name_m]. [name_f]Kinda[/name_f] sounds like [name_f]Cora[/name_f] too since you like those sounds. I swoon over the little nn “[name_m]Mac[/name_m]” too.

I love Seamus. In fact, I’d say there’s a 75% chance my son due in December will be named Seamus. As such, I am very biased.

However, I understand your concern. I’ll leave the questions about flow with your last name & your other options to other posters, & just share with you the feedback I’ve received (this isn’t formal data, just what I’ve casually put together on forums & in discussing the name with friends & family):

50% know & love the name. And I mean they LOVE it. They think it’s cool & traditional but underused. They think it ages well & fits a playful boy or a commanding man.

20% don’t know the name & are confused by it. They don’t know how to say it & then don’t know how they feel about it once they hear the correct pronunciation.

30% of people HATE this name. They hear Shame Us or can’t understand the idea that’s it’s pronounced Shaymus (not See-mus) even when they hear the correct pronunciation. Some people even say it looks (or even more stupidly) sounds like “semen”. (Sorry, but I find these people particularly dumb & have noticed on forums that they frequently misspell “semen”.)

Despite the mixed reviews, I still love the name! I think most people will hear it before they see it (unlike on forums), so the issues related to spelling/pronunciation will be dulled a bit. I also feel perfectly comfortable disregarding anyone who associates the name with ejaculate! I think kids will be reading HP for years to come & will therefore be familiar with the name.

I would never in one million years think of this as a dog’s name & I’ve never heard that comment before.

Personally, I think this is a name that is on the verge of becoming more commonplace without ever breaking the top 300. I have been told of this prediction by several “name nerds.” To me, that’s a comforting thought.
GL!