Second Guessing our Favorite

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] friends… I made the mistake of searching our favorite boy name on another name forum, and people were really tearing it up. Many people said it is ugly and sounds like a dog name… gut punch.

I trust you all for unbiased name-nerd wisdom, so let me know what you think, or any encouragement, or similar alternatives.

Our last name is a 2-syllable B name, and big brother is [name_m]Roy[/name_m] [name_m]Daniel[/name_m] (a family name). I tend to love names that feel familiar, a little vintage, but less common.

The name is [name_m]Bridger[/name_m] [name_m]Ellis[/name_m].

Other boy names we like are [name_m]Shepherd[/name_m], [name_m]Elias[/name_m], [name_m]Clyde[/name_m], [name_m]Judah[/name_m], [name_m]Paul[/name_m].

Thanks! 🩵

1 Like

There is nothing wrong with [name_m]Bridger[/name_m]! That said, with brother [name_m]Roy[/name_m], my personal preference would be [name_m]Clyde[/name_m], or using [name_m]Ellis[/name_m] as a first name. But use the name you love!

1 Like

[name_m]Bridger[/name_m] is cool - it’s got those edgy, surname-y vibes and sounds kind of rugged but smart too. It’s contemporary and unexpected, which is probably what makes it divisive - some people might just not like that style of name :person_shrugging: but with names like [name_m]Brooks[/name_m], [name_m]Lennox[/name_m], [name_m]Walker[/name_m], [name_m]Colton[/name_m], [name_m]Riggs[/name_m], and [name_m]Trace[/name_m] being used, it doesn’t seem out of place.

Some similar alternatives:

[name_m]Rigby[/name_m]
[name_m]Ledger[/name_m]
[name_m]Dawson[/name_m]
[name_m]Byron[/name_m]
[name_m]Beckett[/name_m]
[name_m]Iker[/name_m]
[name_m]Sterling[/name_m]
[name_m]Rhett[/name_m]
[name_m]Brody[/name_m]
[name_m]Colter[/name_m]
[name_m]Denver[/name_m]

2 Likes

Thank you! That already helps me a lot.

[name_m]Bridger[/name_m] [name_m]Ellis[/name_m] is a great name! [name_m]Shepherd[/name_m], [name_m]Elias[/name_m], [name_m]Clyde[/name_m], [name_m]Judah[/name_m], and [name_m]Paul[/name_m] are all amazing too! If you love [name_m]Bridger[/name_m] [name_m]Ellis[/name_m] for sure use it!

Sorry I’m not adding other names, I already think it’s a great one.

2 Likes

I like it and don’t think it sounds like a dog name at all (though, if it is, my nephew is [name_m]Rufus[/name_m], and absolutely owns this “dog name”!).

[name_f]My[/name_f] pause for thought is more about the BB name. I like alliteration but it can be quite intense and jazz-hands /showbiz. I also agree with above that as far as pairings go, [name_m]Clyde[/name_m] or [name_m]Ellis[/name_m] seem to fit better with [name_m]Roy[/name_m]. But they both have that cosy, honey toned, modern cowboy feel and if [name_m]Bridger[/name_m] sings to your heart the loudest, go for it!

1 Like

I agree that I’d use [name_m]Clyde[/name_m] or [name_m]Ellis[/name_m] as first names with a [name_m]Roy[/name_m]. [name_m]Bridger[/name_m] feels like a more contemporary name which might be why people are less fond of it. That being said, if you like a name, go for it- don’t let anyone stop you!

2 Likes

I really like [name_m]Bridger[/name_m]. Yes, it is a different style from [name_m]Roy[/name_m] but [name_m]Roy[/name_m] is a family name so that is to be expected. Please go with what you love.:heartpulse:The flow of sibling names shouldn’t be the first priority, but choosing the name you love the most should be. He will be known as [name_m]Bridger[/name_m] (last name) and keep in mind that each child is an individual and will eventually be adults living separately.

1 Like

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with [name_m]Bridger[/name_m]! I think it’s a really cool name and has that kind of vintage but less common vibe you like! I love [name_m]Bridger[/name_m] paired with [name_m]Ellis[/name_m] too.

From your other boy names you like I’m really loving [name_m]Shepherd[/name_m] and [name_m]Elias[/name_m] as well!

