Sell Me On Elizabeth!

Hello, everyone! Thank you to everyone who replied to my previous thread; there were so many thoughtful and helpful comments and I very much appreciated every one of them. They really helped my husband and I understand each other’s point of view. While I’m not 100% sold on using [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] as our daughter’s name, I am more willing to consider using it in the first name slot and calling her by her middle name. While this is not what I wanted to do, I understand now that no name is going to be perfect for both of us.

Now I’m searching for the perfect [name_m]French[/name_m] middle name to honour my own [name_m]French[/name_m] roots. I love names that are pretty and feminine, and preferably three+ syllables (I just think a four syllable first name then a one or two syllable second name sounds choppy), names like [name_f]Angeline[/name_f], [name_f]Clementine[/name_f], [name_f]Gabrielle[/name_f], [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f], [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f], etc.

Please help me love [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]!

[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] is one I used to not care for at all, that is today one of my absolute favorites. Perhaps I can be of some assistance. :wink:

A thousand lovely nicknames, including some personal favorites [name_f]Ellie[/name_f], [name_f]Lily[/name_f], [name_f]Lilibeth[/name_f], [name_f]Tess[/name_f], and [name_f]Bee[/name_f]. You can almost justify anything, given its international forms. Of course this is only if you intended to get something out of [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f].

So further, some of the weirder things I love about her (because I’m weird). It’s so refined, rolls off the tongue, I so easily picture a studious, ambitious young woman or a happy baby girl. It looks so complete to my eye, too; there’s no letter hanging off the end, it’s substantial but still has delicate sounds.

[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] is actually quite sweet :). And it has so many nickname options as well [name_f]Ellie[/name_f], [name_f]Lizzie[/name_f], [name_f]Eliza[/name_f], [name_f]Beth[/name_f] etc. For the list below I’ll give nickname options from her middle name or a combination of her first and middle.
[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] [name_f]Anaelle[/name_f] “[name_f]Ana[/name_f], [name_f]Elle[/name_f], [name_f]Ellie[/name_f], Anabeth”
[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] [name_f]Danique[/name_f] “[name_u]Dani[/name_u]”
[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] [name_f]Fabienne[/name_f]
[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] [name_f]Leonie[/name_f] “[name_m]Leo[/name_m], [name_f]Lea[/name_f]
[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] [name_f]Adeline[/name_f] “[name_f]Della[/name_f], [name_f]Addie[/name_f]”
[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] Alita “[name_u]Ali[/name_u], [name_f]Lita[/name_f], [name_f]Lia[/name_f] (maybe a stretch)”
[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] [name_f]Alexandrine[/name_f] “[name_u]Alex[/name_u], [name_u]Lexi[/name_u], [name_u]Sasha[/name_u], [name_f]Xandra[/name_f], [name_u]Lexi[/name_u]-[name_f]Beth[/name_f]”
[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] [name_f]Amelie[/name_f] “[name_f]Amy[/name_f], [name_u]Lee[/name_u], [name_f]Millie[/name_f]”
[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] [name_f]Angelique[/name_f] “[name_u]Angel[/name_u], Ang, [name_u]Angie[/name_u], [name_f]Annie[/name_f] (maybe?)”
[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] [name_f]Anne[/name_f]-[name_f]Marie[/name_f] “[name_f]Annie[/name_f]”
[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] [name_f]Augusta[/name_f] “[name_f]Aggie[/name_f], Auggie”
[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] [name_f]Blanche[/name_f]
[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] [name_f]Camille[/name_f] “[name_u]Cam[/name_u], [name_f]Millie[/name_f], [name_f]Callie[/name_f]”
[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] [name_u]Carmen[/name_u]
[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] [name_f]Constance[/name_f] “[name_u]Connie[/name_u]”
[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] [name_f]Clarissa[/name_f] “[name_f]Clari[/name_f], [name_f]Lari[/name_f], [name_f]Rissa[/name_f], [name_f]Lari[/name_f], [name_f]Cari[/name_f]”
[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] [name_f]Denise[/name_f] “[name_u]Denny[/name_u]”
[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] [name_f]Gertrude[/name_f] “[name_f]Gert[/name_f], [name_f]Trudie[/name_f]”
[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] [name_f]Ida[/name_f]
[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] [name_f]Louisa[/name_f] “[name_u]Lou[/name_u], [name_f]Lulu[/name_f], Elou”
[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] [name_f]Marcelle[/name_f] “[name_f]Marcy[/name_f], [name_f]Elle[/name_f], [name_f]Ellie[/name_f]”
[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] [name_u]Valentine[/name_u] “[name_u]Val[/name_u], [name_f]Tina[/name_f]”
[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] [name_f]Eliane[/name_f] “[name_f]Ellie[/name_f], [name_f]Lia[/name_f], [name_f]Liane[/name_f]”

