Seeking opinions on a few girl's names!

[name]Adela[/name]/ [name]Adele[/name]- I think they are v pretty names but do they have enough character? - I see [name]Adele[/name] as all character and no pretty. Not that the spelling is ugly, or the pronunciation. They just don’t fit together for me. I want to say the final E somehow, and that’s why I trip over an otherwise easy pronunciation.* It does fit perfectly in your set, though.
*On pure pronunciation grounds, I probably prefer [name]Ad[/name]”le.
[name]Allegra[/name] (I am not in the US so I am not affected by the allergy med’n) - This is exactly the sort of musical name I like, not the [name]Lyric[/name] and [name]Cadence[/name] that are more common.
[name]Acacia[/name] (this may be a bit of a mad one). - [name]Love[/name] the symbolism. Another of the interesting [name]Anastasia[/name] alternatives.
[name]Jessamine[/name]- is this too frilly and can anyone think of a good nn (not [name]Jess[/name])? - I’m not the one to ask about ‘too frilly’. This is the sort of name for me, the kind of person who sees [name]Jasmine[/name] as too ordinary. If you’re concerned about it fitting with the others, it doesn’t. It would fit in my (non-existent) family, where her sister would more likely be an [name]Ariadne[/name], [name]Rhiannon[/name] or [name]Aquitaine[/name] than [name]Maia[/name] or [name]Cecily[/name].
[name]Paloma[/name] (we strongly considered this last time) - I’ve loved this since I first encountered it, though that’s partly from the context of that encounter, a too-cute girl with an absolutely musical full name.
[name]Thalia[/name]- is this pretty enough? - I don’t know how to say this, and very few people do, to the extent that people with the name use varying pronunciations.

I love [name]Allegra[/name], [name]Paloma[/name], or [name]Flora[/name] to complete your sibset.

Thank you so much for the compliments, eestes. I really like the name [name]Pilar[/name]. However, I think it would sound less lovely with a Spanish accent than badly pronounced in the UK! If you have any time, would you mind giving feedback on the other names too? :smiley: :smiley:

Thank you so much freckles- you give great feedback!
I really like [name]Adele[/name]/ [name]Adela[/name]. I think they are so sweet but they don’t seem to produce such strong feelings for me as some other names- perhaps that’s what I mean by a lack of character!
I really do love [name]Gwendolen[/name] (I know of the IofE connections) but I’m not sure my husband does and, ideally, I would prefer to use something a little exotic if we have a no.4 as the children are exotic looking!

I’m back…

You’re right about [name]Maia[/name], [name]Cecily[/name], and [name]Lucas[/name] already being a somewhat unexpected set, and I don’t mean that at all in a bad way. It’s bohemian and energetic and neat! But, this does give you more to play with as far as naming styles for a fourth daughter.

I don’t think [name]Allegra[/name] feels out of place in the same way that [name]Paloma[/name] does, and I still think [name]Paloma[/name] has a very exotic feel that [name]Maia[/name], [name]Lucas[/name], and [name]Cecily[/name] do not. [name]Maia[/name] is a pretty common name. Yes, it does have mythical ties, but it isn’t [name]Artemis[/name], you know? That’s why it doesn’t feel as exotic to me. [name]Lucas[/name] is a classic, and [name]Cecily[/name] is a vintage name. Each one has history and substance. [name]Allegra[/name] fits in, style-wise, but I just don’t think it is 100% perfect with the set. It could work, though…

I was thinking of something the other day, and a name popped into my head that I thought might fit well with [name]Maia[/name], [name]Lucas[/name], and [name]Cecily[/name] - Alora. I think it is elegant yet strong. You could also spell it as [name]Elora[/name], which is actually in NB. Alora can be found on other baby name sites. [name]Just[/name] a thought!

