Segan...

Honest opinions on the name Segan. It is both of our favorite name, but not sure how the public will respond. [name]How[/name] would you pronounce it (just wondering if ppl are going to mis pronounce…) So what do you think of Segan?

Also, feel free to suggest other names. Here are some more we like to give you a sense of our style: [name]Feel[/name] free to comment on them as well, if you feel like it!

• [name]Declan[/name]
  • [name]Bridger[/name]
  • Casden
  • [name]Breccan[/name]
  • Bowan
  • [name]Sullivan[/name]
  • [name]Tiernan[/name]
  • [name]Callum[/name]
  • [name]Rio[/name]

My problem is, I like a lot but dont love any. [name]Just[/name] Segan, and we are worried…

I would pronounce Segan probably like [name]Say[/name]-gen (rhyming with Haygen) or after a second thought, maybe Sea-gen. I like either pronunciaton though:) It made me think of the Sega game, and picture a little boy that loves adventure and learning new things… It’s certainly not a name you hear everyday, but in a good way! I’m curious, how did you hear of this name?

• [name]Declan[/name]: I really like this name…i babysat an infant by this name and he was the sweetest little thing! His green eyes made me like the name even more haha…

• [name]Bridger[/name]: I can see the appeal of it! Very strong-sounding name…

• Casden: is this pronounced [name]Cass[/name]-den or Caz-den? I can see it going either way… I’ve never heard it before but it’s sweet:)

• [name]Breccan[/name]: i like it…it has a stable, strong sound but is still sweet for a baby, and i can see it aging pretty well

• Bowan: truthfully the only thing that i don’t like about this name is it feels like after it’s said, someone might tack on “arrow” (bow and arrow)… but if i recall it means strength or something? i only heard this name on a singer named [name]Matt[/name] Hammitt’s son, who was born with a syndrome that caused some of his heart to not fully develop… he is around two or three now, and thriving, so i associate this name with incredible resiliance…

• [name]Sullivan[/name]: makes me think of a blue-eyed boy who’s fun-loving but can be serious:) ages well…

• [name]Tiernan[/name]: honestly i think that second “n” in the name might cause some people to trip up on speaking the name out… maybe Tieran or Teegen as alternatives?

• [name]Callum[/name]: is this [name]Cal[/name]-um or more like column? i always pronounce it the second way… looks nice written out…

• [name]Rio[/name]: makes me think of that kids’ movie that came out a while ago…so makes me think of an adventorous boy who loves to hike and swim…

I think if you like Segan though, you should use it, especially if the both of you like it (it seems like that doesn’t happen all too often, with both parties agreeing on one name…run with it, lol). I woudn’t worry much about pronunciation too much…people do it everyday, and all it means is they just have to learn the right way to say it. I think once people would meet the child, then they would just slip into pronoucning it the right way.

I like Segan, I think it’s cool! I’m always up for names that are different but not totally out there. I would pronounce it [name]Say[/name]-gan.

I would pronounce it See-gan at first glance…unfortunately, its resemblance to Semen is what influenced that. I’m not familiar with it, but that is the first thing that pops into my head. Maybe I have spent too much time teaching middle schoolers, though? Something to be aware of, at least.

From your list I prefer [name]Declan[/name], [name]Bridger[/name], [name]Tiernan[/name], and [name]Callum[/name].

I’m a big [name]Carl[/name] [name]Sagan[/name] fan, so it looks like [name]Sagan[/name] with an e to me. I would pronounce it [name]Say[/name]-gan. (with the “gan” like in [name]Megan[/name])

Thanks for the replies! I love hearing everyone’s opinions!
Segan is pronounced See-gan. I might have made it up, not sure but it is the name of actor [name]Noah[/name] Segan. He pronounces it the same way.

Since it is now out there, the reason we are worried is because of the “semen” thing :frowning: I don’t want that to be an issue… how bad is it you think?

Yup, I thought of [name]Carl[/name] [name]Sagan[/name], so I would probably say it that way. I like See-gan better though. :slight_smile: Is it a family name?

I would pronounce it See-gan.
Not a name I’ve ever heard of. The rest of your list is very nice, I especially like [name]Bridger[/name], [name]Sullivan[/name], and [name]Tiernan[/name].

Segan to me looks like a misspelling of Sagan (as in Carl Sagan). I would pronounce it Say-gan, and I’d recommend going with that spelling/pronunciation because otherwise…semen.

I actually went to school for a couple of years with a girl named Sagan, spelled/pronounced that way. Which makes sense, since it’s so similar to Megan, but it definitely doesn’t read girly to me.

I pronounced it See-gan. If people pronounce it different than you intend, a correction wouldn’t be hard. Plus, most hear a name more than they see it written.

I didn’t think semen at all. It also doesn’t seem made up, if that makes sense. A nice name. :slight_smile:

Arial[/name] [name]Black[/name]]Thanks for the opinions! Anyone else think the semen thing is too unavoidable?? I’m super upset about that part! I’m not sure how Segan would be read as [name]Say[/name]-gan… I was thinking ppl might mispronounce it as seh-gan with a short e sound. Never crossed my mind that someone might throw a long a sound in there. Maybe Seegan?

My nephew is named [name_m]Sagan[/name_m] and I think is a very cool name!! He is named after [name_m]Carl[/name_m] [name_m]Sagan[/name_m]. I think you should keep the [name_m]SAgan[/name_m] spelling, since it is never mispronounce (he is 12). I think SEgan will be mispronounced as I would read it as SEEgan. [name_m]Sagan[/name_m] is a well known name because of [name_m]Carl[/name_m] [name_m]Sagan[/name_m], so this helps. What is funny, is that my nephew is named [name_m]Sagan[/name_m] [name_m]Maxwell[/name_m] and I have only run into a few boys named [name_m]Sagan[/name_m] and they are ALL called [name_m]Sagan[/name_m] [name_m]Maxwell[/name_m]!! I have also seen a couple of girls named [name_m]Sagan[/name_m], on Facebook, so I think it is a name that can be used either way. It is one of those names that I am starting to hear used in movies now darn it!! I like that it is so unique. I chose his name and I think it fits him perfectly as he is really intelligent!