Seeking opinions on a few girl's names!

I wondered if I could have your opinions on a few possible name for a baby girl. They would be to go with current children’s names which are: [name]Maia[/name], [name]Lucas[/name] and [name]Cecily[/name].

[name]Adela[/name]/ [name]Adele[/name]- I think they are v pretty names but do they have enough character?
[name]Allegra[/name] (I am not in the US so I am not affected by the allergy med’n)
[name]Acacia[/name] (this may be a bit of a mad one).
[name]Jessamine[/name]- is this too frilly and can anyone think of a good nn (not [name]Jess[/name])?
[name]Paloma[/name] (we strongly considered this last time)
[name]Thalia[/name]- is this pretty enough?
[name]Xanthe[/name]- sometimes I think the ‘z’ sound is a little harsh…

Others still on the list are: [name]Camille[/name], [name]Cassia[/name], [name]Flora[/name], [name]Genevieve[/name], [name]Gwendolen[/name] and [name]Valentina[/name]

I don’t mind negative feedback as well as positive so don’t hold back!

Many thanks. :slight_smile:

[name]Adela[/name]/ [name]Adele[/name]- I love these names. DH vetoed, but they were high on my list. I think they have a lot of understated class.
[name]Acacia[/name] (this may be a bit of a mad one). - I’m not a fan; mostly because I don’t think the pronunciation is very intuitive.
[name]Jessamine[/name]- is this too frilly and can anyone think of a good nn (not [name]Jess[/name])? - I agree with not wanting [name]Jess[/name] as a nickname and that is enough to turn me off of this one. It’s just too frilly and almost made-up sounding to me. This is my least favorite on your list.
[name]Paloma[/name] (we strongly considered this last time) - [name]Love[/name] this one! Think it sounds great with your other kids too.
[name]Thalia[/name]- is this pretty enough? - I do think this is pretty, very pretty in fact. Also sounds good with your other kids’ names.

From the others that you’re considering, my favorite would be [name]Camille[/name]. Not a fan of the others, particularly as they go with your other kids’ names.

[name]Adela[/name]/[name]Adele[/name]: I prefer [name]Adela[/name], it’s pretty but falls a little flat for me.
[name]Acacia[/name]: There’s nothing wrong with this name, I just don’t like it.
[name]Jessamine[/name]: nn [name]Jessa[/name]? This name’s ok. I think it’s my least favorite of the list.
[name]Paloma[/name]: A name I’m considering myself, I really like it. It’s soft and elegant.
[name]Thalia[/name]: Pretty.

I also like [name]Flora[/name] & [name]Valentina[/name]. I think to complete your sib-set [name]Paloma[/name] would be the best choice, then [name]Flora[/name].

[name]Adela[/name]/ [name]Adele[/name]- I like [name]Adele[/name] better. I’m not quite sure what you mean by the lack of character.
[name]Acacia[/name] (this may be a bit of a mad one).- Yeah, I think it is mad. It kind of sticks out with the other kid’s names.
[name]Jessamine[/name]- is this too frilly and can anyone think of a good nn (not [name]Jess[/name])?- I actually think it goes with [name]Cecily[/name] really well. It is a little frilly, but not too much. I think it’s still very strong. I love this name! [name]Mina[/name] is my favorite nickname, but [name]Sam[/name] could work too.
[name]Paloma[/name] (we strongly considered this last time)- Eh. It’s not my style, but not a bad name.
[name]Thalia[/name]- is this pretty enough?- I think it’s gorgeous! Probably my second favorite, after [name]Jessamine[/name] and before [name]Adele[/name].

I have just remembered two others that I was thinking about:

[name]Allegra[/name] and [name]Xanthe[/name].

I will add them to the original list!

Never been a fan of [name]Xanthe[/name]. [name]Allegra[/name] is very pretty but the allergy medicine ruins its image a little bit for me.

You’ve made great choices for your three children’s names so I’m sure that you’ll do it again!
I [name]LOVE[/name]
[name]Adela[/name], [name]Jessamine[/name], [name]Paloma[/name] and [name]Thalia[/name] as well as [name]Camille[/name]
I LIKE
[name]Allegra[/name], [name]Flora[/name] & [name]Genevieve[/name]
The Best [name]Sib[/name] Name to go with [name]Maia[/name], [name]Lucas[/name] and [name]Cecily[/name]
[name]Adela[/name], [name]Jessamine[/name] or [name]Flora[/name]

[name]Hi[/name]!

