Seeking In-Depth Feedback (current top 5)

We have given up on having two middle names for the time being. So I’m needing more in-depth feedback on our favorite firsts since we pretty much have a set list of possibilities for middles for honors at the moment, so it really narrows the field by a lot in both excellent and awful ways (three will be our last, so that feels hugely limiting!!)

This is my usual wordy post. TLDR - [name_m]Skip[/name_m] straight to the feedback if you so wish.

[details=“[name_f]Minerva[/name_f]”]
“[name_f]Minna[/name_f]” or “[name_f]Nim[/name_f]”

Back when we were dating, this was one of the first girl names my now husband and I wholeheartedly agreed on. We still love it. We now feel it fits completely with our two boys. The goddess is badass. Mcgonagall is a perfect bonus, both for widening the recognizability and for being awesome in almost every way. Plus, I think this association actually aids in keeping the popularity down? If it makes any difference, I think our biological child looks the part (In spite of “grey-eyed [name_f]Athena[/name_f]” and [name_f]Maggie[/name_f] [name_m]Smith[/name_m], I think the adjacency to [name_u]Merle[/name_u], [name_u]Raven[/name_u], and [name_f]Morwenna[/name_f] gives me black hair, dark eyes, light skin in imagery). I love the sounds and the “nerve” doesn’t bother me. I love the “of the mind, intellect” meaning, even if the etymology is uncertain. Really the only con is that I don’t like the sound in [name_u]French[/name_u] (at home with kids I speak [name_u]French[/name_u] and Japanese exclusively – and ça m’énerve), but there are plenty of other things I could call her and this wouldn’t ultimately be a problem.
[/details]

[name_f]Minerva[/name_f] [name_u]Jule[/name_u] is the frontrunner
[name_f]Minerva[/name_f] Geneviève (this was the “backup if we chicken out” option for our first when I was pregnant and team green. Because it was our safe back pocket option it wound up feeling way too basic. I do love it but am afraid I will never be head-over-heels for it)
[name_f]Minerva[/name_f] [name_f]Marigold[/name_f]
[name_f]Minerva[/name_f] [name_f]Elin[/name_f]
[name_f]Minerva[/name_f] Margali
[name_f]Minerva[/name_f] [name_f]Mabli[/name_f] (DH has never been set on this)

[details=“[name_f]Persephone[/name_f]”]
“[name_f]Effie[/name_f]” or “[name_f]Perle[/name_f]”

[name_f]My[/name_f] partner would name her this in a heartbeat. I love the underworld connection, all her mythology particularly in conversation with her brothers’ names (@jonquils). I love “[name_f]Effie[/name_f]” as a nickname possibility. [name_f]My[/name_f] main complaint is that if it is possible for such a not-basic name to feel basic, that’s where I am. I also don’t love the Greek meaning, related to “destroy” and “murder.” I mean, I know she reigns the underworld and seasons and I’m all for end-of-season detritus composting in my garden, but compared to the meanings of our other two, and HF in particular, this feels so dark. Another downside being the dreaded “Purse-a-phone” butchering of the pronunciation, but whatevs… she deal.
[/details]

[name_f]Persephone[/name_f] [name_u]Jule[/name_u], “[name_f]Perle[/name_f]”
[name_f]Persephone[/name_f] [name_f]Elin[/name_f]
[name_f]Persephone[/name_f] [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] (this would clearly honor my mom’s very best friend when I was growing up, my modern dance teacher, St3phanie [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f], [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] being her surname)
[name_f]Persephone[/name_f] [name_f]Aster[/name_f]
[name_f]Persephone[/name_f] [name_f]Appoline[/name_f]

[details=“[name_f]Proserpina[/name_f]”]
[pro-SAER-pee-na]
“[name_f]Nina[/name_f]” or “[name_u]Pippin[/name_u]” (plenty of other options, too)

Takes away all my complaints about [name_f]Persephone[/name_f] but leaves all the good. I prefer the sound of [name_f]Proserpina[/name_f]. [name_f]My[/name_f] intro to the mythology was through [name_m]Ovid[/name_m] so this also feels more familiar to me, even though I know as a name it is by far the opposite sentiment. The word feels powerful and also prickly. Reminds me of the spines/thorns of a rosy bramble. I prefer the latinized meaning, “to emerge, to creep forth” which feels much lighter, but still has that powerful seasonal edge to it. Again… she would look the part! Of course it feels more “pretentious.” And just so rare as a name as to feel completely obscure and overly cerebral.
[/details]

