Seeking advice

We are expecting our 3rd girl in [name_u]December[/name_u].

Our daughters are [name_f]Melodie[/name_f] [name_f]Caroline[/name_f] and [name_f]Natalie[/name_f] [name_f]Capri[/name_f]. [name_f]Melodie[/name_f] was chosen while we were dating…long before the notion of kids. And [name_f]Natalie[/name_f] was a compromise bc we like the nickname we call her by, [name_u]Tallie[/name_u]. ([name_f]Capri[/name_f] is after the song by [name_u]Colbie[/name_u] Caillat.)

Anyhow my husband and I almost never settled on a name for [name_f]Natalie[/name_f]. And we are at it again.

My mom was recently very ill and I’d love to name our girl after her: [name_f]Paula[/name_f] (middle name [name_u]Jo[/name_u]). But my husband finds this too old-fashioned. His top picks are [name_f]Sophia[/name_f] and [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] (top 2 popular names!!) We have also recently established that we both like the name [name_f]Zoie[/name_f]. But I am still holding on for [name_f]Paula[/name_f] (and he won’t even go for this as a middle name). Mom is sometimes called PJ, so that’s another possible route.

Here are other names that I like…for the record. (Of course I would like to pair almost any of these names with [name_f]Paula[/name_f] as a middle name.) [name_f]Julia[/name_f], [name_f]Trinity[/name_f], [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f], [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f], [name_f]Maisy[/name_f], [name_f]Janie[/name_f]

My husband is stuck on [name_f]Grace[/name_f] as a middle name but I have gotten him to consider “[name_f]Noelle[/name_f]” as the due date is near [name_u]Christmas[/name_u]. I also like “[name_u]Jean[/name_u]” as a middle name after my aunt.

I love names with a good meaning and that have different nicknames and iterations. Ie: [name_f]Julia[/name_f], [name_u]Julie[/name_u], [name_u]Jules[/name_u]…

Thanks in advance for any insights and advice!

[name_u]Lindsay[/name_u]

I don’t think [name_f]Paula[/name_f] [name_u]Jo[/name_u] is old-fashioned, more so… dated. But, honouring your mother would be a lovely thing to do. [name_f]Sophia[/name_f] and [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] are very popular, so if you’re not one for super common names, I’d take these two off the table now. [name_f]Zoie[/name_f] is also very sweet, and I adore this spelling! [name_f]Zoie[/name_f] [name_f]Paula[/name_f] would be lovely, as would [name_f]Zoie[/name_f] [name_f]Noelle[/name_f] and [name_f]Zoie[/name_f] [name_u]Jean[/name_u] (my favourite being [name_f]Zoie[/name_f] [name_u]Jean[/name_u]).

My favourites from your list would be [name_f]Trinity[/name_f] and [name_f]Maisy[/name_f]. [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] is also very cute. I think [name_f]Maisy[/name_f] [name_f]Paula[/name_f] and [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] [name_f]Paula[/name_f] sound great, but [name_f]Trinity[/name_f] [name_f]Paula[/name_f] sounds a bit odd. If you went with this, you’d probably want to go with [name_f]Grace[/name_f], [name_u]Jean[/name_u] or [name_f]Noelle[/name_f] as a mn.

Another way you could honour your mother is by using a variant of [name_f]Paula[/name_f]/names similar to [name_f]Paula[/name_f]. I can’t think of any right now, but it can’t be that hard to find one. Another option you have is using a name meaning the same thing as [name_f]Paula[/name_f], which I believe means ‘small’ or ‘humble’.

Anyhow, I hope my rambling was of some assistance. Good luck!

What about [name_f]Paulina[/name_f] or [name_f]Pauline[/name_f]? I think it sounds wonderful next to [name_f]Melodie[/name_f] and [name_f]Natalie[/name_f]. :slight_smile:

Would you consider using a variation of [name_u]Jo[/name_u]? Or is that not a direct enough honour… There are so many beautiful [name_u]Jo[/name_u] names- [name_f]Joanna[/name_f], [name_f]Johanna[/name_f], [name_f]Jolie[/name_f], [name_f]Josephine[/name_f], [name_u]Josie[/name_u]. You could use one as a first name with the nickname [name_u]Jo[/name_u] even.

If you were open to using the initials PJ-
[name_u]Paisley[/name_u] [name_f]Julia[/name_f]
[name_f]Paloma[/name_f] [name_u]Jean[/name_u]
[name_f]Perla[/name_f] [name_f]Josephine[/name_f]
[name_f]Phoebe[/name_f] [name_f]Julia[/name_f]
[name_u]Payton[/name_u] [name_f]Julia[/name_f]
[name_f]Patience[/name_f] [name_f]Jolie[/name_f]
[name_f]Penelope[/name_f] [name_u]Jo[/name_u]
[name_u]Piper[/name_u] [name_u]Jean[/name_u]

I really like the name [name_f]Trinity[/name_f] too! [name_f]Trinity[/name_f] [name_u]Jo[/name_u], [name_f]Trinity[/name_f] [name_f]Noelle[/name_f] and [name_f]Trinity[/name_f] [name_u]Jean[/name_u] are all so lovely.

