Second guessing Johanna/Johanne

I really thought we had settled on [name_f]Johanna[/name_f] [name_u]Rain[/name_u] for our third girl, but then I started to dislike the repeating -a ending with my eldest [name_f]Honora[/name_f] (middle name [name_u]Dove[/name_u]). Then I turned to [name_f]Johanne[/name_f]. But something about that didn’t sit right either and I’m stressing about whether or not we’ve found “THE” name. I thought it was the [name_u]Jo[/name_u]- beginning that I liked so much, and so I looked at a few different [name_u]Jo[/name_u]- names (with your help) and none of those felt right either.

I am due in [name_u]June[/name_u], and it would be a huge relief to me to get this name thing out of the way. Some of you may remember that my other daughter’s name is [name_f]Lilith[/name_f] [name_u]Sage[/name_u]. They’re called [name_f]Nora[/name_f] and [name_f]Lily[/name_f], but the third doesn’t have to have a matching nick name (though it would be a plus).

Also… another reason I’m second guessing [name_f]Johanne[/name_f]/[name_f]Johanna[/name_f] is because I really like the look of the H, but I don’t like the pronunciation jo-HAN-uh, and I’d want to pronounce it [name_f]Joanna[/name_f] or [name_u]Jo[/name_u]-[name_f]Anne[/name_f]. What do you think of all this mess?? My husband is super low key and likes [name_f]Johanna[/name_f] slightly above [name_f]Johanne[/name_f], but is open to new suggestions as am I. Thank you all soooo much in advance. The middle name will most likely still be [name_u]Rain[/name_u].

So happy you decided on [name_u]Rain[/name_u]! It’s the perfect matching middle with [name_u]Dove[/name_u] and [name_u]Sage[/name_u]. As for the first . . . I dunno! I like [name_f]Johanna[/name_f] [name_u]Rain[/name_u] so much. I don’t mind the shared ‘a’ ending with [name_f]Honora[/name_f]. I didn’t know that the ‘h’ was pronounced at all, so to me that’s not really an issue. HOWEVER, there are like a million and one names out there so there’s bound to be “the one” just waiting to be uncovered.

Other suggestions that don’t end in ‘a’:
[name_f]Celeste[/name_f]. [name_f]Honora[/name_f], [name_f]Lilith[/name_f], and [name_f]Celeste[/name_f]. [name_f]Celeste[/name_f] [name_u]Rain[/name_u]; nn options [name_f]Cece[/name_f]: [name_f]Nora[/name_f], [name_f]Lily[/name_f], and [name_f]Cece[/name_f].
[name_u]Evelyn[/name_u]. [name_f]Honora[/name_f], [name_f]Lilith[/name_f], and [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u]. [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u] [name_u]Rain[/name_u]; nn options [name_f]Eve[/name_f]/[name_f]Evie[/name_f]: [name_f]Nora[/name_f], [name_f]Lily[/name_f], and [name_f]Eve[/name_f]
[name_f]Juliet[/name_f]. [name_f]Honora[/name_f], [name_f]Lilith[/name_f], and [name_f]Juliet[/name_f]. [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] [name_u]Rain[/name_u]; nn options [name_f]Julie[/name_f]/[name_f]Jules[/name_f]/[name_f]Jewel[/name_f]/[name_f]Lettie[/name_f]: [name_f]Nora[/name_f], [name_f]Lily[/name_f], and [name_f]Jewel[/name_f].
[name_f]Vivianne[/name_f]. [name_f]Honora[/name_f], [name_f]Lilith[/name_f], and [name_f]Vivianne[/name_f]. [name_f]Vivianne[/name_f] [name_u]Rain[/name_u]; nn options [name_f]Vivi[/name_f]: [name_f]Nora[/name_f], [name_f]Lily[/name_f], and [name_f]Vivi[/name_f].

My favorite is [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u] or [name_f]Juliet[/name_f]. Good luck :slight_smile:

I thought [name_f]Johanna[/name_f] was only pronounced like [name_f]Joanna[/name_f], actually! I think it’s an easy enough correction to make if people happen to say it wrong. [name_f]Johanna[/name_f] [name_u]Rain[/name_u] has a much better flow to me than [name_f]Johanne[/name_f] [name_u]Rain[/name_u]. And I think it’s perfectly okay to have two sisters with -a names. It doesn’t feel like a purposeful pattern, since you have [name_f]Lilith[/name_f]. My mom named me and her other kid with -y names and they’ve never seemed matchy to me even though they end in the same sound, since the names sound different otherwise. I don’t know if there are any names I can suggest since you said you looked at other [name_u]Jo[/name_u]- names already. But maybe you could consider other J names, like [name_f]Juliet[/name_f], [name_f]Jasmine[/name_f], [name_f]Janelle[/name_f], [name_u]Juniper[/name_u], [name_f]Junia[/name_f], [name_f]Juno[/name_f]?

I like [name_f]Johanna[/name_f] [name_u]Rain[/name_u] and I also pronounce it [name_f]Joanna[/name_f]. Not as into [name_f]Johanne[/name_f]–it sounds too much like my parents’ generation. I do like [name_u]Julianne[/name_u] though.

Other suggestions:
[name_f]Adele[/name_f]
[name_f]Adelaide[/name_f]
[name_f]Aurelie[/name_f]
[name_f]Cecile[/name_f]
[name_f]Celine[/name_f]
[name_f]Estelle[/name_f]
[name_f]Georgiana[/name_f]
[name_f]Jocelyn[/name_f]
[name_u]Julianne[/name_u]
[name_f]Marcella[/name_f]
[name_u]Marion[/name_u]
[name_f]Rosalind[/name_f]
[name_f]Tess[/name_f]/[name_f]Theresa[/name_f]

I pronounce them differently. [name_u]Jo[/name_u] [name_f]Hannah[/name_f] and [name_u]Jo[/name_u] [name_f]Anna[/name_f]/[name_u]Jo[/name_u] [name_f]Anne[/name_f]. I prefer [name_f]Joanna[/name_f] to [name_f]Joanne[/name_f].

Thanks everyone for your input! [name_f]Johanna[/name_f] is still on my list, and I think I do like it better than [name_f]Johanne[/name_f]. Does anyone else pronounce the H?

I like [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] as suggested by @bassilly and @stellarevolution (love your username), also [name_f]Estelle[/name_f] (@sarah1800!)

[name_m]How[/name_m] do you feel about [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] [name_u]Rain[/name_u] or [name_f]Estelle[/name_f] [name_u]Rain[/name_u] as sisters to [name_f]Honora[/name_f] and [name_f]Lilith[/name_f]–also in comparison to [name_f]Johanna[/name_f] [name_u]Rain[/name_u]? I will make a poll.