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

I can see what you mean lemon.
I guess I think of [name]Maia[/name] in a slightly different way from you. We chose it because the children are mixed race [name]Indian[/name]/ Caucasian and [name]Maya[/name] is a traditional Hindu name meaning ‘an illusion’ in Sanskrit. We chose to spell it [name]Maia[/name] because it looks a little more feminine, is a little more ‘multicultural’ and because I loved the mythological connections. However, the name has become a lot more popular now and is used by girls of all nationalities so I guess it doesn’t seem as ‘exotic’ to most people!
Also, much as I love vintage ‘English’ classics like [name]Cecily[/name] and many others, I have tried to find slightly more ‘exotic’ names if we do have another LO, as I think it fits our family better and my husband prefers them too! I see what you are saying that [name]Paloma[/name] is more exotic than say [name]Camille[/name] or [name]Genevieve[/name] though!
I actually quite like the sound of being ‘bohemian’ :smiley:

Forgot to add- I quite like the sound of [name]Elora[/name]- I will have to look it up!

PS I love reading your opinions!

lieseysmom- thanks v much for leaving feedback. I think [name]Thalia[/name] is off the list because of pn problems, etc

[name]Adela[/name]/ [name]Adele[/name]- I know an adult [name]Adele[/name] who is spunky, smart, opinionated (in a good way) and caring. I also know an [name]Adela[/name] (pm A-dela instead of a-[name]DEL[/name]-a) who is kinda of quiet, meek and hard to get to know. I think purely because of these associations, I like the name [name]Adele[/name] but not [name]Adela[/name].
[name]Allegra[/name] – A very nice name especially if you are fortunate enough to live in a country where the pharmaceuticals haven’t ruined the name (although I wouldn’t be terribly surprised if some day the allergy medicine arrived in the UK…something to keep in mind)
[name]Acacia[/name] – I think of a fairy when I hear this name…not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing. It sounds very fantastical, which could be fine depending on what your baby is like.
[name]Jessamine[/name]- I think of a princess “…” While I don’t hate this name…I don’t love it and see that it would be botched down to nn’s always. But maybe such a princess like name is fitting for the baby…unless you’re planning on more.
[name]Paloma[/name] – I really do love [name]Paloma[/name]!! Especially with the rest of your kids! This is my vote!!!
[name]Xanthe[/name] – I think of a warrior princess when I hear this name…again, not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing…just a thing. I personally don’t love the name because it sounds kind of harsh, but as an adult it could be a great name!
[name]Camille[/name] – I picture a beautiful girl when I hear this name. I like it, but not as much as [name]Paloma[/name], but slightly more than [name]Adele[/name]
[name]Cassia[/name] – Hmmm…I am having a hard time forming an opinion on this name. I feel like if I were to meet someone named [name]Cassia[/name], I would comment at the uniqueness/coolness of the name, but then forget it…?
[name]Flora[/name] – I am pretty sure I said I liked this the first time, but am having second thoughts now. I think it would be great on a child, I just can’t picture a very serious adult [name]Flora[/name], and I think it may be a bit close to Floral…
[name]Genevieve[/name], [name]Gwendolen[/name],[name]Valentina[/name] – I think these last three would all be adorable mns. I am a huge fan of long middle names, and feel like if any of these were the first names, she would not get the benefit of the full name, but rather nicknames most of the time.

I see where you are coming from on the [name]Pilar[/name] thing…I am in New Mexico, and my hubby’s fam is all from [name]Argentina[/name], so [name]Pilar[/name] would work with the accents in my neck of the woods…I actually can’t even imagine how you would pronounce it over there!?! :slight_smile:

Let us know how you narrow the list down! Toodaloo

Many, many thanks for your feedback, irisrose! I like the nn [name]Mimi[/name] for [name]Jessamine[/name] a lot! I’m not such a big nn person as some anyway- the children are known by their full names by everyone but their parents. :smiley:

Are you planning a little [name]Cecily[/name] soon?! It is such a sweet name and seems a real darling of NBs!
I first started to like [name]Cecily[/name] after seeing a performance of IOBE as a teenager. I loved the name [name]Cecily[/name] Cardew! I also love [name]Gwendolen[/name] (although I first encountered this name when in a book rather than in the play)- it seems a very Edwardian sort of name like [name]Cecily[/name] and I picture ladies in high coloured blouses taking tea on the lawn! Sadly, I don’t think my husband likes it much an it is perhaps a little on the serious side compared to the other names.