1 Like

I loveeeee [name_m]Bridger[/name_m] !!! I’m so sad to hear it’s hated on because it’s also on my name list

[name_m]Bridger[/name_m] [name_m]Ellis[/name_m] sounds great together too!!! (strong and soft - traditional but uncommon). [name_m]Roy[/name_m] and [name_m]Bridger[/name_m] are also sweet together for siblings

Unless your last name is [name_m]Bridge[/name_m] or [name_m]Bridger[/name_m] making your kid [name_m]Bridger[/name_m] [name_m]Bridge[/name_m] or [name_m]Bridger[/name_m] [name_m]Bridger[/name_m] then I wouldn’t stop from using the name!

[name_f]Remember[/name_f] too that any name no matter how loved has someone in the world who hates it. I don’t think there’s any one name that is loved by absolutely everyone, even the most common of names. All that matters is that you love the name and you’re not naming your kid something with an extremely negative connotation !!!

1 Like

I think [name_m]Bridger[/name_m] is just fine! I echo what’s been said - it fits with contemporary styles and has a unique ring to it. Go for it!

1 Like

You guys… :face_holding_back_tears::sob: Thank you for your encouragement! It means the world and makes me feel like I’m not a crazy person haha.

Also love your other suggestions! [name_m]Roy[/name_m] was my husband’s grandfather, and [name_m]Clyde[/name_m] was mine so that feels a little too theme-y for me for a first name, at least.

[name_m]Ellis[/name_m] for a first name is definitely handsome. We have a cousin [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] though, so I feel like it’s a little too similar. Maybe not!

1 Like

I love [name_m]Bridger[/name_m]! Go for it!

It’s so [name_f]Wyoming[/name_f] to me with the [name_m]Bridger[/name_m] [name_m]Teton[/name_m] National [name_m]Park[/name_m] after [name_m]Jim[/name_m] [name_m]Bridger[/name_m]. It has always been a name on our list after spending time there, so beautiful.

1 Like

I’m so sorry you’ve had such negative reactions. Your love for the name as parents is what matters. All that matters. I’m so sorry to hear these sadnesses!

I have a lot of cousins, and the youngest is Bridger. He’s now five years old. He’s sharp and funny, cuddly and unafraid to pain his nails pink. His name, admittedly, wasn’t my favorite at first. Not my style, not my usual pick. But it’s him. And now, when I hear the name, I think of that wonderful boy I know and love so much. Eventually, no matter what name you give your son, it will become “the name of that boy we love” to people in your lives who care for you, your kids, your family. As long as you love that name, it’s good!!!

Also—I love the stylistic mismatch of Roy with Bridger. They’re so unexpected and good together! Really lively.

2 Likes

I love it! it’s on my list too. People are just mean online. I thought I’d get some negative comments on my son’s name but in real life I’ve just gotten positive comments and a few hmmmm sounds.

1 Like

[name_m]Roy[/name_m] and [name_m]Bridger[/name_m] give me fantastic vintage cowboy vibes. Great brother names!

2 Likes

Yes! We love the reference to [name_m]Jim[/name_m] [name_m]Bridger[/name_m] and the mountain range, too.

1 Like

I don’t think “Bridger” sounds like a name for a dog - I have never heard of a dog having a modern surname name. As for “ugly”, that’s an opinion, and people like different sounds and styles so you can’t really hope to please everyone with that.

The only thing I would say about [name_m]Bridger[/name_m] is that if your last name is also 2 syllables and starting with B, the full name might sound kind of repetitive. Without knowing the full last name I can’t make a full judgement on that though, maybe in your particular case it sounds fine.

Personally, my favorite name on your list is [name_m]Elias[/name_m], and I think [name_m]Clyde[/name_m] goes best with [name_m]Roy[/name_m]. But there are no bad options listed here.

Good luck choosing a name!

I think all the names you came up with are great. The only one I think I’d stay away from would be [name_m]Paul[/name_m], but that might just be personal preference.

If you love [name_m]Bridger[/name_m], go for it!
[name_f]My[/name_f] next favorite of your list would be [name_m]Judah[/name_m].

1 Like

I think [name_m]Bridger[/name_m] is lovely and matches his brothers name great :sunny: I definitely don’t think it’s a dog name! I remember many years ago I stumbled on this Reddit topic about the ugliest names and one person had listed my name, a longer version of mother’s name and two names really similar to my sisters names! :joy::joy: I just laughed and laughed! [name_f]My[/name_f] name [name_f]Gretchen[/name_f] was in the top 5 ugliest name :joy: But ya, people are bound to have opinions. I think you should definitely use the name you have planned, I think it’s very handsome :blush:

2 Likes