With [name]Maia[/name], [name]Lucas[/name], and [name]Cecily[/name], I like [name]Adele[/name] very much, and [name]Adeline[/name]. I think the name has plenty of character - it feels energetic and youthful yet still vintage and classic. I also think [name]Jessamine[/name] works nicely, but [name]Cecily[/name] and [name]Jessamine[/name] have the same “eh” sound in them - it bugs me. You could call her [name]Jessa[/name], [name]Mina[/name], or even [name]Minnie[/name]!

I don’t care for [name]Xanthe[/name] at all. It isn’t as classic as [name]Lucas[/name] and [name]Cecily[/name], and it isn’t as spunky and feminine as [name]Maia[/name]. It just really feels out of place. [name]Acacia[/name], to me, is a bit too bold, but perhaps you could use that as a middle name. I’ve never been much of a [name]Thalia[/name] fan, partly because I want to pronounce it with a “th” sound when it is really a “t” sound. [name]Paloma[/name] is pretty, but I don’t get that exotic vibe from [name]Maia[/name], [name]Lucas[/name], and [name]Cecily[/name]. It, again, feels a tad out of place. And, [name]Allegra[/name] is really pretty and has a great meaning, but, alas, it doesn’t feel “right” to me.

Off your other list, I still think [name]Flora[/name] and [name]Genevieve[/name] would be great with [name]Maia[/name], [name]Lucas[/name], and [name]Cecily[/name]. Perhaps you would also like [name]Tallulah[/name]…

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

[name]Adela[/name]- I think this name is full of character and goes well with your other children’s names. I personally prefer the variation [name]Adalia[/name].
[name]Allegra[/name]- personal favorite! :slight_smile:
[name]Acacia[/name]- not mad at all! I’ve always been a big fan of this name, and I think it fits perfectly!
[name]Jessamine[/name]- Another one to consider would be [name]Jessamy[/name]. I don’t think this makes quite as nice a sibset. Possible nns could be [name]Essie[/name], [name]Essa[/name], or [name]Mina[/name]
[name]Paloma[/name]- interesting and distinctive. I think it once again makes a nice sib set.
[name]Thalia[/name]- I’ve always thought of this name as very pretty! It’s on my list.
[name]Xanthe[/name]- once again on my list. I do worry it may be a little too out there for your other children;s names, but I love it!

I also really like [name]Camille[/name], [name]Flora[/name], and [name]Genevieve[/name]. I’m not such a big fan of [name]Gwendolen[/name] or [name]Valentina[/name]. [name]Cassia[/name] would be nice, but it automatically lends itself to the nn [name]Cassie[/name].

You have some really great options!

I really love the names you have already chosen for your other children. Out of the ones you listed my favorites are [name]Adele[/name], [name]Paloma[/name] and [name]Allegra[/name] with your other kiddos’ names. I also for some reason thought [name]Pilar[/name] when I read [name]Paloma[/name].

[name]Maia[/name], [name]Lucas[/name], [name]Cecily[/name] and [name]Adele[/name]- The only concern I might have about this is getting tongue tied with [name]Cecily[/name] and [name]Adele[/name] who share vowel sounds and l’s
[name]Maia[/name], [name]Lucas[/name], [name]Cecily[/name] and [name]Paloma[/name]- I really love this combination and think that [name]Paloma[/name] is adorable, strong and feminine-an unusually delightful combo
[name]Maia[/name], [name]Lucas[/name], [name]Cecily[/name] and [name]Allegra[/name]- without the medicine connotations, I really like the name [name]Allegra[/name]. I think it fits well with your other names, but there might be similar tongue tying issues as [name]Adele[/name]
[name]Maia[/name], [name]Lucas[/name], [name]Cecily[/name] and [name]Pilar[/name]?- I actually really love the way [name]Pilar[/name] sounds with your other names which are just off center and slightly exotic. Tongue-tying issues potentially as well…and I am sorry for suggesting where I wasn’t asked to, I couldn’t hold this one back…

Best wishes, you can’t really go wrong with this list (except maybe with [name]Xanthe[/name], [name]Zanthe[/name]… :wink: )

I love [name]Maia[/name], [name]Lucas[/name] and [name]Cecily[/name]! Such great choices. I’m particularly in love with [name]Maia[/name] and all the mythological loveliness that I associate with the name. For a sibling:

