Second Guessing Name Choice

[name_f]Lilia[/name_f] is so beautiful! I absolutely LOVE it! I am in [name_u]America[/name_u], so [name_u]Avery[/name_u] is pretty common for girls. I have never met any little girls named [name_u]Avery[/name_u] personally, but it is in the top 20.

I have always loved it, but I honestly probably wouldn’t have used it if I had not found the [name_f]Averie[/name_f] spelling. It just gave it the extra little girly something that led me to agree to it.

I had a hard time with negative name associations during my pregnancy. Maybe part of why I chose it, because I had never heard of it and it seemed like it almost presented itself to me right when I needed it.

I found it so surprising that in all my searching I had not seen it until the day she was born. It gave me butterflies. It seemed like I would feel unsure no matter what, so I just went for it.

Anyway, hopefully she loves it.:heart:

1 Like

Your enthusiasm for [name_f]Averie[/name_f] is infectious and I think will definitely make your little [name_f]Averie[/name_f] appreciate and love her name. I really like [name_u]Avery[/name_u] for both genders the name does feel completely unisex and is just such a sweet name with a fun Christmassy feel through the meaning ‘ruler of the elves’ I can see why she’s in the top 20 in the states! I feel like [name_f]Averie[/name_f] elevates [name_u]Avery[/name_u] adding this sweet whimsical femininity and with this spelling being rarer feels special.

Gosh name associations suck! I love that you don’t have any associations with [name_f]Averie[/name_f] it’s precious that the only association is your gorgeous baby.

Finally thank you for your positivity regarding [name_f]Lilia[/name_f] it’s always nice to hear people being positive about her name!

Anyways good luck with everything :tada:

2 Likes

[name_u]Awesome[/name_u]! I have never met anyone with the spelling before, but I’m glad to hear you have. I like that it’s a little different, but I don’t want it to be too different lol.

Thank you for telling me that. I hope my [name_f]Averie[/name_f] loves it too!

1 Like

Thank you! I agree… people need to realize a little bit of kindness goes a long way.

I love that you used the word “ethereal” to describe the spelling. I feel the same way!

1 Like

Hey :slight_smile: firstly, try to stay calm, it’s really not worth to stress over other people’s opinions on your girl’s name because you can’t control what other people think and it only makes you feel miserable.
I think the name [name_f]Averie[/name_f] is definitely more feminine than [name_u]Avery[/name_u] and has a nice french-ish romantic touch.

1 Like

Thank you for both the advice and the compliment.:heartpulse:

Hello Berries,

Averie’s mom here :). I just wanted to offer a compliment to the parents, parents-to-be, and name lovers on this site. Everyone I have encountered here has been kind, respectful, thoughtful and eloquent, which is a lot more than I can say for most similar sites I have seen!

I reached out a little while back regarding some concerns about my daughter’s name and the responses I got made me feel so much better and helped me remember how much I love it and why I chose it in the first place.

So, a heartfelt thank you and happy holidays to all of you!

9 Likes

I prefer the [name_f]Averie[/name_f] spelling too! In fact in most cases, I prefer “ie” instead of “y” at the end of names. Google can lead you into a rabbit hole so maybe best to avoid it or only read positive things! It sounds like you have a bit of Name regret and I think it’s pretty common. We gave my daughter a name we loved, thought pronunciation was intuitive enough and had a personal meaning but then discovered after she was born that it is often misheard, misspelled and mispronounced. I have looked up every opinion on the name and at times have thought if I could go back I’d would have chosen another name. But here’s the thing, you will never find a name that everyone likes. You yourself probably cringe at some names. What has helped me is to think that while we chose the name for our daughter, that name also chose her and as she has grown up it has BECOME her.

For what it’s worth, I think [name_f]Averie[/name_f] is the prettiest out all of your names. [name_f]Abigail[/name_f] is a bit nerdy and will always be shortened to [name_u]Abby[/name_u] (but better if it’s [name_u]Abbie[/name_u] lol) and [name_f]Nora[/name_f] doesn’t have enough going on. [name_f]Averie[/name_f] surged in popularity which might be why it got some negative comments online but that doesn’t detract from the fact that it’s a really great name.

2 Likes

Wow, thank you for the lovely response! I didn’t realize that so many other people struggled with doubts about their name choices. That makes me feel a lot better too! Thank you for your kind comments about [name_f]Averie[/name_f]. I know it was the right choice because it still makes me smile so much when I see it written.:heart:

I know what you mean about the Google rabbit hole and I honestly wish I had never looked! It does make me feel a lot more normal knowing others have done the same. You are not the first poster to say this!

I wish people would choose their words with more sensitivity and kindness, but I also realize that is not something I can change or control, and I really need to accept that and move on!

I hope you and your family have a great [name_u]Christmas[/name_u] and thanks again for your response!

1 Like

[name_f]Averie[/name_f] is a beautiful name!! I think last minute changes especially can cause a little more uncertainty, but I absolutely think you made the right choice!! As someone with a unisex, 50/50 girls and boys name, I would love to have the spelling that marks my name as a girl’s name!! I think your daughter will love that you chose [name_f]Averie[/name_f]!

1 Like

there’s nothing wrong with the [name_f]Averie[/name_f] spelling! I actually prefer it :relaxed: [name_f]Averie[/name_f] [name_f]Grace[/name_f] is adorable!

1 Like

I like the name. A lot of people get ruffled feathers when it comes to unisex names and changing up spellings on traditional names. Don’t let it bother you. [name_f]Averie[/name_f] is unique and beautiful.

I myself want to name my daughter [name_m]Adlai[/name_m], which is a traditional male name. I plan to change it to [name_u]Adley[/name_u] for easier pronunciation and it looks better to me. Stick with what you feel is the best, just like me.

1 Like

Thank you! I really like the name [name_u]Adley[/name_u]. There is a little girl named [name_u]Adley[/name_u] on YouTube show my kids watch. As soon as I heard it I thought it was really cute! Best of luck with your baby girl!

1 Like

I’m in the minority here. I don’t understand misspelling a name to make it “feminine.” I’m also not a fan of the one-way trend of giving girls masculine names, but not giving boys feminine names or using feminine/unisex names that were once considered masculine but are now solely in the realm of the girls.

I don’t like the spelling.

This thread was a request for positivity and support by the original poster! And it really matters most that they prefer this spelling, and love the name they chose. No name or spelling will be universally liked by all.

6 Likes

Ouch, my post was asking for support and positivity, which this response certainly is not. It’s okay if you don’t like the name. I don’t expect everyone to like it. I do only have one thing to say. I don’t think using a less commonly used spelling is the same as misspelling a name. I didn’t make up the spelling. It is pretty widely used and recognized in the U.S. (it’s in the top 500) and is listed on almost every baby name site I have looked at as a feminine variant of the name Avery. That being said, I do realize that the history of the name is fairly new, and a lot of people may not have seen it before. I am not pointing this out to start an argument, and again, it is perfectly okay if you don’t like the name. A lot of people do like it. It really suits my beautiful daughter.

1 Like