[name_f]Proserpina[/name_f] [name_u]Jule[/name_u]
[name_f]Proserpina[/name_f] [name_f]Elinor[/name_f]
[name_f]Proserpina[/name_f] [name_f]Aster[/name_f]
[name_f]Proserpina[/name_f] [name_f]Astrid[/name_f]
[name_f]Proserpina[/name_f] [name_f]Marigold[/name_f]

[details=“[name_f]Cassiopeia[/name_f]”]
“[name_f]Pia[/name_f]” or “[name_m]Chip[/name_m]”

She was the number one contender for a sister of [name_f]Chrysanthemum[/name_f], I’ll tell you that. I do love it. It feels so spunk and spark with our last name (one syllable beginning in K). I love the -io in relation to her brothers. I prefer pay-uh, but pee-uh doesn’t bother me one bit. I’m ok with [name_f]Cassie[/name_f] and [name_f]Pia[/name_f] but they feel somehow uninspired to me but I can’t figure anything I like better. [name_f]My[/name_f] main hesitation is with meaning and mythology. Like… she’s not that great. [name_m]Just[/name_m] kinda meh. Vanity and narcissism are not the greatest virtues. The constellation aspect I like, particularly here in the section of Northern Hemisphere where we can see her all year. On paper she is great. As a name, the sounds are all there. She does fit so well with her brothers. I’m just not 100%.
[/details]

[name_f]Cassiopeia[/name_f] [name_u]Jule[/name_u]
[name_f]Cassiopeia[/name_f] [name_f]Nell[/name_f]
[name_f]Cassiopeia[/name_f] Hélène
[name_f]Cassiopeia[/name_f] [name_f]Pearl[/name_f]
[name_f]Cassiopeia[/name_f] [name_f]Astrid[/name_f] (too starry?)

**Olympias**

“[name_f]Plum[/name_f]”

So. I love [name_f]Olympe[/name_f]. [name_f]My[/name_f] partner doesn’t but he does love [name_f]Olympia[/name_f]. I like [name_f]Olympia[/name_f] but thought it was too close to [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] to be set on considering that all [name_f]Olivia[/name_f]-adjacents are poised to rise. The “limp” doesn’t hold her back for me as the athletic and powerful imagery of [name_f]Olympia[/name_f] easily balances things out. We have a thing about 4 years in our family life (more on this later if she remains a top pick). An [name_f]Olympiad[/name_f] is definitely a coincidental unit of measurement in our family life, including when number 2 happened to serendipitously arrive so I could see the name really being a draw if this one is born next year, (particularly within a certain time frame – corresponding boy choice being [name_m]Endymion[/name_m]). [name_f]My[/name_f] partner just heard an episode of the Hardcore [name_m]History[/name_m]: Addendum podcast about [name_f]Queen[/name_f] Olympias and now he is obsessed and followed it up reading [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] [name_m]Carney[/name_m]'s biography of her. He has been talking about how awesome she was and how much power she held and wielded as she wished and what an underappreciated historical figure she was. So now I’m thinking Olympias would be a better name pick than [name_f]Olympia[/name_f]? I think it would fit nicely and make [name_f]Olympia[/name_f] just that little bit less basic, a little less [name_f]Olivia[/name_f], and a bit more commanding next to H and A. What do you think?

Olympias [name_f]Helen[/name_f]
Olympias [name_f]Helena[/name_f]
Olympias [name_u]Jule[/name_u]
Olympias [name_f]Hermione[/name_f]
Olympias [name_f]Appoline[/name_f]
Olympias [name_u]Honor[/name_u]
Olympias [name_f]Honora[/name_f]
Olympias [name_f]Aster[/name_f]
Olympias [name_f]Elinor[/name_f]
Olympias [name_f]Opal[/name_f]
Olympias [name_f]Marigold[/name_f]
Olympias Margali

Others high in consideration, but my husband is only 80% on board:
[name_f]Calliope[/name_f], “[name_f]Poppy[/name_f]”
[name_m]Calixto[/name_m]
[name_f]Esmeralda[/name_f], “[name_f]Zazie[/name_f]” and “[name_f]Zelda[/name_f]”
[name_f]Rosamund[/name_f]
[name_f]Rosmerta[/name_f]
[name_f]Maxima[/name_f]
[name_f]Octavia[/name_f], “[name_f]Vita[/name_f]”
[name_f]Cosima[/name_f] [CAUSE-im-a, very close to [name_m]Cosmo[/name_m]/Cosmos, but with the slightest breath of an i before the ma ending, COSS-im-a doesn’t bother us, but co-SEEM-a does], “[name_f]Cosette[/name_f]”

[name_m]Can[/name_m]'t wait to hear all your input, feedback, imagery, associations, reservations, all of it! Thanks, Berries!!! :green_heart:

1 Like

[name_f]Minerva[/name_f]: I’m not a huge fan of [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] but I like [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] [name_u]June[/name_u] and [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] Geneviève, and it certainly has great nn potential.