Thx so much eestes. I know exactly what you mean re [name]Genevieve[/name], etc and nns. I can’t imagine that a little girl with any of those names would always/ regularly be called by the full name and that it such a shame to me. Much as I like some of the nns for say, [name]Genevieve[/name]- [name]Evie[/name]/ [name]Vivi[/name], etc, I much prefer the full name and would prefer it to be used.
[name]Will[/name] have to think about it if we do decide on a no.4 :smiley:

Thank you triplicate- I didn’t get around to replying last night!
I do think [name]Jasmine[/name] is a nice enough name but I know DH doesn’t like it and it seems too Disney princess now too.
The fact that [name]Jessamine[/name] has the same meaning and [name]Jasmine[/name] appeals as it makes the name seem Eastern and slightly exotic to me (husband is from SE [name]Asia[/name]). I honestly can’t picture it with the sibset you mentioned- they seem like a total mixture but maybe it’s just me! :smiley:

I was thinking that [name]Tamsin[/name] would fit nicely with [name]Maia[/name], [name]Lucas[/name], and [name]Cecily[/name]. It’s quirky and off-beat, yet still fun and feminine. With a middle name like [name]Genevieve[/name], I think it could really work. I don’t know what your kids look like, but you said they were half-[name]Indian[/name], yes? I could see [name]Tamsin[/name] working there…

([name]Just[/name] don’t call her [name]Tammy[/name]!)

Thanks lemon. That’s nice of you to suggest another name! [name]Tamsin[/name] is pretty but I dislike [name]Tammy[/name] to and the [name]Tamsin[/name] I used to know was always called [name]Tammy[/name]…
Yes, the children are mixed race as you mentioned.

I think I’d call her Zinny, but I definitely understand your reluctance!

Goodness, how embarrassing- I spelt too with one ‘o’! Apologies- will edit!

[name]Just[/name] wanted to say I’ve been a long time fan of [name]Jessamine[/name] and I think it workd really well with your other children’s names! Funny how peoples opinions can differ so much :slight_smile:

My cousin’s little girl is [name]Tamsin[/name] and always called Tamz if that helps, though I did go to school with a mean little [name]Tamara[/name] who always went by [name]Tammy[/name] so I hate that nn too! Hehe.

[name]Adele[/name] gives me the exact same feeling you mentioned of being kind of flat and I don’t know why either. It’s just like it doesn’t go anywhere even though it’s a beautiful name and should be exactly my style.

[name]Allegra[/name] is a long time favourite also and the allergy medicine thing is neither hear nor there for me. It works for [name]Allegra[/name] Versace!

[name]Acacia[/name] isn’t my style, I like unusual but I just don’t like the sound of this name sorry!

[name]Paloma[/name] is absolutely stunning :slight_smile: I really love this and it’s meaning! I think this would sound awesome with your other children’s names. It’s just a name I really like saying for some reason.

[name]Thalia[/name] - I think this name is incredibly pretty. I sometimes think too pretty and girly and maybe not strong enough but I’d never think it wasn’t pretty enough. I think the L and the “ia” ending and the 3 syllables makes it very melodic and girly. Again another cousin has a daughter with this name spelt [name]Talia[/name] so I love it! And I know a [name]Natalia[/name] who goes by [name]Talia[/name].

My favs are: 1) [name]Jessamine[/name] 2)[name]Paloma[/name] 3)[name]Allegra[/name] 4)[name]Thalia[/name]

Best of luck!

Thank you so much ljandri! You are on exactly the same wavelength as me with regards [name]Adele[/name]- I think it is beautiful but it seems a little ‘flat’ as you say. Maybe I want something a little more spunky as both of my girls are v vivacious and strong minded!
At the moment, I am v drawn to [name]Jessamine[/name] and [name]Paloma[/name] as well as [name]Genevieve[/name], [name]Camille[/name] and [name]Flora[/name] from the other list.