Sell me on Lydia

So, my boyfriend announced yesterday that he’s kind of in love with the name [name_f]Lydia[/name_f]. I’m not such a fan, but he seems to really love it. Can any of you explain why and help me to at least like it?

[name_f]Lydia[/name_f] is pretty and has that lovely lilting sound to it. It’s similar to other names with this same sound like [name_f]Lily[/name_f], [name_f]Lila[/name_f], and [name_f]Olivia[/name_f]. It’s Biblical which seems to make a lot of people really like it since there are very few pretty-without-being-heavy Biblical girl names. It ages really well and sounds sweet and strong at the same time. It’s not my favorite name but I see the appeal!

I really like the name [name_f]Lydia[/name_f]. It’s classic and fresh at the same time. [name_f]Lydie[/name_f] is a cute, wearable nickname. I’m partial to names beginning with “L” and names ending in “a” so for me it hits all my bullet points. I can imagine a girl or woman of any type wearing it easily. (It would be on my own list if I could over the “lid” sound in the beginning.)

But as always, if you don’t like the name don’t use it! [name_m]Even[/name_m] if he loves it, if you hate it it’s not worth it.

Thank you. I guess I see the appeal, but it’s just not for me.

@silversky109 - You’re right, it’s not. I feel bad, though.

Why not a middle name? [name_f]Alice[/name_f] [name_f]Lydia[/name_f] whilst l heavy would be adorable.

[name_f]Lydia[/name_f] is pretty - it’s a timeless classic and I love the nickname “Liddy” (I guess you could also spell it [name_f]Lydie[/name_f]).

Thank you.

Wittyusername103 - He wants a Hebrew middle, but he might make an exception for [name_f]Lydia[/name_f]. I don’t know, we’ll see.

you could always use two middle names…

That’s true, we could. Thanks!

[name_f]Alice[/name_f] [name_f]Lydia[/name_f] [name_f]Eve[/name_f]
[name_f]Alice[/name_f] [name_f]Lydia[/name_f] [name_u]Ezri[/name_u]
[name_f]Alice[/name_f] [name_f]Lydia[/name_f] [name_f]Judith[/name_f]
[name_f]Alice[/name_f] [name_f]Lydia[/name_f] [name_u]Jude[/name_u]
[name_f]Alice[/name_f] [name_f]Lydia[/name_f] [name_u]Micah[/name_u]

I love [name_f]Lydia[/name_f]!
I see [name_f]Lily[/name_f] is on your list. You could name her [name_f]Lydia[/name_f] and call her [name_f]Lily[/name_f] as a nn.

[name_f]Lydia[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f]
[name_f]Lydia[/name_f] [name_f]Alice[/name_f]
[name_f]Lydia[/name_f] [name_f]Vardis[/name_f]

[name_f]Vardis[/name_f] has its root in Hebrew, and the name [name_f]Vardis[/name_f] means “rose”. [name_f]Vardis[/name_f] is a version of [name_f]Varda[/name_f] (Hebrew).

[name_f]Lydia[/name_f] sounds like a confident name. Not as fussy or frilly as a lot of girl name choices.

I’m swooning over [name_f]Alice[/name_f] [name_f]Lydia[/name_f] [name_f]Eve[/name_f].