[name_f]Persephone[/name_f]: [name_u]Love[/name_u] this! It feels like a modern version of [name_f]Stephanie[/name_f] with a fabulous mythical flair! I don’t think you need to worry about the “Purse-a-phone” pronunciation; it’s easily corrected, and I do think this name is becoming more common. I love [name_f]Persephone[/name_f] [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] and [name_f]Persephone[/name_f] [name_f]Aster[/name_f]!

[name_f]Proserpina[/name_f]: Somehow, this name feels like more of a mouthful than [name_f]Persephone[/name_f], but that’s probably just me. I like the nn [name_f]Nina[/name_f], though!

[name_f]Cassiopeia[/name_f]: Gorgeous! I love [name_f]Pia[/name_f]; I don’t think it’s uninspired. I love the starry sound of this name, it’s somehow beautifully modern and ancient at the same time! I love all of the mns you have, and I don’t think [name_f]Cassiopeia[/name_f] [name_f]Astrid[/name_f] is too starry at all.

Olympias: For no particular reason, I’ve never been a huge fan of [name_f]Olympe[/name_f]/[name_f]Olympia[/name_f]/Olympias but I certainly understand the appeal. I know you said “limp” doesn’t hold you back, but it sounds very prominent to me, and I always think of how it rhymes with blimp. I do love the mns you chose though, especially [name_f]Honora[/name_f] and [name_u]Honor[/name_u], so definitely go with it if you love it!

From your other list, I love:
[name_f]Calliope[/name_f]
[name_m]Calixto[/name_m]
[name_f]Rosamund[/name_f]
[name_f]Cosima[/name_f]… and I love, love, love [name_f]Octavia[/name_f]. ([name_f]Vita[/name_f] is such a creative and lovely nn too!)

[name_f]Do[/name_f] you like [name_f]Andromeda[/name_f]? It reminds me of [name_f]Cassiopeia[/name_f] in that it sounds very “space-y” and it seems similar to your theme.

1 Like

I love your depth of thought when it comes to names!
[name_f]Minerva[/name_f]- I love this. I totally agree with your associations with it, and really like the nicknames [name_f]Minna[/name_f] and [name_f]Nim[/name_f]. What about the nickname [name_u]Min[/name_u]? That sounds super nice to me. I have no idea how it’s pronounced in [name_u]French[/name_u], though, but in [name_f]English[/name_f] it’s great! I also love the meaning, and it conjures images of someone really intelligent and thoughtful. I like [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] [name_u]Jule[/name_u], but I have to say, [name_u]Jule[/name_u] is like [name_f]Juul[/name_f], which I REALLY don’t think is a positive association. [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] is really pretty, but if you aren’t head over heels for it, then don’t do it (the phrase head over heels doesn’t make sense to me… your head is already over your heels :joy:) I’m not a huge fan of name alliteration, even though I love [name_f]Marigold[/name_f], and the name [name_f]Elin[/name_f] just seems so basic to me. What about [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] [name_f]Juliet[/name_f]?
[name_f]Persephone[/name_f]- this name is also really nice, though I like [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] better. I hate the nickname [name_f]Effie[/name_f], though, and don’t like [name_f]Perle[/name_f]. It does fit in with the brother names, but I wouldn’t want to always have to be called such a long name, and don’t like the nicknames, so this maybe isn’t my favorite. But I love the middle name [name_f]Aster[/name_f]!
[name_f]Proserpina[/name_f]- I don’t know if this is just me, but I just can’t have a long A sound between the s and the r without it being Pro-say-er-pina. The closest I could get would be Pro-sair (like air)-pina. Either way, I’m not a huge fan of this name. I love the nickname [name_u]Pippin[/name_u] though! I just think that in a class of kindergarteners, someone would inevitably point out the pee sound, and in a class of middle schoolers, there is a lot of teasing potential with the latter two syllables.
[name_f]Cassiopeia[/name_f]- I love this name! I don’t think that the meaning is a huge deal- yeah, it would be cool to know that you had an awesome mythical figure that you were named after, but it’s not a huge problem if you don’t. [name_m]Chip[/name_m] is a delightful nickname, too! It sounds so starry and beautiful. Also, [name_u]Cass[/name_u] is a nice nn. I’m not a huge fan of the name [name_f]Pearl[/name_f], but it does sound good with [name_f]Cassiopeia[/name_f]. I also like [name_f]Cassiopeia[/name_f] [name_u]Jule[/name_u], but see above, so maybe [name_f]Cassiopeia[/name_f] [name_f]Juliet[/name_f]?
Olympias This name is… okay to me. First, I must say that [name_f]Olympe[/name_f] to me will always be the headmistress from Madame [name_u]Maxime[/name_u]’s school from [name_m]Harry[/name_m] [name_m]Potter[/name_m]. I just don’t really like the sound of this name very much, although Olympias is better than [name_f]Olympe[/name_f] and [name_f]Olympia[/name_f] to me. I like Olympias [name_f]Helene[/name_f] (I know it wasn’t on your list but it’s close)