[name]Adela[/name]/ [name]Adele[/name]- I want to really love [name]Adele[/name]/[name]Adela[/name] but I simply like them. [name]Adele[/name] is feminine but not frilly, sweet but not childish and a balance of fun and serious. [name]Adela[/name] has a little extra spunkiness but I don’t think the A does a whole lot add any personality to the name. It’s a perfectly fine name, but I guess it doesn’t have all that interestingness that some of the other names on your list do. I’m also thinking that your set would be nice with another longer (three syllable, ideally) name to balance the shorter [name]Maia[/name]/[name]Lucas[/name] with the longer [name]Cecily[/name].
[name]Allegra[/name] - If you can use this name, then go for it! It carries too many associations in the US, but those aside its a wonderful name, full of personality and cute nicknames.
[name]Acacia[/name] - I just don’t love the sound of this name, and it does lend itself to pronunciation issues.
[name]Jessamine[/name]- I don’t think this is too frilly at all. I love [name]Jessamine[/name]. It goes very very nicely [name]Cecily[/name], I think. I’m with you on not loving [name]Jess[/name] as a nickname, but you could always go with [name]Jessa[/name], [name]Essie[/name], [name]Mina[/name] or [name]Minnie[/name].
[name]Paloma[/name] - I adore this name! It’s a bit exotic, but still familiar and fun. It would compliment your set nicely.
[name]Thalia[/name]- I think this name is very pretty, and I’m kind of loving that it’s another Greek mythology name. I guess the only issue with the name is pronunciation issues, since I’ve heard this pronounced THAIL-ya, THAH-lee-uh, THAL-ya, tha-[name]LEE[/name]-uh, tha-LYE-uh. And then there’s confusion with the name [name]Talia[/name], which is pronounced [name]TAL[/name]-ya/[name]TAL[/name]-ee-uh.
[name]Xanthe[/name]- I like this name but I think it’s a bit too unfamiliar with your set.

Of the other names you’re considering I adore [name]Gwendolen[/name], however if you’re a big [name]Oscar[/name] Wilde fan take note that [name]Gwendolen[/name] and [name]Cecily[/name] are both characters in “The Importance of Being [name]Ernest[/name]”. I also love [name]Flora[/name] and [name]Camille[/name], though I kind of want you to use a three syllable name. But if you don’t, then I’d say go with [name]Flora[/name]. It’s pretty and underused. [name]Hope[/name] that helps!

Thank you so much for the responses!
Okay, [name]Acacia[/name] was probably me being a little mad- that one if off the list :smiley:

I will try to reply to the individual posts later.

Thanks bedhead- I think you understand what I mean re: [name]Adele[/name]. They are so pretty but sometimes don’t seem strong enough to me. Perhaps I prefer names that stand out a little more!

Thank you v much daisy- people seem to either really like or strongly dislike [name]Jessamine[/name]. I’m a fan still! :smiley:

Thank you so much for the compliments on the children’s names, mischa!
I am really starting to love [name]Paloma[/name] again- for some reason something held me back from using it last time. [name]Jessamine[/name] is also appealing as it is slightly exotic which is what I want.

[name]Adela[/name]/ [name]Adele[/name]- I love these names, and think they match well with your other children. I like [name]Adela[/name] beter, but think [name]Adele[/name] goes better with the others.
[name]Allegra[/name] – Pretty!!
[name]Acacia[/name] – I don’t think I like this on a real person, though it is pretty
[name]Jessamine[/name]- Beautiful name, though a bit frilly. My own daughter has a frilly, 9-letter name though, so I think it’s fine!
[name]Paloma[/name] – Such a pretty name!
[name]Thalia[/name] – Really not my style. I think there is a harshness to it.
[name]Xanthe[/name] – I love [name]Xanthe[/name], but I wonder if a real girl would like it or not. I don’t know if I would like it if it were my own name. Maybe a pet name or a book character name, but I just don’t know about a real girl.

[name]Camille[/name] – Pretty, as is [name]Camilla[/name], but I don’t like it with your other children’s names.
[name]Cassia[/name] – Not sure I like it, but could grow on me.
[name]Flora[/name] – I don’t like it, and I don’t know why. It just seems like a little old lady to me. I keep picturing these old cartoon women, many of them maids.
[name]Genevieve[/name] – Pretty and great nn potential.
[name]Gwendolen[/name] – I love [name]Gwen[/name], but can’t warm up to [name]Gwendolen[/name].
[name]Valentina[/name] – [name]Don[/name]'t like it at all.

[name]Hi[/name] [name]Lemon[/name]!

