Second Name is Easy, But What About the First?

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] Berries,

I can’t decide on a name for my baby boy! His second name will be [name_u]James[/name_u], for his Daddy; that is set in stone. The first names (and abbr. versions of those names) we’ve been tossing around for months are:

[name_m]Zachary[/name_m] - ([name_m]Zac[/name_m])
[name_m]Alexander[/name_m] - ([name_m]Alec[/name_m])
[name_m]William[/name_m] - ([name_m]Will[/name_m])
[name_m]Calum[/name_m] - ([name_u]Cal[/name_u])

We like them all! Any thoughts?

I’m partial to [name_m]Alexander[/name_m]–and I love nn [name_m]Alec[/name_m]!

They’re all solid choices. [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] and [name_m]William[/name_m] are classics but they’re also Top 10 in the US. [name_m]Zachary[/name_m] and [name_m]Callum[/name_m] are a bit less classic and less common. I love all the nns. If popularity matters to you, maybe try hanging out at a playground or kid-friendly spot or poll your parent friends who live in the area. [name_m]Callum[/name_m] in particular has really taken off where I am in the last year or so, but there are a lot of UK ex-pats here.

I don’t think you can go wrong. Maybe wait to meet him?

If popularity doesn’t matter to you, then I think [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] [name_u]James[/name_u] is a lovely, classic boys name. I like the combo [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m] [name_u]James[/name_u] ([name_m]Seb[/name_m]) too.

I know an [name_m]Alec[/name_m] who hates when people call him [name_u]Alex[/name_u]. If you like the name [name_m]Alec[/name_m], I think you should just go with that, it’s a little more unique then [name_m]Alexander[/name_m], and sounds cute with your middle, [name_m]Alec[/name_m] [name_u]James[/name_u]. I think this ones my favorite from your list!

I looove the nn cal, but the full name doesn’t jive as much as I’d like.

[name_m]Calvin[/name_m] [name_u]James[/name_u]?

I agree with the [name_m]Alexander[/name_m]/[name_m]Alec[/name_m] comment - [name_m]Alec[/name_m] [name_u]James[/name_u] if you are going to call him [name_m]Alec[/name_m].

[name_m]Alec[/name_m] and [name_m]Callum[/name_m] are my favorites but I think [name_m]Callum[/name_m] [name_u]James[/name_u] is kind of hard to say. It could just be me.

I vote for [name_m]Zachary[/name_m] (my husbands name so I love it) or [name_m]Callum[/name_m]!

[name_m]Zachary[/name_m] and [name_m]Callum[/name_m] are my favs!

My favorite first name and nickname are [name_m]Calum[/name_m] and [name_u]Cal[/name_u]. I have a less classic style though. All strong names. But my vote goes to [name_m]Calum[/name_m] [name_u]James[/name_u]! Super handsome, less common, not dull, and best meaning, imo. dove=peace. :slight_smile:

I like [name_m]Calum[/name_m] the best of your list and the nickname [name_u]Cal[/name_u] is so cool and dapper. I think the rest of your choices are nice and nothing wrong with them - but a little underwhelming, especially when combined with [name_u]James[/name_u] because [name_u]James[/name_u] is such a common name.

Sounds like you like traditional, masculine names with an English/Irish edge. If you’re open to suggestions, I’d throw out the following:

[name_m]Ronan[/name_m]
[name_m]Caleb[/name_m]
[name_m]Walter[/name_m]
[name_m]Lewis[/name_m]
[name_m]Edmund[/name_m]
[name_m]Gilbert[/name_m] (nn [name_m]Gil[/name_m])
[name_m]Roland[/name_m]

I also second [name_m]Alec[/name_m] as an alternative to [name_u]Alex[/name_u] that is more exciting and fresh!