Others:
[name_f]Calliope[/name_f] “[name_f]Poppy[/name_f]”- YES. I love the nn [name_f]Poppy[/name_f], and [name_f]Calliope[/name_f] is such a pretty name! Probably my favorite. It, like [name_f]Cassiopeia[/name_f], sounds really starry.
[name_m]Calixto[/name_m]- the first thing I think of is [name_f]Calico[/name_f]. Other than that, the name sounds sort of evil to me for some reason :joy:. I like [name_f]Callisto[/name_f] though, and it has some cool [name_u]Artemis[/name_u]-y connotations.
[name_f]Esmerelda[/name_f] “[name_f]Zazie[/name_f]” “[name_f]Zelda[/name_f]”- Hmmm… [name_f]Esmeralda[/name_f] is a nice enough name. [name_f]Zazie[/name_f] just sounds so… ugh. It seems like a material, foolish, superficial girl with a high ponytail that she flings around. Especially next to H and A, which sound commanding and bold, [name_f]Zazie[/name_f] reminds me of the girl from Clueless who ends up dating her own stepbrother. [name_f]Zelda[/name_f] just doesn’t have a nice sound to me.
[name_f]Rosamund[/name_f]- ooh, I like this name. It seems to have a very different vibe than H and A, though. It sounds classic and stately and english, not like the more greek-y tone of the others.
[name_f]Rosmerta[/name_f]- I really like this name. And another HP association! It doesn’t fit in with your boys as well as some of the others though, sound-wise.
[name_f]Maxima[/name_f]- I’m not a fan of this name.
[name_f]Octavia[/name_f] “[name_f]Vita[/name_f]”- This name, like [name_m]Calixto[/name_m], just sounds sort of evil to me. The nn [name_f]Vita[/name_f] is really nice, although rather like Vitamin. What about just the name [name_u]Vida[/name_u]?
[name_f]Cosima[/name_f]- oooooh, this is a really pretty name! It does sound space-y (not in the way that like someone who’s zoning out is, space-y like related to space :joy:)

Favorites:
[name_f]Cassiopeia[/name_f] ([name_u]Jule[/name_u]/[name_f]Juliet[/name_f])
[name_f]Calliope[/name_f]
[name_f]Cosima[/name_f]

I agree with @IrinaNicolaStrong that [name_f]Andromeda[/name_f] is kind of cool, but I don’t like how it starts with the same letter as your younger son.

1 Like

[name_f]Minerva[/name_f] is my favorite for you from this list—you and your husband both love it and have history with it, the meaning and associations are positive, the sound just sparkles, it manages to be both rare and familiar, so that you likely won’t meet another one but most people will know how to pronounce it… [name_u]Love[/name_u], love, love. [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] [name_u]Jule[/name_u] is pretty, but I have a soft spot for alliteration, and my eyes lit up at [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] [name_f]Marigold[/name_f] and [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] Margali.

1 Like

Also wanted to add: I have a hard time saying [name_f]Proserpina[/name_f] the way you pronounce it—like physically making the sounds come out right. I think it’s the combination of the syllable emphasis and the long A in the second syllable. I keep saying it out loud, and the only way I get close is by adopting a vaguely European accent. :grimacing: Maybe that won’t be a stumbling block for others, or maybe it wouldn’t bother you/her, but that’s my main reservation about the name.