I am very biased, but Elizabeth is elegant and timeless. And numerous nickname possibilities. I hope whatever name you choose you can love. I will just add my two cents on going by a middle name. I have gone by my middle name since I was a kid and it is obnoxiously annoying to do so. Not saying you shouldn’t, and I know it doesn’t bother other people as much. But with any official documents, insurance, doctors etc. it just gets old having to either explain I go by my middle name or be called by my first name that I don’t like and don’t identify myself with.

Middle name ideas:

Antoinette
Celestine
Jocelyn/Jocelyne
Juliette
Katarin
Melisande
Melodie
Mirabelle
Rosalie
Seraphine

I always preferred the spelling [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f], as it seems softer that way. She could be called the standard [name_f]Lizzie[/name_f], [name_f]Ellie[/name_f], or [name_f]Beth[/name_f], but also Lissy, [name_u]Lisa[/name_u], or [name_f]Elisa[/name_f].

[name_f]Glad[/name_f] to hear you’re managing to come to a compromise, even though (of course) it wouldn’t be the first choice for either of you. But parenting is about give and take!

[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] is a strong, timeless, elegant, international classic. Your daughter would share her first name with countless eminent historical women. But I guess you know all that and are still not 100% sold…

As I see it, the really great thing about [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] for you is that it is so classic and distinctive in terms of sound that it goes with pretty much ANY other name - long, short, trendy, timeless, English or otherwise. That’s what makes it such a popular middle name choice across the spectrum of first names. This is definitely great news for you as it gives you free reign to pick whatever you like for her middle, “known as” name. There aren’t many 3-syllable firsts you could pair with an elaborate [name_m]French[/name_m] middle like [name_f]Amandine[/name_f], Ludivine, [name_f]Ottilie[/name_f], [name_f]Clementine[/name_f], [name_f]Zephyrine[/name_f], Cleophée and it not sound like overkill, but with [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] you totally can!

Hello,
some [name_m]French[/name_m] names=
[name_m]AD[/name_m]ÉLA”DE
[name_f]ADELINE[/name_f]
[name_f]AMANDINE[/name_f]
ANGÉLIQUE
AURÉLIE
[name_f]BRIGITTE[/name_f]
[name_f]CAMILLE[/name_f]
[name_f]CAROLINE[/name_f]
[name_f]CHRISTINE[/name_f]
CLÉMENCE
CLÉMENTINE
[name_f]CHRISTINE[/name_f]
[name_f]DELPHINE[/name_f]
[name_f]ESTELLE[/name_f]
EUGÉNIE
[name_f]FRANCINE[/name_f]
ÉLO”SE or HÉLO”SE
[name_f]GISELLE[/name_f]
[name_f]HORTENSE[/name_f]
[name_f]ISABELLE[/name_f]
[name_f]JACQUELINE[/name_f]
[name_f]JULIENNE[/name_f]
[name_f]JULIETTE[/name_f]
[name_f]LAETITIA[/name_f]
LUDIVINE
[name_f]MADELEINE[/name_f]
[name_f]MADELINE[/name_f]
MAGALIE
[name_f]MARCELINE[/name_f]
[name_f]MARGAUX[/name_f]/[name_f]MARGOT[/name_f]
[name_f]MATHILDE[/name_f]
[name_f]NATHALIE[/name_f]
[name_f]NOLWENN[/name_f] ([name_m]Breton[/name_m] Name)
OPHÉLIE
[name_f]PAULINE[/name_f]
[name_f]SANDRINE[/name_f]
[name_f]SOLANGE[/name_f]
[name_m]SOL[/name_m]ÈNE
[name_u]VALENTINE[/name_u]

