Seeking opinion on the short list

I’m torn. What are some of your thoughts on our name list? We’re locked in to a family tradition of using my hubby’s name ([name]Eric[/name]) as a middle name, but I also want to represent my dear grandfather, [name]Harold[/name]. So, some names have two middles and some do not, depending on if the first name honors my grandfather in a different way (H name, meaning, etc.). We’re looking for something classic, but not overused. Any opinions are welcome!

[name]Frederick[/name] [name]Eric[/name] (I fear [name]Frederick[/name] may become too popular)
[name]Harrison[/name] [name]Eric[/name] (I love it but hubby is hesitent since our last name begins with “Har”, it’s also a bit trendy)
[name]Arthur[/name] [name]Eric[/name] [name]Harold[/name]
[name]Finn[/name] [name]Eric[/name] [name]Harold[/name]
Finnias [name]Eric[/name] [name]Harold[/name]
[name]George[/name] [name]Eric[/name] [name]Harold[/name]
[name]Franklin[/name] [name]Eric[/name] [name]Harold[/name]
[name]Weston[/name] [name]Eric[/name] [name]Harold[/name]

PS - I’m not sure if this matters, but our child will be VERY fair and VERY tall (probably over 6’8"). He will stand out, and probably experience some awkward teenage years (based on my hubby and my bro). Therefore I’m not sure if any of these names will help or hinder his social graces. Thanks for your time!

[name]Hi[/name] there! :slight_smile:

[name]Frederick[/name] [name]Eric[/name]: I really love [name]Frederick[/name], but to me, it doesn’t work with [name]Eric[/name], because both names end with a “ric” sound. (On second look, [name]Frederick[/name] actually contains the name “[name]Eric[/name].”)

[name]Harrison[/name] [name]Eric[/name]: I like [name]Harrison[/name], too, but not with [name]Eric[/name]. (“Har” and the “Er” sounds rhyme to me…)

[name]Arthur[/name] [name]Eric[/name] [name]Harold[/name]: I think [name]Arthur[/name] is handsome, but depending on where you live, it may be pretty “out there.” (I personally love it!)

[name]Finn[/name] [name]Eric[/name] [name]Harold[/name]: This one doesn’t flow for me…

Finnias [name]Eric[/name] [name]Harold[/name]: I’m used to [name]Phineas[/name] or [name]Finnian[/name], but I think this flows pretty well…

[name]George[/name] [name]Eric[/name] [name]Harold[/name]: I’d personally use a longer name up front…

[name]Franklin[/name] [name]Eric[/name] [name]Harold[/name]: [name]Franklin[/name] [name]Eric[/name] doesn’t flow to me, but I like the name! :slight_smile:

[name]Weston[/name] [name]Eric[/name] [name]Harold[/name]: I think [name]Weston[/name] is trendier than [name]Harrison[/name], and [name]Harrison[/name]'s trendy feel bothered you.

I totally understand that you’re locking in with [name]Eric[/name] and [name]Harold[/name], but because both have two syllables and start with a similar sound, the flow of the combos are taking a hit. Hmm…

Are other “Har” names an option? I’m thinking of [name]Harvey[/name], [name]Harmon[/name], or [name]Harlan[/name], because they begin with a “Har” sound, as opposed to a “Hair” sound that rhymes with [name]Eric[/name]'s “[name]Air[/name]” sound.

I think that longer names (at least three syllables) work best for the flow:

[name]Benjamin[/name] [name]Eric[/name] [name]Harold[/name]/[name]Harlan[/name]/[name]Harvey[/name]/[name]Harmon[/name]
[name]Elliot[/name] [name]Eric[/name] H… (not the best flow…)
[name]Finnian[/name] [name]Eric[/name] H…
[name]Nathaniel[/name] [name]Eric[/name] H…
[name]Sullivan[/name] [name]Eric[/name] H…
[name]Sebastian[/name] [name]Eric[/name] H… (Wait…I think [name]Sebastian[/name] and [name]Eric[/name] are both from “The [name]Little[/name] Mermaid”)
[name]Samuel[/name] [name]Eric[/name] H…
[name]William[/name] [name]Eric[/name] H…

Best wishes to you! :slight_smile:

Great feedback! Thank you so much. I actually meant to type [name]Finnian[/name] and not Finnias, so good catch. [name]Eric[/name] is so hard to work with - I find myself really ticked at his parents :slight_smile: Thanks again!

I hope that you don’t think my ideas are too way out. I have a combo or two for you to consider.

[name]Harry[/name] [name]Eric[/name] [name]Arthur[/name] I like the flow and I love [name]Harry[/name]

It is not on your list but I think that [name]Charles[/name] nn [name]Charlie[/name] would suit your extra tall, fair son as it is dignified as [name]Charles[/name] and engaging as [name]Charlie[/name]. Not too way out or dorky, a classic that cannot be overlooked.

[name]Charles[/name] [name]Eric[/name] [name]Harold[/name].

[name]Harold[/name] [name]Eric[/name] [name]Weston[/name] nn [name]Harry[/name]

[name]Tobias[/name] [name]Eric[/name] [name]Harold[/name] nn [name]Toby[/name] love this nn.

[name]Jordan[/name] [name]Eric[/name] [name]Arthur[/name] (reminds me of [name]George[/name])

[name]James[/name] [name]Eric[/name] [name]Finnian[/name] I know [name]James[/name] is popular but it is one of my all time loves and it flows in this combo.