1 Like

In-depth, I can do. Coherent, well, I’ll let you decide on that one.

I’ll rank them from favorite to least and explain why I put them there!

[name_f]Minerva[/name_f]- this is my absolute favorite. You’re right, the associations are about as badass as they come, from a [name_m]Roman[/name_m] goddess (goddess of wisdom, war strategy, arts, poetry, education, and more! [name_m]How[/name_m] cool is that?) to Professor McGonagall (and, to that extent, the amazing [name_f]Maggie[/name_f] [name_m]Smith[/name_m]). Also, [name_f]Minnie[/name_f] Mouse’s full name is [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] Mouse, and let me tell you, the Halloween costume potential there is unrivaled. I have to be honest, the “nerve” sound never bothered me or stuck out to me in the name because I sort of separate the sounds when I say it? The name is mih-NER-va instead of mih-NERVE-uh, if that makes any sense. I also think the slightly odd middle syllable gives the name personality and strength, so it’s something that easily stands with her brothers’ names. [name_f]Minna[/name_f] is absolutely adorable, as is [name_f]Nim[/name_f], but I also just love the name in full.

For the middle names, I have to agree with @dogs_books that [name_u]Jule[/name_u] only reminds me of juul, although I sincerely hope that juul and juuling are not relevant by the time anyone in her life might be old enough to make the connection. [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] Geneviève is my favorite (I adore the [name_u]French[/name_u] pronunciation) but I also like the alliteration of [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] [name_f]Marigold[/name_f].

[name_f]Persephone[/name_f]- I’ve always loved how this name sounds. It’s like [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] but 10x cooler and with way more spunk. I don’t remember how/when I learned how to pronounce this name but I never said it purse-a-phone, and I’d like to have enough faith in the education system that teachers at least wouldn’t butcher it either. I think [name_f]Effie[/name_f] is adorable but I’m not the biggest fan of [name_f]Perle[/name_f]. As for the meaning, I think it’s only as big of a deal as you make it out to be. [name_f]Persephone[/name_f] is a pretty cool namesake so if you play up how fun it is to be named after a goddess (at least, I think it would be fun), I don’t think the meaning would matter as much. The name is a bit dark but I think it’s dark in a cool, metal sort of way, not in an evil or malevolent way.

As a dancer, my favorite middle has to be [name_f]Persephone[/name_f] [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f]. I also adore [name_f]Persephone[/name_f] [name_f]Aster[/name_f] though, just to kick the spring goddess gear up a notch!

[name_f]Cassiopeia[/name_f]- I completely understand the mythological downfall of this name. It’s sort of the opposite of [name_f]Persephone[/name_f] in that the namesake is not ideal but the meaning (“cassia juice”) is neutral at worst. The constellation is pretty awesome though, and it’s one that’s easily spotted in the night sky. I read a book last summer about a girl named Casiopea who was named after the constellation and absolutely loved her name because of its connection to the stars. That was what made me really consider [name_f]Cassiopeia[/name_f]. I also agree that she fits in perfectly with her brothers, and I love the -io connection as well. I think [name_f]Cassie[/name_f], [name_f]Cassia[/name_f], [name_f]Pia[/name_f], or [name_m]Chip[/name_m] would be lovely nicknames, especially because I can see them working for many personalities.

[name_f]My[/name_f] favorite middle is [name_f]Cassiopeia[/name_f] [name_f]Nell[/name_f]. I just love [name_f]Nell[/name_f] and it softens the name perfectly. I also like [name_f]Cassiopeia[/name_f] Hélène.

Olympias- much like with [name_f]Minerva[/name_f], I actually didn’t even notice the “limp” syllable in this and [name_f]Olympia[/name_f]/[name_f]Olympe[/name_f] until you pointed it out. Go figure. Again, I say these more like oh-LIM-pee-as instead of oh-LIMP-ee-as so the sounds aren’t connected. I love [name_f]Olympia[/name_f]. [name_f]My[/name_f] drawback with this is that it doesn’t really strike me as a name. I guess it reminds me more of [name_m]Olympus[/name_m], which to me is a mountain and a place, than [name_f]Olympia[/name_f], which would be a name. Still, I love that it means so much to you and your spouse, and I think it’s a great compromise between your loves and drawbacks about [name_f]Olympia[/name_f].