I love the name [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]! I just don’t think you should feel pressured to use it. I think [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] is a perfect, classic, beautiful name. [name_m]French[/name_m] names I love:

[name_f]Camille[/name_f]
[name_f]Nadine[/name_f]
[name_f]Genevieve[/name_f]
[name_f]Cecile[/name_f]
[name_f]Marguerite[/name_f]
[name_f]Helene[/name_f]
[name_f]Jacqueline[/name_f]
[name_f]Margaux[/name_f]

I think [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] would be gorgeous! It flows beautifully.

[name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] sounds great in the middle spot and stands up well to [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]. It is distinct but complements it. It is [name_m]French[/name_m] but doesn’t get butchered by English speakers, and it is classic but in style right now. It could have nicknames, but doesn’t need one. I think E. [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] would be a fabulous name for a little girl/grown woman and it honors both sides of her family.

I hope I helped!

My name’s [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] [name_f]Josephine[/name_f]! [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] has a lot of cute nickname options as well like [name_u]Josie[/name_u], [name_f]Posie[/name_f], and [name_u]Jo[/name_u]. I love the name [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f], it’s a really strong and classic name! I’ve always gone by [name_f]Lizzie[/name_f] with friends, but throughout my life different people have called me different variations of my name, it’s cute! [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] is really versatile like that.

You definitely can’t go wrong with [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]! Not only is it beautifully classic but it also has such great nicknames.
[name_f]Liz[/name_f], [name_f]Lizzy[/name_f], [name_f]Lizzie[/name_f], [name_f]Betsy[/name_f], [name_f]Betty[/name_f], [name_f]Bette[/name_f], [name_f]Bett[/name_f], [name_f]Bea[/name_f], [name_f]Betta[/name_f], [name_f]Liza[/name_f], [name_f]Eliza[/name_f], [name_f]Lizbet[/name_f], [name_f]Beth[/name_f], [name_f]Libby[/name_f], [name_f]Libbie[/name_f], [name_f]Lib[/name_f], [name_f]Elle[/name_f], [name_f]Ella[/name_f] & [name_f]Ellie[/name_f]!

Middles for [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] that would be amazing…

[name_f]Allouette[/name_f], [name_f]Francine[/name_f], [name_f]Collette[/name_f], [name_f]Ines[/name_f], [name_f]Maeva[/name_f], [name_f]Fabienne[/name_f], [name_f]Severine[/name_f], [name_f]Lucienne[/name_f], [name_u]Armel[/name_u], [name_f]Anaelle[/name_f], [name_f]Maelle[/name_f], [name_f]Elodie[/name_f], [name_f]Axelle[/name_f], [name_f]Flavie[/name_f], [name_f]Isaline[/name_f], [name_f]Mailys[/name_f], [name_f]Leonie[/name_f], [name_f]Lilou[/name_f], [name_f]Faustine[/name_f], [name_f]Clea[/name_f], [name_f]Romane[/name_f], [name_f]Maelys[/name_f], [name_f]Fleur[/name_f], [name_f]Clemence[/name_f], [name_f]Danique[/name_f], [name_f]Marguerite[/name_f] and [name_u]Simone[/name_u]