Sell me a name

Choose one name, and really sell it.
You can only pick one
No lists, though you can list a few alternates.
And you have to say why you think someone should love / choose it.
[name_m]Say[/name_m] for a boy or girl
Include the meaning and origin of your choice

Example:
[name_m]Wyclef[/name_m]
It means dweller at the white cliff, quite [name_f]English[/name_f], for a boy
It just makes me think of something from a very romantic and classic novel
Similar in style I feel to the pleasant Wickam, that due to association is found unusable
I can just picture a little boy [name_m]Wyclef[/name_m] playing with his friends, all the Wyatts and Wesleys
Running barefoot down the beach as waves lapped at his feet
And a grown [name_m]Wyclef[/name_m] proposing on the edge of a cliff overlooking the same sea
I lovely place and nature and surname name
Underused, but with a hint of the widely used [name_m]Wyatt[/name_m] and just a little unusual.
For your consideration of course.

6 Likes

[name_f]Avalon[/name_f] (for a girl)

[name_f]Avalon[/name_f] includes the ultra popular [name_f]Ava[/name_f], but also has many other nickname possibilities: [name_u]Lonny[/name_u], [name_u]Lonnie[/name_u], [name_u]Val[/name_u], [name_f]Ally[/name_f], and [name_m]Al[/name_m]. It means ‘island of apples’ and was the place in Arthurian legend that [name_m]King[/name_m] [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] went to be healed. It sounds gorgeous and soft, while the v and l together give it a powerful streak. Elegant and dreamlike, yet fun and energetic! I can picture this on any girl, from a blonde spunky 2 year old to a teenage goth girl to a grandma knitting by the fireside! It is not too long or too short, and is very easy to spell and pronounce. Very unique but so beautiful and stunning! I have yet to know of one person who doesn’t like [name_f]Avalon[/name_f].

3 Likes

did I sell you on it? :grin:

1 Like

Winifred
It means blessed peacemaking.
It’s Welsh but easy to spell and pronounce in [name_f]English[/name_f].
It has unisex nicknaming potential, like [name_u]Win[/name_u], [name_f]Winnie[/name_f], [name_f]Winry[/name_f], [name_m]Fred[/name_m], and [name_u]Freddie[/name_u]
It’s vintage but not stuffy.
It hasn’t been in the top 1000 names since the 1960s so she would be unique.
There are great classic characters named [name_f]Winifred[/name_f], like in [name_f]Mary[/name_f] Poppins and in [name_m]Tuck[/name_m] Everlasting.

2 Likes

I am the one person who doesn’t like [name_f]Avalon[/name_f] lol.

1 Like

[name_m]Dougray[/name_m]

What, right? :thinking: But hear me out…

[name_m]Dougray[/name_m] (DOO-gray) is a super-rare surname name of shrouded-in-mystery [name_u]French[/name_u] origin, which sounds less obviously “surnamey” than more mainstream choices like [name_u]Carter[/name_u], [name_u]Hunter[/name_u], [name_u]Mason[/name_u], etc.

Its cool, distinguished sound, obscure [name_u]French[/name_u] origin and general genteel vibe is very similar to the hipster favourite [name_m]Dashiell[/name_m] to me — but of course, in true hipster style, you’d genuinely be liking this one “before it was popular” :grin:

[name_m]Dougray[/name_m] has never appeared in the SSA baby names data. In fact, I only know about it because it featured in a Name Sage post here several years back.

There is an actor called [name_m]Dougray[/name_m] [name_m]Scott[/name_m] (born [name_m]Stephen[/name_m], [name_m]Dougray[/name_m] is his grandmother’s maiden name and his middle name) who seems generally to be a good association, but not a mega-star likely to propel this distinctive name to mass popularity.

You’ve got cool nickname [name_u]Gray[/name_u], or even [name_m]Dougie[/name_m] if you’re a fan of cute retro nicknames. Any ancestral Douglases in the family will get a bonus honour.

And it’s just so uniquely itself. Nothing really sounds quite like [name_m]Dougray[/name_m]. You’ve got [name_m]Dashiell[/name_m] and [name_u]Douglas[/name_u], as mentioned, and other cool, charismatic surnames like [name_m]Ramsay[/name_m] and [name_u]Dorsey[/name_u], which kind of give me a similar vibe, but they don’t have the same polish as [name_m]Dougray[/name_m].

And despite all that, it’s practically pretty straightforward: two syllables, easy to spell, say what you see.

TL;DR [name_m]Dougray[/name_m] :ok_hand:

5 Likes

Vivian - it means life, stemming from the biblical first woman [name_f]Eve[/name_f]. It’s a beautiful feminine name, but not as frilly as [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f]. It has great nickname potential: [name_f]Eve[/name_f], [name_f]Evie[/name_f], [name_f]Fifi[/name_f], [name_f]Viv[/name_f], [name_f]Via[/name_f]… and while it’s not too popular, its quite recognizable and easily pronounced

2 Likes

Excellent sales people, anyone else want to add a name?