Lots of great middles here! [name_f]My[/name_f] favorite is Olympias [name_f]Hermione[/name_f]. Honorable mentions go to Olympias [name_f]Elinor[/name_f], Olympias [name_f]Marigold[/name_f], and Olympias [name_f]Helena[/name_f].

[name_f]Proserpina[/name_f]- first of all, I had no idea I’ve been mispronouncing this all my life. I’ve been saying it pross-er-PEE-na, and honestly… I like that more. I really want to like this because it has such a beautiful appearance but I can’t. When I say it out loud (correctly), all I hear is the word “serpent”. I know, crazy that I glanced over “nerve” and “limp” but can’t hear anything but “serpent” in [name_f]Proserpina[/name_f]. It has a darker sound to me, much darker than the vibes [name_f]Persephone[/name_f] gives. I like the imagery of the rosy bramble… unfortunately, there’s just now a snake in there. Second, a previous poster on one of your threads mentioned that the first thing that comes up when you type [name_f]Proserpina[/name_f] into Google is “the rape of [name_f]Proserpina[/name_f]”. I know you addressed that before but it was the nail in the coffin for the name for me. It’s not like [name_f]Cassiopeia[/name_f], which has a negative association but most people’s (generalizing a bit but I’m assuming not everyone is a mythology nerd) first thought is the constellation, and when you Google it, lo and behold, that’s what comes up. I guess what I’m saying is that I understand that by “rape”, they more meant “abduction”, but I wouldn’t expect the general population to know that, and I wouldn’t want the word “rape” anywhere near my child’s name just in general. But I digress. The name certainly has its perks, it’s just had a rough couple weeks in terms of my feelings about it.

Of your considerations, I love [name_m]Calixto[/name_m] and [name_f]Cosima[/name_f]!

2 Likes

[name_f]Minerva[/name_f] - this name feels so wise and intriguing but it comes with the cute, wearable nn [name_f]Minnie[/name_f] or [name_f]Minna[/name_f]! [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] [name_u]Jule[/name_u] is so full of elegance and wisdom! [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] is sophisticated and i love [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] [name_f]Mabli[/name_f] to

[name_f]Persephone[/name_f] is gorgeous. It’s all things dark yet blossoming and i love the lyrical flow. [name_f]Persephone[/name_f] [name_u]Jule[/name_u] ‘[name_f]Perle[/name_f]’ is charming but i love the sophistication of [name_f]Persephone[/name_f] [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f]! [name_f]Persephone[/name_f] [name_f]Elin[/name_f] is light and lovely too

Prosperina -not my favourite, i must admit. It reninds me of porpoises, sorry. Perhaps it could grow on me though. [name_f]Proserpina[/name_f] [name_f]Marigold[/name_f] has a lot of charm

[name_f]Cassiopeia[/name_f] is so grand and lovely - and i love how starry and celestial it feels! [name_f]Cassiopeia[/name_f] [name_u]Jule[/name_u] and [name_f]Cassiopeia[/name_f] [name_f]Nell[/name_f] are beautiful

Olympias - i prefer [name_f]Olympia[/name_f] as Olympias sounds like a masculine variation. However, now I’m thinking about it, Olympias is kind of cool -it has a kind of gentleness, a lyrical quality. Olympias - yes, i think it’s growing on me.
Olympias [name_f]Opal[/name_f] is sweet and i love Olympias [name_u]Honor[/name_u] too

[name_f]Calliope[/name_f], “[name_f]Poppy[/name_f]” - this is wonderful. I love the sounds and [name_f]Poppy[/name_f] ia the cutest

[name_m]Calixto[/name_m] -not my favourite, a little awkward to say

[name_f]Esmeralda[/name_f], “[name_f]Zazie[/name_f]” and “[name_f]Zelda[/name_f]” -mystical and magical

[name_f]Rosamund[/name_f] -literary and lovely

[name_f]Rosmerta[/name_f] - intriguing, i really enjoy the sounds

[name_f]Maxima[/name_f] -its a bit top close to maximum to me

[name_f]Octavia[/name_f], “[name_f]Vita[/name_f]” - i love the unexpected nickname

[name_f]Cosima[/name_f] , “[name_f]Cosette[/name_f]” -love the unexpected nn and the starry feel of [name_f]Cosima[/name_f]. It matches well with your boys

1 Like

[name_f]Minerva[/name_f] - I love [name_f]Minerva[/name_f]. I think it’s bold and brave, while still being sweet. I associate the name with books and magic, which I really love. [name_f]Minna[/name_f] and [name_f]Nim[/name_f] are both great, I personally prefer [name_f]Nim[/name_f]! [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] [name_f]Marigold[/name_f] is stunning. I love the alliteration, and the name just sounds so bright and warm. Like laughter and sunshine. [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] is also very pretty!