All the best with your decision!

I think [name_f]Paula[/name_f] would work well in the middle of a number of your options, especially [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] [name_f]Paula[/name_f], [name_f]Maisy[/name_f] [name_f]Paula[/name_f] and [name_f]Zoie[/name_f] [name_f]Paula[/name_f].

I think [name_f]Paulette[/name_f] would be lovely as either a first or middle - and sounds fresh, not dated, to me. Also [name_m]Paulie[/name_m] or [name_m]Pauley[/name_m] is very cute - see actress [name_m]Pauley[/name_m] [name_f]Perrette[/name_f].

[name_f]Julia[/name_f] [name_f]Paulette[/name_f], [name_f]Julia[/name_f] [name_m]Paulie[/name_m]/ [name_m]Pauley[/name_m], [name_f]Zoie[/name_f] or [name_f]Maisy[/name_f] [name_f]Paulette[/name_f]. [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f] [name_f]Paulette[/name_f].
[name_f]Paulette[/name_f] [name_u]Jean[/name_u], [name_m]Paulie[/name_m] [name_u]Jean[/name_u], [name_m]Paulie[/name_m] [name_f]Noelle[/name_f].

Lots of lovely first name options on your list, however my favourites with your other girls are [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f], [name_f]Julia[/name_f] and [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f]. They would go perfectly.

I love and would suggest as @luneth had done. [name_f]Paulina[/name_f] especially - As long as that is close enough to [name_f]Paula[/name_f] for you.
Good luck.

[name_u]Lane[/name_u] means “a small road or pathway” and [name_f]Paula[/name_f] means “small”. I think that would be sweet. [name_u]Lane[/name_u] [name_f]Noelle[/name_f] is also gorgeous.

I like [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] best from your list and I think it fits best with your request for multiple nn iterations ([name_f]Gen[/name_f], [name_f]Genny[/name_f], [name_f]Ginny[/name_f], [name_f]Eve[/name_f], [name_f]Evie[/name_f]). However I don’t think it sounds good with [name_f]Paula[/name_f] in the middle or even [name_u]Jo[/name_u].

I was thinking about [name_f]Polly[/name_f]. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you think [name_f]Polly[/name_f] is close enough to [name_f]Paula[/name_f] to make you happy? You could use [name_f]Polly[/name_f] as nickname.

My idea was [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] [name_u]Jo[/name_u]. It incorporates the PJ and [name_u]Jo[/name_u] and could use the nickname [name_f]Polly[/name_f], [name_f]Polly[/name_f] [name_u]Jo[/name_u] or PJ to include your mom any more. It also has many other potential nicknames ([name_u]Penny[/name_u], [name_u]Pen[/name_u], [name_f]Nell[/name_f], [name_f]Poppy[/name_f]). [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] is also a fairly popular name (without being top 10), so maybe your husband will like it?

On another note, [name_f]Noelle[/name_f] is a little too much since in my opinion, since you already have a daughter ([name_f]Natalie[/name_f]) whose name is [name_u]Christmas[/name_u] themed. Of course it would be in the middle so its not a big deal, just a thought I had.

There are lots of good suggestions here. My first thought for you was [name_f]Paloma[/name_f], which has already been suggested, because it sounds nice with the sister names. I also think [name_f]Zoie[/name_f] [name_f]Paula[/name_f] or [name_f]Zoie[/name_f] [name_f]Pauline[/name_f] would be lovely. If you are going for PJ, maybe [name_f]Paloma[/name_f] [name_u]June[/name_u] or [name_f]Paloma[/name_f] [name_f]Joy[/name_f]? [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] and [name_f]Poppy[/name_f] also sound with with the sibset.

You all are the best!! I can’t wait to think about all of the ideas you took the time to share. Thank you!!

If you cannot settle with one, chose the names that you both like. Naming a child has been an issue to me and my husband because I always chose what I wanted. So what I did is I just followed their first name from is first name.

My husband’s name is [name_u]Dean[/name_u] [name_u]Francis[/name_u] so our daugthers are [name_f]Deanne[/name_f] Carlisne and [name_f]Deanne[/name_f] Catniss.

[name_u]Julie[/name_u] was my first thought with your girls’ names. Have you considered [name_u]Jo[/name_u] as a middle name instead of [name_f]Paula[/name_f]? I think that would be adorable.