I think you are a name perfectionist! You notice things that I would never have noticed like the similar sounds in [name]Cecily[/name] and [name]Jessamine[/name]. Honestly, that wouldn’t bother me. I just want to make sure it is not overly frilly. Also, some people seem not to have heard of it and think it is made up!
I know exactly what you mean re [name]Thalia[/name] and the pn issues. I think I am unlikely to use it but I do like the mythological roots (like [name]Maia[/name]).
I personally quite like [name]Paloma[/name] and [name]Allegra[/name] with the sibset as they are rather unexpected but I can see what you mean. I guess no one would have matched [name]Cecily[/name] with [name]Maia[/name] and [name]Lucas[/name] but I am happy with that- it’s not [name]Eleanor[/name], [name]William[/name] and [name]Taylor[/name]!
Thanks for the suggestion of [name]Tallulah[/name]. I like it as a name but it makes me think of a show girl (Bugsy [name]Malone[/name], I think) and it is a little cutesy for me!

[name]Adela[/name]- I think this name is full of character and goes well with your other children’s names. I personally prefer the variation [name]Adalia[/name].
[name]Allegra[/name]- personal favorite! :slight_smile:
[name]Acacia[/name]- not mad at all! I’ve always been a big fan of this name, and I think it fits perfectly!
[name]Jessamine[/name]- Another one to consider would be [name]Jessamy[/name]. I don’t think this makes quite as nice a sibset. Possible nns could be [name]Essie[/name], [name]Essa[/name], or [name]Mina[/name]
[name]Paloma[/name]- interesting and distinctive. I think it once again makes a nice sib set.
[name]Thalia[/name]- I’ve always thought of this name as very pretty! It’s on my list.
[name]Xanthe[/name]- once again on my list. I do worry it may be a little too out there for your other children;s names, but I love it!

I also really like [name]Camille[/name], [name]Flora[/name], and [name]Genevieve[/name]. I’m not such a big fan of [name]Gwendolen[/name] or [name]Valentina[/name]. [name]Cassia[/name] would be nice, but it automatically lends itself to the nn [name]Cassie[/name].

You have some really great options![/quote]

Thank you for your feedback, crescent moon.
I’m pleased to see someone if fond of [name]Allegra[/name]!

[name]Adela[/name]/[name]Adele[/name]: I think both are gorgeous and have plenty of character! I prefer [name]Adela[/name], and it goes beautifully with your other kid’s names (which I also love).

[name]Allegra[/name]: I’ve never really loved this name, probably because the ‘leg’ in the middle. I just don’t think that’s an attractive sound. That’s just me, though- otherwise it’s a pretty name.

[name]Acacia[/name]: This is probably my least favorite on your list. I don’t like the sound, and I don’t think it fits stylistically with your other kid’s names, since it’s not as established as a name.

[name]Jessamine[/name]: I love [name]Jessamine[/name]!! Are you pronouncing it -minn or -meen? I think it’s a beautiful name, but it may be a tiny bit too over the top… nicknames could be [name]Jessa[/name], [name]Sam[/name], [name]Minnie[/name], [name]Mina[/name], [name]Minna[/name], even [name]Mimi[/name] or [name]Jenny[/name] if they’re not too stretchy.

[name]Paloma[/name]: I love [name]Paloma[/name], too! It’s very nice with your other kids, but not my absolute favorite with them.

[name]Thalia[/name]: I think it’s really pretty!

From the others on your list, I love [name]Cassia[/name] and [name]Genevieve[/name]. My favorites are [name]Adela[/name], [name]Jessamine[/name], and [name]Genevieve[/name], but you can’t go wrong!

[name]Adela[/name]/ [name]Adele[/name]- I think it has loads of character! I prefer [name]Adela[/name] myself. I could definitely see this one going with your others childrens names.
[name]Allegra[/name]- If the allergy medicine isnt a problem then I think it is a lovely name.
[name]Acacia[/name] - Eh, I dont like the sound of this one.
[name]Jessamine[/name]- I think it is very cute but I not sure what other nns you could get out of it.
[name]Paloma[/name] - I dont love it but I could see it working.
[name]Thalia[/name]-It is very pretty imo.
[name]Xanthe[/name]-Might seem a little out of place in your sibset.

Others still on the list are: [name]Camille[/name], [name]Cassia[/name], [name]Flora[/name], [name]Genevieve[/name], [name]Gwendolen[/name] and [name]Valentina[/name]

I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Genevieve[/name] and [name]Gwendolen[/name]. [name]Cecily[/name] is our number one choice right now, [name]Genevieve[/name] is our third (our second is [name]Elodie[/name]). [name]Gwendolen[/name] is another name I would love to use. I love [name]Cecily[/name] and [name]Gwendolen[/name] together and the tie to [name]Oscar[/name] Wilde. Did you get Cecilys name from the play? It is one of our favorites.