[name_f]Persephone[/name_f] - [name_f]Persephone[/name_f] is one of my absolute favorite names, especially with the nickname [name_f]Effie[/name_f]. I think it’s such a beautiful, badass name. I completely understand the reservations with the dark associations. For some reason though, my mind always associates the name with the good. life, flowers, fighting back, and staying alive. I think behind the darkness, is strength and love. I get the pronunciation issue too, I’ve seen a lot of people pronounce it incorrectly! [name_f]Persephone[/name_f] [name_u]Jule[/name_u] and [name_f]Persephone[/name_f] [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] are both beautiful. I think both middles add a certain sweetness to [name_f]Persephone[/name_f].

[name_f]Proserpina[/name_f] - you’ve made me fall for [name_f]Proserpina[/name_f] through your posts. The way you describe it is so beautiful. I love the sweet, light sounds of this name. I think [name_u]Pippin[/name_u] is very cute too! I like that you feel more good things when it comes to this name. I also like that it’s unusual, but only in the best ways. [name_f]My[/name_f] only issue would be that I could see a lot of potential pronunciation issues. Though that doesn’t seem to be too much of a problem with you! [name_f]Proserpina[/name_f] [name_f]Elinor[/name_f] is stunning.

[name_f]Cassiopeia[/name_f] - this is still my favorite with your boys! I love everything about this name, and you already know I can go on and on about how perfect it is paired with H & A. I love the beauty and spunk of the name, and that hidden “io” is one of my favorite parts. I know the mythology isnt that great, but I feel as the constellation makes up for it, at least to me. Because of it, it reminds of a little girl with flowers in her hair and stars drawn onto her cheeks like freckles.
I love the idea of [name_m]Chip[/name_m], too!
[name_f]Cassiopeia[/name_f] [name_f]Nell[/name_f] and [name_f]Cassiopeia[/name_f] [name_f]Helene[/name_f] are my favorites, but all of your combos are gorgeous.

Olympias - I love how meaningful this is for you and your family. I personally don’t love it, but only because I’m so used to seeing [name_f]Olympia[/name_f] that the ‘s’ throws it off for me. I do, however, looove [name_f]Plum[/name_f]! Olympias [name_f]Opal[/name_f], Olympias [name_u]Honor[/name_u], and Olympias [name_f]Hermione[/name_f] are all perfect.

from your others list, I really love
[name_f]Calliope[/name_f] “[name_f]Poppy[/name_f]” - reminds me of [name_f]Cassiopeia[/name_f] but slightly more familiar. I think [name_f]Poppy[/name_f] is cute and full of life. Also love the associations [name_f]Calliope[/name_f] has!
[name_m]Calixto[/name_m] - this one is beautiful, edgy, and has that matching “o”
[name_f]Esmeralda[/name_f] - so lovely and mystical. [name_f]Zazie[/name_f] and [name_f]Zelda[/name_f] are both adorable and spunky, and really go well with your boys.
[name_f]Maxima[/name_f] - I’m not sure if this goes as perfectly with your boys names, but it does match pretty well! I have a soft spot for [name_u]Max[/name_u].
[name_f]Octavia[/name_f] - love the strength and power of this name. [name_f]Vita[/name_f] makes it friendly and down to earth.

1 Like

[name_f]Minerva[/name_f] [name_u]Jule[/name_u], [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] sound like they have a special spot for you, don’t second-guess yourself just because they’ve been in your head for a while. (I happen to really enjoy the alliteration of [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] [name_f]Marigold[/name_f]!)

[name_f]Persephone[/name_f] [name_u]Jule[/name_u] and [name_f]Persephone[/name_f] [name_f]Aster[/name_f] stand out from these combos. [name_f]Perle[/name_f] is a sweet name to go by.

It was hard for me to get [name_f]Proserpina[/name_f] out of my mouth. Without a nickname, I could imagine your daughter feeling frustrated when people mispronounce her name.

[name_f]Cassiopeia[/name_f] [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] shines in this set, with the sounds complimenting each other really well.

