Seamus = "Shame us"?

It’s such an established name. I don’t think that would be a problem.

1 Like

It does sound like that, but [name_m]Seamus[/name_m] has already been a name for such a long time I don’t think it matters.

3 Likes

I adore the name [name_m]Seamus[/name_m] and I love seeing someone use it in real life!

Seamus is technically pronounced [name_u]Shay[/name_u]-mus (at least in [name_u]America[/name_u] it is). I do think most people will pronounce it Shame-us which is just slightly a different sound, but it basically sounds the same. Honestly, I don’t think it’s that big of a deal. Maybe if it’s worrying you give him a nickname like [name_u]Shay[/name_u] that puts an emphasis on the first syllable? [name_u]Or[/name_u] if you can’t overlook it (which is totally understandable), use another name in your top three? Good luck and congrats on your little one!

1 Like

Inthink your mom has a point. When you say [name_m]Seamus[/name_m] slowly it’s easy to distinguish how it isn’t Shame Us but when just talking regular [name_m]Seamus[/name_m] DOES very much sound like Shame-Us maybe not even the Us part but the word Shame is there. however as someone said [name_m]Seamus[/name_m] isn’t some newly created on the trend name it’s been around awhile so could it be something to overlook? Maybe. That’s your call. It kind of is in the same dilemma as girl name [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f]- some avoid it
For the I feel ya reference and some pick it despite it … although if your mom noticed it and her opinion matters maybe figure out with her and the rest of your family how much of a deal breaker it is.

1 Like

I honestly never in a million years considered this? I say it more like SHAY-mus than SHAME-us, but I guess it’s a fair enough argument. I grew up knowing of a [name_m]Seamus[/name_m] and have heard it pretty regularly ever since, and don’t recall this ever being an issue, so I wouldn’t be too concerned, but maybe in a population with less Irish Catholics it might be an issue? I would say it would be a non-issue for me. :heart:

Good luck!

1 Like

Thanks for all the input! It helps to know many of you hadn’t thought of “shame us”; I hope I didn’t ruin [name_m]Seamus[/name_m] for anyone :grimacing:
We have several months left, so I expect we’ll keep it on the list for now and see how the names settle for awhile yet.

1 Like

It’s never crossed my mind. I say SHAYmus, not SHAMEus. They don’t sound the same so I’d say it’s fine.

1 Like