I’d dig my heels in and insist on [name_f]Paula[/name_f] or a variation omtbereif, like [name_f]Paola[/name_f], [name_f]Paulette[/name_f], [name_f]Paulina[/name_f] etc Names that honour people are much more important than a name picked randomly because you like the sound of it.
You can always use [name_f]Polly[/name_f] as a nickname.
[name_f]Polly[/name_f] is sweet.
Or what about [name_f]Polly[/name_f] [name_u]Jean[/name_u]. Or [name_f]Polly[/name_f]-[name_u]Jean[/name_u]. I love this combo (PJ [name_m]Harvey[/name_m] is [name_f]Polly[/name_f] [name_u]Jean[/name_u])

Some ideas that incorpprate [name_f]Paula[/name_f] and/or [name_u]Jo[/name_u]:
[name_f]Sophia[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f]
[name_f]Olivia[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f]
[name_f]Olivia[/name_f] [name_u]Jean[/name_u]
[name_f]Paula[/name_f] [name_f]Grace[/name_f]
[name_f]Paulina[/name_f] [name_f]Grace[/name_f]
[name_f]Josephine[/name_f] [name_f]Paulette[/name_f]
[name_f]Johanna[/name_f] [name_f]Pauline[/name_f]
[name_f]Jane[/name_f] Paulette
[name_f]Zoie[/name_f] [name_f]Paulette[/name_f]
[name_f]Zoie[/name_f] [name_f]Paula[/name_f]
[name_f]Zoie[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f]
[name_f]Sophia[/name_f] [name_f]Pauline[/name_f]
[name_f]Sophia[/name_f] [name_f]Paulette[/name_f]
[name_f]Olivia[/name_f] [name_f]Paulette[/name_f]
[name_f]Sophia[/name_f] [name_f]Josette[/name_f]
[name_f]Sophia[/name_f] [name_u]Joan[/name_u]
[name_f]Jane[/name_f] [name_f]Olivia[/name_f]
[name_f]Olivia[/name_f] [name_f]Josephine[/name_f]
[name_f]Olivia[/name_f] [name_f]Josette[/name_f]
[name_f]Pauline[/name_f] [name_f]Sophia[/name_f]
[name_f]Paulette[/name_f] [name_f]Olivia[/name_f]
[name_f]Josette[/name_f] [name_f]Olivia[/name_f]
[name_f]Josephine[/name_f] [name_f]Olivia[/name_f]

If your husband finds [name_f]Paula[/name_f] old-fashioned, perhaps a nickname might help? [name_f]Polly[/name_f] is traditionally a nickname for [name_f]Mary[/name_f], but I know an adult [name_f]Paula[/name_f] who goes by [name_f]Polly[/name_f] (I see this has already been suggested). [name_f]Lettie[/name_f] makes a sweet nickname for [name_f]Paulette[/name_f], and [name_f]Pauline[/name_f]/[name_f]Paulina[/name_f] could go by [name_f]Lina[/name_f]. [name_f]Josephine[/name_f]/[name_f]Josette[/name_f] could go by [name_u]Josie[/name_u], [name_f]Posy[/name_f] or [name_u]Joss[/name_u], and [name_f]Johanna[/name_f]/[name_f]Joanna[/name_f]/[name_f]Joanne[/name_f]/[name_u]Joan[/name_u] could go by [name_f]Joanie[/name_f]/[name_f]Joni[/name_f].

[name_f]Jane[/name_f]/[name_f]Janie[/name_f], [name_u]Jean[/name_u] and [name_u]Joan[/name_u]/[name_f]Joanna[/name_f]/[name_f]Johanna[/name_f] are all feminine versions of [name_m]John[/name_m]. If you can bring your husband around on one of those names, it might be a nice way to honour [name_u]Jean[/name_u] and [name_f]Paula[/name_f] (via [name_u]Jo[/name_u]).

Good luck with the decision.

[name_f]Gracie[/name_f],Caula,rhymes with [name_f]Paula[/name_f],Caulene,Caulane or Caulaine,[name_f]Sophie[/name_f],[name_u]Josie[/name_u],Jozie,[name_f]Jeanie[/name_f],Jocie,[name_f]Jonie[/name_f] or [name_f]Joanie[/name_f],[name_u]Joan[/name_u] or [name_f]Joanie[/name_f] combines [name_u]Jo[/name_u] and [name_u]Jean[/name_u]. [name_f]Marie[/name_f] [name_f]Christa[/name_f],[name_u]Christy[/name_u],[name_f]Christyn[/name_f],[name_f]Christal[/name_f],[name_f]Chrissa[/name_f],[name_f]Jovie[/name_f],[name_f]Cosette[/name_f] has very similar meaning as [name_f]Paula[/name_f],[name_f]Mitzie[/name_f] has very similar meaning as [name_f]Paula[/name_f]. Paulomie pronounced paul-lo-me. [name_f]Zoie[/name_f] Caulean.this has part of [name_f]Paula[/name_f] and part of [name_u]Jean[/name_u]. [name_f]Merrie[/name_f] [name_f]Christan[/name_f].,Ivy or Ivie, . …I like the ie at the end of each name and middle name with C.

[name_f]Do[/name_f] you call your daughters by their middle names, if they both have the same first name?