[name]Frederick[/name] [name]Eric[/name] In this combo you have [name]Eric[/name] repeated ie, erick in [name]Frederick[/name] and [name]Eric[/name] mn. So that would be repeating the name unnecessarily.

[name]Harrison[/name] [name]Eric[/name] I think it may be a problem which is a shame as it is my favourite from the list.

[name]Arthur[/name] [name]Eric[/name] [name]Harold[/name] I do not like [name]Arthur[/name] as a first name, but if it flowed properly I would put it at the end of the combo.

[name]Finn[/name] [name]Eric[/name] [name]Harold[/name] I think the combo flows but I just don’t see it on the man you describe.

[name]George[/name] [name]Eric[/name] [name]Harold[/name] I find [name]George[/name] a bit short and sharp, maybe [name]Robert[/name] [name]Eric[/name] [name]Harold[/name] nn [name]Robbie[/name]?

[name]Franklin[/name] [name]Eric[/name] [name]Harold[/name] I like [name]Franklin[/name] but nn of [name]Frank[/name] is not my style. I think [name]William[/name] [name]Eric[/name] [name]Harold[/name] nn [name]Will[/name] is very nice

[name]Weston[/name] [name]Eric[/name] [name]Harold[/name] [name]Weston[/name] is trendy, and much nicer than [name]Preston[/name] but as you seem to like old fashioned classics this one seems an unusual choice. It is nice though.

If you wanted something a little more traditional

[name]Edward[/name] [name]Eric[/name] [name]Harold[/name] nn [name]Ward[/name]

PS I like the suggestions of [name]Sebastian[/name], [name]Nathaniel[/name] nn [name]Nate[/name] and [name]Elliott[/name]

[name]Frederick[/name] [name]Eric[/name] (I fear [name]Frederick[/name] may become too popular) - The “erick” and [name]Eric[/name] are too similar
[name]Harrison[/name] [name]Eric[/name] (I love it but hubby is hesitent since our last name begins with “Har”, it’s also a bit trendy) - Too much “har”. [name]Will[/name] end up sounding like a bunny in a children’s book which is great for a baby or toddler, but hard on a grown man, especally a very tall one.
[name]Arthur[/name] [name]Eric[/name] [name]Harold[/name] - [name]Love[/name]! [name]Arthur[/name] is one of my very faves! It is a clunky cool name.
[name]Finn[/name] [name]Eric[/name] [name]Harold[/name] - fun! He will be cool. This would be a great choice for your tall son.
Finnias [name]Eric[/name] [name]Harold[/name] - It’s either [name]Finnian[/name] or [name]Phineas[/name] according to Nameberry. I like [name]Phineas[/name] with [name]Eric[/name] and [name]Harold[/name] the most. NN [name]Finn[/name] would be a good idea during the awkward age.
[name]George[/name] [name]Eric[/name] [name]Harold[/name] - seems a bit tame next to [name]Arthur[/name] and [name]Finn[/name] or [name]Phineas[/name].
[name]Franklin[/name] [name]Eric[/name] [name]Harold[/name] - hard to say
[name]Weston[/name] [name]Eric[/name] [name]Harold[/name] - I like this! Sounds kind of like the [name]Wild[/name] [name]West[/name] to me. Like he likes to hang out in bars and play poker, and has a sheriff badge on his vest.

Thanks everyone - great feedback! Keep it coming!

My favorite is [name]Finnian[/name] [name]Eric[/name] [name]Harold[/name]! Very Handsome!

Did your grandfather ever go by [name]Hal[/name]? If so, what do you think of the name [name]Halston[/name]? [name]Halston[/name] [name]Eric[/name] has a nice flow . . .

The physical description that you predict for your son looks like a [name]Finn[/name] to me. I think Finnias would be a good formal name. It flows better with the middle names than [name]Finn[/name] does by itself, and [name]Finn[/name] would be the perfect nn.

Since it doesn’t seem like you want to use the name [name]Harold[/name] as a first name- could you use your grandfather’s middle or last name as your son’s first name?

I like [name]Weston[/name], I can really see it on someone tall and fair. It would open him up to the great nn [name]Wes[/name] without having the imo feminine sounding [name]Wesley[/name] as a first name.

Some of the classic names suggested, such as [name]Benjamin[/name] and [name]William[/name], would be great. I can also picture him being a [name]Christopher[/name].

[name]Harrison[/name] [name]Eric[/name]
[name]Weston[/name] [name]Eric[/name] [name]Harold[/name]
[name]Christopher[/name] [name]Eric[/name] [name]Harold[/name]
[name]Christopher[/name] [name]Eric[/name] [name]Harrison[/name]

I love love love all of the above! [name]Wes[/name] is a great nickname, so I think I might lean towards [name]Weston[/name] [name]Eric[/name] [name]Harold[/name] :slight_smile: best of luck!

The name I liked most from your list was [name]Weston[/name] and I think it happens to go very well with [name]Eric[/name].

Thanks everyone - the feedback really helps. My mind changes daily… right now I’m actually leaning towards using just plain [name]Harold[/name] [name]Eric[/name] and calling him [name]Harry[/name] (always a favorite of mine). I still hesitate due to it’s extreme old fashionedness and the sing-song sound with our “Har” last name, but it could grow on me! My hubby’s fav is currently [name]Arthur[/name], but I’m still partial to [name]Weston[/name] and [name]Finnian[/name] too. Oi vey!