Olympias [name_f]Opal[/name_f] and Olympias [name_f]Elinor[/name_f] are my picks from this set.

1 Like

[name_f]Rosemund[/name_f]: recognizable, but still possesses some quirky fun!

Exactly. I feel this same way about my other kids’ names, too.

@IrinaNicolaStrong, I do love [name_f]Andromeda[/name_f] (we considered it before getting pregnant the first time, but yes, as @dogs_books pointed out, the initial A is a barrier right now, plus [name_f]Andromeda[/name_f] Strain??)

@dogs_books, [name_u]Min[/name_u] is cute. Not sure I like it as much or more than [name_f]Nim[/name_f], but I’ll sit with it. [name_f]Juul[/name_f] is something I’ve gotta deal with. I’ve loved [name_u]Jule[/name_u] for so long and it is such an important name for me and my family in multiple important ways that I just can’t give it up without REALLY thinking about it. Head over heels is definitely like a face splat. That’s the way I’ve always thought of it at least, it’s the “falling” in love bit. Like you’re just totally biffing it and your heels go backwards over your head like old slapstick [name_u]Charlie[/name_u] [name_m]Chaplin[/name_m] stuff…??
[name_f]Minerva[/name_f] [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] is a nice name, but [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] is so strong and mature, while [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] is a whiny, early adolescent. I love the sounds of [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] ([name_f]Violet[/name_f], [name_f]Amoret[/name_f], etc. I love the et ending, and [name_u]Juli[/name_u] is so soft and elegant), but something about her doesn’t sit right with me. Plus the hard K at the start of our last name makes the et ending sound clumsy…?
pro-SAIR-pina is definitely along the lines. It is the same Ser as [name_f]Seraphina[/name_f].

I love this description! And yes, there is an appeal in O, A, and I being THE vowels of the sibset. It helps them match without being matchy. Brother 1 being O A IO. Brother 2 being A A A IO. and Olympias = O sometimes-y IA. Beautiful! [name_f]Cassiopeia[/name_f] and [name_f]Proserpina[/name_f] do this, too, but add an E, and the vowels aren’t as prominent in either name like they are with Olympias.

Oh, I love your description of [name_f]Proserpina[/name_f]!

Agreed!

You bring out so many of the positives of [name_f]Minerva[/name_f]. It certainly does sparkle. Oh, I love it!

It does seem to be approaching consensus that it is difficult to enunciate, even when you know how it should sound and where to put the emphasis.

Agreed. I’m with you on the pronunciations. I think this is why the “nerve” and “limp” don’t bother me. I’ve just seen those reservations and cautions come up time and time again in other posts so wanted to address them.

:black_heart:

Totally with you here and love your humorous comparison between [name_f]Persephone[/name_f] and [name_f]Cassiopeia[/name_f]. I agree that if I’m picking [name_f]Cassiopeia[/name_f], it is definitely for the constellation, not the cassia juice!

:wilted_flower: :rose: :snake: :wilted_flower: :wilted_flower:
Well. Olympias has the snake association going on, too, too. I had noticed this about [name_f]Proserpina[/name_f], same root as serpent and serpentine (which is more the bramble-y feeling for me). It does sound very Slytherin.

And yes, I still plan to post some more coherent thoughts about the “rape of” thing at some point soon. I’ve been thinking about it a little each day. Thank you for all the thoughts! You were definitely coherent and I appreciate the analysis.

[name_f]Minerva[/name_f] [name_u]Jule[/name_u] is lovely!

I love this! Thank you!

I totally get that and it is part of what I love about the goddess, the from the dark and dank places springs forth new life that lives and dies in cycle. It is beautiful imagery, I just worry that the literal meaning/etymology is so pejorative next to her brothers. I had the same issues with [name_m]Ulysses[/name_m] and he has dropped WAY down my boys’ list because of it.

Aww, yay! A [name_f]Proserpina[/name_f] convert, even if just for me.

:star_struck: :dizzy:

1 Like

Thanks, @flamingo ! I have to keep that in mind as I move forward and let these percolate. [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] [name_u]Jule[/name_u] used to be my absolute top combo back before I was pregnant the first time around. It is so hard to listen through all the noise of all the names I’ve loved through the years to feel what really and truly is my favorite. I now have one chance to have one girl (though still mostly hoping for a team of boys) with one name. [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] [name_u]Jule[/name_u] does draw me and I’ll have to keep trying to pay attention to my intuition.